4.0 out of 5 stars not quite there
Published on 25 Jan 2009 by rosella

3.0 out of 5 stars When Mosby hits it right, it's a beautiful thing...
Published on 12 Jan 2008 by Anna

3.0 out of 5 stars When Mosby hits it right, it's a beautiful thing..., 12 Jan 2008
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Paperback)
because he has an amazing way with words. The flow of his sentences is truly beautiful sometimes - poetic almost. Not in a pretentious emo way, rather, this is someone who clearly understands words, and how they work; this is someone who has looked at the world and decided he likes so very much of it. Equally, he understands how to construct a striking simile that will precisely show you what it is he's describing, and the wonderful way in which he sees the world. It's absolutely lovely. Really, Mosby's prose are some of the most crisp and refreshing I've come across.

The plot is... good. Or, at least, good enough. Oddly, none of the characters are particularly likeable, despite the protagonist obviously being the "good guy". Mark Nelson is his name, and he's a thoroughly decent chap, but something about him grates. He has a subtle, but distinct, lack of integrity which shaves several dregrees of awesome off him. This is a pity, and a problem, because it's through him that we view most of the book. Each chapter focuses on a different character, and Mark's chapters are the only ones written in the first person, so it's imperative that we like him... it's even better if we can identify with him. He's a good person, and his suffering is truly poignant, but his neediness (resulting in the lack of integrity) makes you recoil a little, at which point you emotionally detach from the story, given he's the door-way.

The penultimate scene - I won't give it away - is genuinely sad, and leaves you with some confusing feelings. When we discover a certain person has died alone, in the dark and cold, while tied to a tree, it hurts, and you ache a little for when it wasn't that way, despite what that means. I know this all sounds cryptic, for which I apologise, but this one part of the story was the only part that hurt my heart and giving it away would be unforgivable. It's the sole sting in this tale...

However, the entire book is virtually ruined by the end. You'll have to suspend your disbelief, or you can stop reading when you reach page 253, "10 minutes before dawn".

The entire book takes place over a space of 22 hours or so, and it's fast-paced, admittedly, but I can't stress how contrived and disappointing the ending is. It taints everything that's come before it. You see, the final chapter is nonsense and wholly unbelievable; then beyond that, there's an epilogue, and it's the epilogue that will have you tearing your hair out. Throughout the book, Mosby manages to avoid the most irritating of clichés: if there's a man and a woman of a similar age, they end up together... dreadful dreadful dreadful. So, it's a wonderful thing that he doesn't give into that and insult our intelligence... until he does. S between the final chapter and the appalling epilogue, the last 20 pages or so completely let the side down and it's disappointing.

In fact, pages 253 to 274 are bad enough to lose the book 2 of its stars. It's such a pity, because Steve Mosby is the real deal, I suspect, and when he's on, he's astonishingly good. But that ending. Oy vey.

4.0 out of 5 stars not quite there, 25 Jan 2009
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Paperback)
As other people have said, fascinating book, very readable. Once you've 'clicked' to the scenario that is being played out you can then re-check the dialogue characters and get a better insight into what is happening; it is constructed to be elusive. But sadly, once you have 'clicked' it is pretty obvious, but - as others have said - with plenty of twists and turns to keep you going, and a slightly weak ending. But don't be put off, it is a damn good read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great storyline, but the writing didn't really grip me, 15 May 2007
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the storyline, but found the actual writing a little boring - I'm not sure why, but it just didn't grip me. I didn't really care about the characters; it was just missing something for me. But having said that, the actual plot was fantastic. I would recommend it for thriller fans however.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than meets the eye, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Kindle Edition)
Crime and thriller fans expecting an against-the-clock hunt for a serial killer will not be disappointed by this fine piece of work. But to my mind it was more than this. The 50/50 killer also works as a deconstruction of relationships and the ties that bind. Through the shifting and varying POVs it examines the vulnerability and secrets that lurk in the shadows before the 50/50 killer wickedly exposes them.
The pace is cracking, the last 20% (I read the kindle edition) full of twists and turns and the characters - flawed, believable, strong - well drawn.
Steve Mosby is a beautiful writer with a poetic turn of phrase that (in my experience) is rare in the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's nothing 50/50 about this book!, 9 Nov 2012
Anne McLauchlan (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Hardcover)
I follow Steve Mosby on Twitter and asked him which book of his I should start with. As I love crime fiction, he suggested The 50/50 Killer. I really enjoyed this book...the characters were believable, the twists and turns gripping and the last 30 pages have to be read in one sitting...I just couldn't put it down until I had finished it. I will definitely be reading more of Steve Mosby's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, uncompromising, and beautifully horrific., 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Paperback)
A highly original take on the serial killer novel, The 50/50 Killer is Steve Mosby's third novel and his first foray into the the more mainstream crime fiction, following his first two novels 'The Third Person' and 'The Cutting Crew'.

