5.0 out of 5 stars Ffffffantastic Again....
What can I say accept well worth waiting for. It took me three days of non stop reading, my husband knew once it arrived the weekend was lost.

Published on 21 Nov. 2007 by Mrs. L. S. Hewer

3.0 out of 5 stars "Unputadownable"?
Published on 31 May 2007 by Curlybing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ffffffantastic Again...., 21 Nov. 2007
Mrs. L. S. Hewer (UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Another page turner, 24 Feb. 2008
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Leaving Of Liverpool (Paperback)
The Leaving of Liverpool is another one of Maureen Lee's greats.

It tells the story of two sisters Annemarie and Mollie who are split up by a tragic turn of events - you could see exactly what was going to happen. The sort of moment when you shout "don't do it" at the televison. The story follows each sister over the next 20 years or so as they forge a path for themselves in the world. Two very different paths over two continents. Mollie in Liverpool, where she becomes very much a scouser and Annemarie in New York, where she hides the demons of her past and circumstances of her trip to the US for 15 years before it all comes flooding back, even the most famous Broadway star has its skeletons. There are plenty of wonderful supporting characters throughout, Agatha, Lev, Lizzie, Herbie, Finn and Hazel who in their own way keep Annemarie and Mollie on the path that fate has dealt with them.

I agree with other comments, and the reason why I did not give this book a 5 star was the very very quick wrapping up of everything, and the circumstances of Annemarie and Mollie being reunited. This could have so easily become a second book, if not a trilogy. Nonetheless a good read and a page turner as you become involved with the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story line, 16 Jan. 2008
T. Taylor (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Leaving Of Liverpool (Paperback)
I have become a Maureen Lee fan in the last 6 months since my sister passed on one of her novels. This book is based on 2 sisters who become parted by accident at quite a young age and both sisters are followed in the story as a contrast from Liverpool to America. I do a agree with a previous review - the ending for me was quite blunt, however still an excellent book which I found difficult to put down.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Unputadownable"?, 31 May 2007
I am an avid Maureen Lee fan and i was REALLY looking forward to this read. Although it pains me to say; I was quite disappointed. I am finding her books are starting follow an all too familiar pattern. The Pearl Street series are an all time favourite of mine and I feel anything is hard to live up to after reading these. I have gone back to an early Maureen Lee book four or five times and not been bored. The Leaving of Liverpool was a good read, but not an "unputadownable" read which is so often the case with Maureen Lee. All praise for Maureen Lee, but not quite so much as there was. Give it a read and make up your own mind.... I may be talking out of my boots!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 6 April 2010
This review is from: The Leaving Of Liverpool (Paperback)
I love Maureen Lee's books and each one is a pleasure to read. I often take them on holiday with me, as I know I can be guaranteed a gread read.

The Leaving of Liverpool starts with two sisters, Mollie and Annemarie, fleeing their small Irish village of Duneathly for Liverpool, and then to New York. However, the sisters end up being separated and, whilst Annemarie sails off to New York on the boat, Mollie ends up living her life in Liverpool. The book follows their separate stories and is a wonderful page turner.

I do agree with the other reviewer who said that the end was tied up rather quickly and conveniently, however, it didn't detract from the story or the read for me, and so I still think it deserves five stars. I highly recommend Maureen Lee's books to anybody who loves a good saga and a tale of family life.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE LEAVING OF LIVERPOOL, 10 April 2007
Mhughes "melanh56" (st albans,hertfordshire,uk) - See all my reviews
Another great Maureen Lee. As expected unput-downable. Be prepared to be drawn into the story, the characters and their lives and the 2 parallel stories of what is happening to each of the sisters on the opposite side of the atlantic.

My own critism is the way in which the sisters are re-united,slightly too far fetched from the rest of the story.

But dont be put off, you will not be dissappointed with this or any of Maureens novels..I love them all!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Leaving of Liverpool, 23 Feb. 2011
Absolutaly fantastic, could not put it down. I found the story very emotional and she really brought the characters to life, which made you feel like you were going through the dramas yourself. It was my 1st Maureen Lee novel and it certinaly wont be my last as i have read 3 more since this 1. Would highly reccommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story about two sisters leaving Liverpool as children for ..., 25 Feb. 2015
Item arrived in pristine condition. Good story about two sisters leaving Liverpool as children for a new life in America, and their very different experiences along the way - because due to a bizarre mix up they get separated at the pLeeort in Liverpool......... Definitely worth a read from top author Maureen

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book!, 15 July 2014
I would recommend Maureen Lee,s books to anyone, once I pick them up I can't put them down. I just feel like I am there with them. BRILLIANT.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 28 Jun. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have a copy on both my Kindles - just in case I want to read it a third time!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Leaving Of Liverpool
The Leaving Of Liverpool by Maureen Lee (Paperback - 5 Feb. 2009)