4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Different Dexter

Published on 28 Mar 2008 by Mrs. T. Tattersall

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as first two books, 28 Mar 2008
Mrs. T. Tattersall (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Hardcover)
I must admit, I came into the Dexter universe from the TV series. I loved it and wanted to know more, so naturally I picked up the books (the first two). I loved them, but I did prefer the second book to the first - probably because I actually preferred the TV series to the first book - it seemed to make more sense and flow better, which is saying something because I rarely prefer TV or film to the actual books they're based on. So naturally when the third book came out I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Having just finished reading it, I must admit that the format is different to the previous books. It is much less your standard crime thriller with the Dexter twist, its almost more of a horror, with the idea of the God. However having started my forray into reading on the likes of Stephen King and Dean Koontz I did still enjoy it, although not quite as much as the others. My advice would be that if you are a fan of Dexter, you cannot help but read this book and there are many parts of it which will give the reader further insight into how he came to be and exactly what his Dark Passenger is, but I must admit a curiosity as to exactly where the author will go from here. Personally I hope it is back to the original format, as that worked for me and made me laugh about things I really shouldn't laugh about - but hey. That's just Dexter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Disapointing Dexter, 14 Aug 2008
John F. W. Richards (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Paperback)
Although Jeff Lindsay's third Dexter novel does have some of the style that made the first two enjoyable there is an irritating strand that converts this entry in the series from a crime novel to a fantasy and a somewhat trite fantasy at that.

Dexter, the artificial human being, in the sense that his apparent humanity is entirely a work of artifice, continues his twin careers as serial killer of deserving victims and Miami police blood splatter specialist and adds a third as mentor and guide to the burgeoning appetites of his fiancee's children. A pair of monsters in the making. So far so good. What spoils the book is the characterisation of the serial killing tendency as something truly external. Dexter has always talked of his Dark Passenger but in this book he meets a bigger, nastier evil which gets its own PoV passages in a manner that indicates that the author expects us to take on that this is a real disembodied intelligence with the ability to possess otherwise innocent people.

Dexter turns from being a psychotic vigilante to a supernatural investigator and ends up taking on a god in a climax that really doesn't fit well with the rest of the series to date.

2.0 out of 5 stars And then Jeff put a foot badly wrong...., 8 Mar 2008
Mr. Huw Scott Morgan "Heresiarch" (Over there, hiding behind a tree) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Hardcover)
I can but echo the other reviews making disappointed noises about this latest installment in the Dexter series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books, which had a sound balance of dark wit and grande guignol which ensured they were a cracking read.

However, Mr Lindsay really drops the ball on this one. The initial premise is good (where does the Dark Passenger come from?), but the plot has gaping holes that are shockingly large, and many of the relationships between characters are tired retreads from the second book.

Its extremely difficult to air my objections without ruining the story, so I'm going to have to hold my tongue for the moment. However, I'm sure that most readers who've enjoyed the other books will come away feeling cheated, and with a bit of reflection will spot the rather massive (not to mention illogical) errors made by Mr Lindsay regarding the latest deadly opponents he's conjured up to oppose Dexter. Bad call, brother.

It would be cynical of me to suggest he's banged out this latest episode to cash in on the popularity arising from the TV series and flog a few more books, but I am, so I will. This book smells of tired ideas and impending deadlines, and a publisher wanting the latest installment to grab that cash whilst Dexter is 'on the radar'.

I'll probably still read the next one in the series, in the hope that some inspiration has struck. But as things stand, and on the basis of this latest offering, don't expect the series to go beyond five books before Mr Lindsay runs out of things to say about his amusing character.

2.0 out of 5 stars A step backwards for Dexter, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Hardcover)
As most of the earlier reviewers have noted, the supernatural element of this story is a big mistake. Is is certainly a load of old Molochs in comparison to the first two books. Jeff Lindsay appears to be trying to hedge his bets as to whether the demon possession is merely a figment of Dexter's imagination or actually true, but if it is imaginary the story becomes entirely implausible: why does Dexter's Dark Passenger go missing, why does he keep hearing the mystic tune, and how is he caused to black out at the most inopportune times?

