4.0 out of 5 stars Preaching to the converted?
I was tempted to begin by saying that anyone who reads this book probably doesn't need to, but maybe there are parents out there who would find it useful. Parents who sense that something is wrong with childhood, but can't put their finger on it and would like some clues as to where to begin putting it right. Simple measures like taking the TV out of children's...
Published on 9 Mar 2007 by John Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars some sensible suggestions but often unconvincing
As somebody with extensive experience of Scandinavian childrearing, I was intrigued to see how selectively the author quotes Scandinavian practices in relation to the findings of greater happiness and greater powers of concentration in these children. Scandinavia features prominently in her chapter on education, as a counterpart to the vicious effects of the early...
Published on 29 Mar 2007 by sceptical

5.0 out of 5 stars relevant and a must read, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Toxic Childhood: How The Modern World Is Damaging Our Children And What We Can Do About It (Paperback)
This is a well researched book. Invaluable to really know some of the problems we face.

This book will make you want to take control of things for sure, well it did spark an international debate !

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 1 Jan 2013
A terrific book for those who have children/work with children- it gives you a deeper understanding of a childs mind and once you pick it up you wont want to put it down! A must read***

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative book, 5 Sep 2011
this book is great and really opened my eyes to the stuff we forget that is going on around us

5.0 out of 5 stars The book every parent needs! URGENTLY!, 5 Jun 2011
I was completely bowled over by this book. Thank you Sue for a book which I hope will change the world we live in at the moment.

Sue Palmer has looked at the scientific research, and has pulled it together so as to give us a list of the many new problems children face during the first years of their lives. She has met thousands of parents and teachers from all parts of the country and can show that teachers are right when they say that children really are different now, and much less well-equipped for life than previous generations were. Why are we seeing so much binge drinking, so much self-destructive behaviour ? Here are some sensible, accurate answers.

In ten chapters dealing with topics like the food children eat, where they play, how long they sleep, why they are having trouble learning to speak, what school can and can't do for them, how insidious advertising has become, she gives us some of the reasons why children are set up to fail because of the way they are being brought up, years before they get into primary school.

This is a problem which touches all social groups. The root of the problem is the society we live in, and all of us share the same society.

She begins with the simplest things - many babies' pushcarts face the wrong way. Babies should be looking at their mothers, not at the passers-by because passers-by can't educate them. Mothers should be able to say 'Oh! Look at that doggie over there!' and point at the doggie if their children are to make progress learning the language. I was shocked to discover that more than 80% of children, when they first go to school in one big British city, have insufficient language skills for the first grade.

It's obvious to me that Sue Plamer is right. Her arguments are compelling and parents urgently need to become aware of the aspects of child development she brings up, and fond ways of dealing with them. Here too, the book is excellent. She doesn't just say what is going wrong. She makes many sensible suggestions about what parents can do to change things for their child on an on-going basis.

In a word, this book is a MUST.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 April 2007
Sue Palmer is saying what most teachers have been thinking for ages now. It is a great book for parents to raise their awareness of the impact their lives can unwittingly have on child development. This book should be given out in maternity wards!

2.0 out of 5 stars good if you new to these ideas, 15 Aug 2014
Ok but a lot of pop psychology and obvious stuff. A good read if your new to this stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The startling reality of today's childhood, 9 Mar 2008
booklover 17 (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I really liked this book as it is very well written and researched on the problems of childhood today. It could be depressing but to me it wasn't as it gives parents hope that something can be done to give your child a better childhood, some things are glaringly obvious like switching off the tv and actually spending time with your children talking to them! As a person interested in nutrition Sue Palmer covered this aspect very well, if you feed them junk then you can't expect them to have healthily functioning brains, hence the large increase in ADHD and other brain disorders! I'm not a mother myself but if I was ever blessed with children then I know I would certainly turn to this book. If you are a parent and are looking for ideas to make things better for your child, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov 2014
Delighted with this book and very pleased with the service I got

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical guide to raising healthy happy kids, 25 Nov 2010
I love this book - I often worry about the harmful effects of modern life - junk food, tv etc - and this book sets out the dangers in a logical argument. However it is not a scaremongering rant - and it doesn't suggest that the only way to avoid 'toxic childhood syndrome' is to live in a hut on an island somewhere. It provides simple and attainable ways of keeping childhood simple and safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug 2014
Good quality, quick arrival, very pleased