5.0 out of 5 stars Peter James has done it again
I was ecstatic to say the least when I found 'Twilight' in my local library. It's a book I've wanted to read for a while but could never find.
I rate this book as one of James' best so far. The plot was brilliant, the suspense was brilliant and the conclusion was brilliant. What more can I say 'brilliant'!
I couldn't put this book down for a second and I...
Published on 18 Dec 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight
Only just discovered Peter James. This was Ok - but I prefer the "Dead" series.
Published on 21 Mar 2009 by Suebee

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter James has done it again, 18 Dec 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Twilight (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down for a second and I strongly suggest anyone who hasn't read it should.
It contains some very strong characters that you can't help but relate to. The way the book is written, you are there with them the whole time. You smell the smells they do, see the things they do, live the horror they do.
Again, it's brilliant.
Well done Peter James for creating yet another masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, he's much, much better than Crichton, 22 Jan 2007
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
A cross between Robin Cook and Michael Crichton, this is a supernatural, medical mystery that never let's up for a single chapter. A nasty antagonist, and a terrific heroine, who is so prone to getting into trouble she'd make a great assistant for Dr. Who. The ending will leave you gasping for breathe...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 May 2006
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
This book is a really gripping page turner: you won't want to put it down. A brilliant holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a real page turner, 14 Nov 2007
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
yet another great book by peter james..... i loved this book i could'nt put it down . great from the first page till the last. i had to reread some pages just to make sure i had read it right the first time. twists and turns all the way 10/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight, 21 Mar 2009
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
Only just discovered Peter James. This was Ok - but I prefer the "Dead" series.

5.0 out of 5 stars THRILLING, 15 Nov 2008
Carl Hughes "anglo48" (Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
This is a thriller rather than a horror story, although there are certainly elements of horror in it. Newspaper reporter Kate Hemingway manages to worm her way into an exhumation, and what she sees when the coffin is opened appals her. She realises that the woman inside the coffin was buried alive - but it seems someone wants the truth covered up. Kate has a winning personality and you root for her throughout. Mr James's characterisation is spot on and he takes pains to make you really see and identify with the characters. The finale is a case of true poetic justice and is expertly handled.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not his best, 25 Mar 2008
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I have read a few of Peter James's books and loved them all but I have to say that although I did enjoy this one, I found it a bit slow moving and not as gripping as the others I have read.
It's still a good read and I loved the ending, that was a good twist on the last couple of pages, but I do think that he has written other better novels than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deathly Doctor, 20 April 2004
D. Brett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (Signet) (Paperback)
MY THOUGHTS ON THE AUTHOR
Peter James got me hooked on reading, for which I am thankful. Until myencounter with a Peter James book no book held my interest for long and Iwould read a few pages and get bored. Then I read my first Peter Jamesbook called Faith. Which was enthralling, so I picked up another one ofhis books called Denial and again was hooked. My third read of his was nodifferent, keeping me intrigued from start to finish.
James has a knack of creating the suspense that is common among filmthrillers. He writes with style that he should be proud of and which haskept me at least reading. He creates situations which are totallybelievable, giving details of everything every step of the way. He hasobvious knowledge of medical matters adds to the suspense as he keeps youdangling.
James himself has gone from strength to strength and now deals in TVseries and movies, as well as still writing. And did you know he¡s motherwas a glove maker to the queen?
THE PLOT
Sally Donaldson has died, and been buried in a graveyard in Sussex(Brighton is where the story is set), however all is not well as manypeople have heard noises coming from her grave as they have walked pastit, including the vicar! So following the proper protocol an order isgiven for an exhumation.
A local journalist has been put on the case along with several others fromdifferent sources. Kate Hemmingway is an ambitious woman working on thelocal newspaper. Little does she realise the evil she is about touncover.
She manages to worm her way into the exhumation (courtesy of favoursowing), and stands in shock along with the rest of the people there asthey open the coffin. Kate is convinced that Sally Donaldson was indeedburied alive. As her paper publishes the story repercussions from thestory begin to unfold and despite her commitment to the story, her editortells her to drop it. But Kate knows something is wrong, so carries on inher investigation regardless.
Later in the investigation we see Kate involved in a car accident, whereshe experiences an O B E (outer body experience), and questions why shewas mentally awake during her operation, feeling every cut, everyprod!
Her investigation leads to one man a doctor named Harvey Swire, whomdespite messages from her dead brother to avoid him at all costs meetswith during her recovery.
But will Kate survive, is she right to ignore the warnings from herbrother from beyond the grave, is she right to defy her editor, and howwill that meeting with Doctor Swire go?
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
Twilight is a book that deals with death and near death experiences. Ipersonally found this book a little slow to begin, though it soon hots upand the suspense gets tight. The characters are well thought out and theway in which the author writes allows you to clearly visualise each scenealong the way. He details each scene leaving you to create an image inyour mind.
The suspense intensifies as the book draws to a close (asmost good thrillers) and I was feeling myself getting completely involvedwith the story. Almost to the point of shouting at my book as one mightthe TV screen, when you just know something bad is going to happen.
Twilights characters are well thought out, and the whole story is writtenin such a realistic way, that it will have you watching the doctors nexttime you go in hospital for surgery, and certainly informing theanaesthetist to make sure you are not awake in any way!
OVERALL
Overall, I have not been disappointed in any of the books I have read byPeter James. Each one is gripping, and he has an uncanny knack of makingyou believe what he has written C the proof of a good author. James is upto his normal standard in Twilight and doesn¡t seem to waiver in hisexpertise of novel writing. I am slowly but surely reading his novels, solet¡s hope he gets writing some new ones

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight - OMG, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Twilight (Kindle Edition)
Having just left hospital after an operation, I was presented with a Kindle by my children as I would be laid up for some time. Thrilled with my new toy, I purchased Peter James' Twilight as I am a great fan of his books. OMG I could't put the book down, and how scary it was having just undergone anaesthetic myself, I realised how lucky I was that my anaethetist was such a genuine trustworthy guy!!. A thoroughly fantastic read, a real page turner, ENJOY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twilight by Peter James, 28 Oct 2008
Nikki - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
This is the 3rd of Peter James's books that I have read (loved Denial and Faith).

The story starts off with the burial of Sally Donaldson but afterwards it seems noises are being heard, coming from her grave! People think they are imagining things but eventually an exhumation order is granted.

Meanwhile we hear about Harvey Swire, an eighteen year old lad with plans to attend medical school and become a doctor. On a bike ride one day, he has an accident and is hit by a car. Suddenly he is watching everything from above and is outside of his own body! He sees his mother who is dead and she tells him "God is very unhappy with you"!

We also hear about a local journalist Kate Hemmingway who wants the story on the exhumation. She manages to witness the event and is horrified to discover that it seems Sally Donaldson was actually buried alive!

The story then flits between Harry and Kate until one day Kate has a car accident herself and is rushed to hospital. She is operated on but there is just one problem - she is still awake but cannot scream, shout or move and there is a certain doctor in attendance named Harvey Swire! She then experiences an out of body experience and sees her dead brother who is trying give her a warning.

I did enjoy this book and I read it really quickly but I wouldn't say it is quite as good as Faith or Denial. I would still recommend it though, and I look forward to reading more books by Peter James, I'm hooked now!

Twilight
Twilight by Peter James (Paperback - 17 Nov 2005)
3.85