On the plus side Rita's kids, Cody and Astor, are the real stars of the book and the obvious - but good - plot twist should have been the main theme throughout. As the title of the next book in the series is currently listed as being 'Dear Daddy Dexter', I can only hope that JL sticks with this story line and returns our favourite psychopath to less esoteric forms of murder and mayhem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dumbing Down Dexter, 15 Feb 2009
Thomas Paul (Plainview, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter in the Dark (Hardcover)
It's sad to see such a good series descend to this level. This book was a real disappointment. It's hard to know where to start but the overall premise of the book, that Dexter's "Dark Passenger" is actually a supernatural possession by some kind of child of Moloch an eternal something-or-other, lacks so much believability that it ruins the entire series. What made the first two books so good was that Dexter was the sociopath trying to live in the real world. His "Dark Passenger" was simply a different part of Dexter's personality. The success of the books was that we rooted for Dexter and his "Dark Passenger" in spite of him being a sociopath. But how can we root for some horrible monster that possesses Dexter and forces him to kill?

But Lindsay goes too far even with his idea of how someone becomes a sociopath. Every child, at least according to Lindsay, who is abused as a child, grows up to be a serial killer. Rita's two kids both become sociopaths because they were abused by their father. But that isn't how it happens in the real world. Not all serial killers were abused and not everyone who is abused becomes a serial killer. We can root for Dexter when he is unique and only killing other serial killers, but how can we root for him to create more serial killers? Dexter should be sending the children for intense psychotherapy, not lessons in how to kill.

And worst of all, the book is simply boring. Nothing much happens. There are murders but it is impossible to keep straight who is killing who and the murders (and murderers) are almost irrelevant. We hear more about donuts and wedding caterers than we do about anything else. And there really is no mystery in the story. We find out in the first pages of the book who did it although I kept hoping that the book wasn't really going to be this stupid and that Lindsay would give us some other surprise solution. I am fairly confident that this is the last Dexter book I will be reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars WHAT WAS THE AUTHOR THINKING?..., 1 May 2009
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This author has created one of the most interesting, introspective characters around, Dexter Morgan, a serial killer who is trying to fit in and find his way around in a word that is somewhat incomprehensible to him. Despite serous psychological issues that previously appeared to have been grounded in severe childhood trauma, Dexter has always been an intelligent, clever, resourceful, and dryly funny character, albeit a serial killer. In one fell swoop, the author manages to put somewhat of a kibosh on the character by making the origins of his urge to kill supernatural in nature rather than psychological.

Those portions of the book that focus on Dexter remain of interest, as the writing is crisp and Dexter, after all, is still Dexter, despite the supernatural explanation. The portions of the book that focus on the supernatural explanation for Dexter's urge to kill and the supernatural entity that is at the heart of the new wave of killings are a drag. It is almost as if they were written by someone else, as I found these sections to be poorly written and devoid of interest. Moreover, the focus on Dexter's girlfriend's children as potential future serial killers is disturbing. Although alluded to in the previous novel, this idea has now taken a life of its own, and it is a direction that is not necessarily for the better.

