5.0 out of 5 stars A mysterious, changeable and funny tale, well worth it
Published on 9 Jun 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars About 200 pages too long
Published on 13 Feb 2009 by JM

5.0 out of 5 stars A mysterious, changeable and funny tale, well worth it, 9 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Paperback)
Kit McMahon is 12 years old when her mother disappears. Before that her life had been relatively simple. She had grown up in the lakeside village of Lough Glass with her family and known all the people of the village. But everything changes when Helen McMahon disappears and Kit finds a note on her father's bed.... This is an intriguing, emotional story, but it has its funny parts too. Buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars About 200 pages too long, 13 Feb 2009
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Paperback)
I have read most Maeve Binchy novels and devoured them but this was not one of my favourites. Although it started off well enough and had a good story in it, I thought that the plot was somewhat stretched out by the length of the book, there wasn't enough of a story to fill nearly 700 pages. Consequently I found it dragged in places, which was a shame because as usual it's written with the author's customary warmth and talent for storytelling, and I think in a shorter version it would have been better. I also agree with another reviewer that the ending was a bit of a let down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for Kindle, 10 Mar 2011
iamthesun (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Paperback)
I read this book years ago and bought the kindle version recently. I ended up purchasing the book as well. I was using kindle on my iPhone and unlike other Maeve Binchy books I've purchased via Kindle, the translation was awful. I thought at first that the OCR hadn't been edited properly, but other errors were obviously manual. Extra line spaces were also added between paragraphs which meant that there was not much to read on a lot of the pages.
As far as the story is concerned it's great. A mother leaves her husband and children in Ireland to live in London with an old flame but for various reasons is thought to have committed suicide/died in a boating accident. As you would expect, she is unable to live without contact with her children and there follows the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kate Binchy the narrator was splendid, 23 Aug 2002
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Audio Cassette)
It's the 1950's, Kit McMahon is a young woman living in a small town beside a lake. She believes her mother has committed suicide and when a friend of her mother's in London starts writing wonderful letters to her, a friendship blooms. Binchy's characters come alive she has captured the people, the time and the place perfectly. This book is definitely a page turner though not the sort of thing I usually choose to read. I didn't read this but listened to it on Audio Cassette read by Kate Binchy who brought the characters to life better than reading it myself could have done. Three days later her voice was still in my head.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Binchy book about family / village life, 24 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Audio Cassette)
Typical Binchy book about a small town and a few of the families within the village. Some of the younger members escape to Dublin where they discover that not everything is as rosy as they thought the big city would be.
Typically Binchy in that along side the general family traumas is love and romance and their impact on families and in particular the main character.
I did not enjoy this book as much as some of the other Binchy books I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great from Maeve, 27 Mar 2014
P. Murray "Irish Pat" (nth Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book ,typical of all Maeve Binchy books.It is a real page turner & you find it difficult to anticipate the ending.I always feel with Maeve Binchy books that I actually know all the characters personally. Anyone who has previously read Maeve's books will definitely not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The glass lake, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Kindle Edition)
What a lovely read, this is the third time I have read this book and never tire of it,A book to curl up in front of the fire and lose yourself in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Audio Cassette)
I love this story but wish it was available as an audio-download. It's the only one of Maeve Binchy's books that isn't. I don't really want the old cassette version, so come on, Kate Binchy, record an up-to-date version, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked on This!, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Kindle Edition)
This was a fantastic read and I struggled to put it down....a must read for any Maeve Binchy fans out there!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a gentle novel but many twists to the plot make it a good read, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Glass Lake (Kindle Edition)
My first Binchy book but will definitely read more now. Peopled with a rich variety of characters and a reminder of why small town mentality and a close knit community are dangerous for those who don't fit in.

ARRAY(0xb0e91480)

The Glass Lake
The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy (Paperback - 5 Jun 1995)
6.39