5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written
Miss Read writes beautifully, bringing her books to life. I found this book very relaxing to read, well written, with humour as well. I'll definitely be reading all the rest of the books in the Fairacre series.
Published on 14 Dec. 2009 by Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Bit dated
Published 7 months ago by christine o'donnell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 14 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Village Diary (Fairacre 2) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 14 Jan. 2003
C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Village Diary (Paperback)
An absolutely gorgeous book.I have a special interest in this one as it came out just as I was starting at a village school just like the one Miss Read writes about,and my mother used to listen to it serialised on the radio while waiting for me to come home.
It follows on from Village School and is set out like a diary written by Miss Read the schoolmistress.Each month has a delightful illustration by J S Goodall.I love this book,and I hope you will too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terminally sweet!, 11 Jan. 2010
Mr. David Edwards "gammacenturi" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Village Diary (Fairacre 2) (Paperback)
Not as good as Book 1. but satisfactory. These books are v.g. for old fashioned oldies like me. Remembering a sweet, warm, gentle world that in the main did not exist. Well not for me and mine living in bleak 1940's/50's North Manchester. Leave your back door open? Nonsense! Even though we had nowt they would still steal it. Cold winters with only a coal fire to warm us and all of us crammed round it with burnt legs and the cat safely purring right at the front. And cockroaches in the cutlery draw.

But perhaps these books give a flavour of life and schooling in the countryside that we townies can only envy? As such they are lovely and you grow to like some characters and hiss at others. And it seems there are many more books in the series to enjoy. I do love a good long series. Recommended if you like sweet nostagia - and not a swear word to see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales from the Village School, 26 Feb. 2014
Gentle but never soft hearted. Compelling but always contains a grain of harder truth, Miss. Read serves up another helping of home spun wisdom from the primary classroom in her home village. Such gentle reading is so very timely in such a tough world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
Simpler times but life often harder nonetheless. Evocative but not idealistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 23 Feb. 2014
A lovely gentle story of family life in a small village based around the School teacher. No sex, no swearing no complicated plot just a lovely read

5.0 out of 5 stars Village Diary, 6 Sept. 2013
Excellent book yet again from Miss read. Gone out of sequence a bit I think, but I can still keep up with it all

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiare acre 2, 28 Jun. 2013
I found this book hard going at times. It was not as readable as "A Peaceful Retirement" There were parts which I really enjoyed but it seemed to be that the author was going off on tangents. It reminded me of waves the going out and the coming in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 9 Dec. 2012
P. A. Marsh (U.K) - See all my reviews
As an ex teacher I thoroughly enjoyed this now, almost historical novel set in a small village school. A good chuckle!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosy blanket of a book, 5 Oct. 2012
Molly Whiteside "owl maniac" (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
I love these books, they are just cosy and comfortable and fun. Have read most of them in the past but just decided after a stressful year to start them again, and they are just as good as the first time round.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Village Diary (Fairacre 2)
Village Diary (Fairacre 2) by Miss Read (Paperback - 15 May 2006)