As a huge fan of Dexter, both the books and the television series, I was disappointed with this book. Although parts of it were still enjoyable, of the three books so far published only this one left a lot to be desired. Diehard Dexter fans may get a modicum of enjoyment from this book but will probably be both angry with and disappointed in the author for the direction in which he has taken this popular, well-liked character. I do not blame them. It is as if the author has lost his mind, and his editor was asleep at the wheel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Demonically Disapointing Dexter, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Hardcover)
The First Dexter novel was a good intro to a nice slant on the genre. The second expanded the first into true American Gothic territory. The third... instead of continuing the internal voice of Dexter in exploring modern alienation, it cops out utterly. Dexter is not an amoral nihilistic ubermensch,damaged by the trauma of 20th century existence & trying to find a reason... NO, just someone possessed by a demon. How mundane. A very disapointing read. I only hope the sublime TV series does not follow in this sasquatch of a footstep.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadfully bad Dexter, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Paperback)
First, I love the show and really enjoyed the first two novels.This book however was just one big headache that was no joy to read what-so-ever.It was as if Dexter himself had written this book in a mental hospital and was in some sort of psycotic state.The writing was absolutely terrible.

If you read the first two books,enjoyed them, and feel the need to read the third before you read the forth.Don't bother as it doesn't contribute anything.A complete waste of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Different Dexter, 2 May 2009
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Paperback)
In a boring world, every Dexter book would be the same, and not only the same as the last one, but the same as the corresponding season of it's television counterpart. However, Jeff Lindsay's novels do not follow the same path as Showtime's excellent series and why would I want to read them if they did? In Dexter In The Dark, Lindsay takes a slightly different direction, introducing what could be interpreted as a supernatural slant or, for those of us looking beneath the surface, could be interpreted as something a little more cerebral. Does Dexter's mental decline cause him to believe things that may not be true at all, ie, the desired effect of the activities with which his enemies hope to break him? Or is there a real spiritual evil out to get him? Considering that we have nothing to go on but Dexter's inner thoughts, how can we be sure what's really happening? Why do we assume that The Dark Passenger is anything but a state of mind simply because Dithering Dexter suddenly loses his mojo? Here, Dexter is suddenly confused and, horror of horrors, human. Where would Superman be if Kryptonite didn't slap him around the face once in a while? Why can't a seemingly untouchable anti-hero show some weakness, be unceremoniously brought to his kness?

Personally, I think that Lindsay is asking a little more of us than the book's critics realise, but, even taking everything literally, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the subsequent adventures of Dear Diabolical Dexter therefore those detractors need not worry.

This book ultimately is gripping, thought provoking and somewhat disturbing, a concoction that is more food for the mind than just another episode of CSI with a twist. Lindsay realises that even though a formula can be ground breaking, it loses it's charm after multiple rehashes of the original. Sure, like in the previous novels, Lindsay rushes his ending and even throws in a bit of action cliche, leaving the villains undeveloped, but the overall read is still not tarnished for anyone who allowed themselves to be swept away from the first page.

Dexter in the Dark is a good read, worthy of some interpretation and an interesting departure for Dastardly Deadly Dexter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dexttterrrrrr., 21 April 2008
This review is from: Dexter In The Dark (Hardcover)
I read all three books back to back and I thought the first was a decent read, not amazing but decent. The second was ok but the third was absolute tripe. What the hell happened with this sudden and unexpected change of direction into the absurd? There were always unlikely elements in the first two books but book three really has raised the bar for complete nonsense. Even the character of Dexter has turned into an obnoxious, wannabe smart ass. I found myself wanting him to meet a rather nasty end. This took away from the interesting questions raised in the last two books like `why am I cheering on a serial killer'. No such worries in this book.

I get the impression the author read a few books along the lines of 'The Da Vinci Code' or 'The Historian'. He seems to have been inspired by the idea of researching something found in historical text and putting a fictitious spin on it. The problem here is the research appears to be less than thorough. The whole supernatural element has been roughly put together without any real thought and doesn't at all fit with the universe Dexter originally existed in.

God this book really annoyed me. It's one of those books, when finished, you feel like you've wasted a small part of your life. Save your cash and spend it on the DVD seasons instead. I hope the TV series doesn't follow suit and stray into the twilight zone too. I have a feeling the writers involved there might just see what a damn mess it would make of things.

Dexter In The Dark
Dexter In The Dark by Jeff Lindsay (Paperback - 24 July 2008)