I read it in almost in one sitting. And to this day, it is the only book that I have finished and instantly gone back to the start and read again straight away. It was an outstanding read. I was drawn in so much by this book, that for weeks afterwards, I was talking about the concept of 'How much/far would you do/go for love?' so much, that my wife feels like she's read the book at this point without reading one word of it.

'The 50/50 Killer' is tightly wound, with electrifying pace and fantastically written characters. The prose is what made me a massive Mosby fan though. The way he writes is poetic. The words flow like a river off the page, managing to keep you absorbed in the story, whilst also throwing in enough twists and turns to leave you off-kilter throughout.

Overall though, the one thing that stands out about this book to me is it's core subject matter. It's a story about Love. Not just in intimate relationships, but everyday relationships with others. It's the way humans interact with other humans and how far you would go for your fellow earth dweller. It's a theme that runs through so many of Mosby's novels. At their core, they are about the Love you can have for someone. In 'The 50/50 Killer' that Love is put to the ultimate test. It's harrowing, emotionally draining and satisfying at the same time.

Since releasing 'The 50/50 Killer', Steve Mosby has gone on to write three more excellent novels. His writing is spell-binding, uncompromising and never afraid to show us the dark side of life. One of the most talented writers working today. If you haven't read any of his books, 'The 50/50 Killer' is an excellent starting point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tense thriller with some pretty graphic violence, 17 May 2008
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Paperback)
This is the first Steve Mosby novel that I've read, so I didn't some to it with any preconceived ideas, and I was impressed.

The 50/50 Killer stalks his couples and then captures them both, forcing one of the partners to choose which one of them will live and which will die. If the partner chooses that they will die, he systematically tortures them through the night, until often they are so delirious that they change their mind and are forced to live with their betrayal of their loved one. On the trail of this killer is mark Nelson, a young Detective, and John Mercer, a Police Officer who experienced a nervous breakdown trying to catch this killer two years previously.

The novel is made of fragments of narrative and the perspective shifts between characters. This is incredibly effective in leaving the reader feeling disorientated and building the tension. There are times when it is downright scary! (I'm glad I don't have an attic!)

The ending is slightly, and unnecessarily, convoluted but the novel still hangs together as a whole. I'll look forward to reading Mosby's next novel.

Just as a warning - there are some graphic scenes of violence which might be a bit disturbing for some.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good plot with excellent twists, 27 Aug 2007
Helen Simpson (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Paperback)
At the beginning of each chapter the reader is given the date and the time in relation to dawn. Before I got to know the characters and realise who was who, this didn't mean much to me. However, as the book moves on and it becomes a race against time it added to the sense of urgency. I also liked how each chapter was a different character, written in the first person.

I had mixed feelings about the epilogue, feeling that one of the victims was being let down by a character I'd liked. However, I could also see that maybe it would be a good outcome for the people involved after their own personal experiences.

Overall, an original and interesting thriller with a couple of really good twists.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favourite Author., 30 July 2008
S. Blankley "TeenBee" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Paperback)
Found this book while browsing in the library - sorry didn't buy from Amazon. Within 24 hours I had read the complete book, it kept me hooked from start to finish.
Having read some of the other reviews I agree with some of their comments. Steve's use of similes and metaphors, when writing descriptively, are occasionally breath-taking. However I also found the ending 'slightly' disappointing, but still good none-the-less. But as for the rest of the book - A GREAT READ!!!
Quite a few story twists to keep you turning the page, short chapters (so ideal to read at bedtime), and not too long (so the end was always in sight).

4.0 out of 5 stars Undecided, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: The 50/50 Killer (Kindle Edition)
I have rated this book at 4 stars because it is well written and decently, if not brilliantly, plotted. Some of it is obvious as it has been done countless times before but other parts were a real surprise so it's a bit of a mixed bag. I, however, found that it didn't really hold my attention and it was too easy to do other things rather than pick it up (unputdownability is my criterion for 5 stars). There are, I think, a variety of reasons for this. Firstly, much of the book is told from Mark's point of view and it's stupid but I didn't like his character from the start - his unconcern at being late for work on the first day sets the tone. Secondly, there is too much attention paid to Mercer's mental healthy issues and his wife's attitudes to it - surely he passed a medical before going back to work? Thirdly the format which changes perspective every chapter makes it much more fragmented and harder to get in to than a straight narrative.
It's not a bad book it just isn't particularly to my taste.

The 50/50 Killer
The 50/50 Killer by Steve Mosby (Paperback - 1 Dec 2007)
6.66