Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2005
Pardon me for the intended pun but I simply couldnt resist it as this book is really like one long continous nightmare! But an excellent read. It is the first of Peter James' works that I have read so unfortunately I am unable to offer any comparisons with any of his many other novels. The story centres upon a married Mother Sam Curtis who at a very early age suffers an horrendous experience literally at the hands of a beast. This becomes the start of her nightmares or dreams as this book would have them. 25 years on, after a complete respite the dreams restart for no apparent reason. However it soon becomes clear to Sam that somehow the dreams that She experiences result in terrible 'accidents' to anyone who comes into contact with her. Worse, these terrifying dreams blend in with reality and increase in their regularity so that the poor woman doesnt have a clue where she is or where or when the next terror will occur.
As Ive written in other reviews I usually restrict 5 star ratings only for books in which are absolute page turners and this is one of those. From page one onwards. I did find that I became irritated at the continous dreams as the book went on but this didnt deter me from racing on to get to the end where hopefully all is revealed! There are some very suspicious characters as the story goes along and a few clues along the way which will have you thinking / guessing and you might not be far wrong. Have a read of the first few pages (if you are able) and I think from only the first couple of pages you'll be hooked. Good reading!
on 13 June 2010
This is not the first Peter James book that I have read but the worst. I do tend to enjoy his Roy Grace detective books more than his weird thriller books. Never got into it from the start, so kept on reading it just in case it was leading somewhere and it didn't. Disappointed. Wouldn't bother recommending it to anyone else so they would end up wasting their time like I did.
on 28 December 2010
Usually I cannot put one of his books down - but this one left me feeling that I couldn't wait to get to the end just to finish it!!
Sorry - not one of his best ones.
I love the Roy Grace series so while waiting for the eighth Not Dead Yet (Ds Roy Grace 8) to be released I decided to pick up one of his previous thrillers. .

I found it scary from the start, the dream Sam has is not some hazy dream this is a dream in technicolour detail. Sam's dreams soon develop into premonitions which she can't ignore.

The downside to this book is that it does jump from dream to reality, so much so that it is not always easy to work out what is going on. Neither Sam nor her husband are particularly likeable but I wanted to know what happened nonetheless. The ending was not quite as good as I hoped but this was the perfect fare for a wet weekend.
on 8 May 2011
I like Peter James as an author since I discovered "Dead Simple" (a cracking book) and have tried to read all his books.

Ths book includes a little strong language and violence

I found the book started well (I had a sample and could not wait to read the rest) but tailed off a little at the end and became a little hard work to finish.

I found I did not care much about the characters which for me is essential in a good read.

A reasonable read although not in my opinion the best Peter James book. I would recommend "Dead Simple" and "Looking Good Dead" above this.
on 8 August 2011
Am a big peter James fan but this book is not as good as his others . It begins spooky enough , Sam is having nightmares which seem to be coming true . She keeps asking for help but no one believes her . Then however the plot seems to jump and race , as if James had just had enough with the story or else his editor just didnt want a big fat scary book and so too much was left out to really make it work. A shame . Didnt like the annoying yuppy husband either , wished something terrible would have happened to him .
on 24 October 2011
I absolutely adore Peter James and, in my opinion, he is one of the top authors when it comes to thrillers, so it really pains me to admit that I did not enjoy this particular book. I found it really difficult to connect with the lead character who I found myself not really liking or understanding. I never really got into the story from the start although I kept on reading in the hope that it would lead somewhere - sadly it didn't. Very disappointed.
on 23 May 2010
You either like this genre and this author or you don't. I am a fan of these easy to read but engaging books. In Dreamer you have the classic woman in peril scenario. But who will rescue her from her horrific dreams? Thoroughly enjoyable page turner.
on 11 March 2013
This book dates back to the 80s so I am guessing that it has been re-released because of the current success of Peter James' detective series. I had forgotten that he used to be a horror writer back in the day, and I actually think this is his forte, as the book was genuinely eerie and kept me gripped the whole way through, especially as like Sam, the heroine, I started to get confused between dreams and reality and had no idea what was coming next.

Sam's childhood trauma if anything is even more frightening than anything she dreams about - little wonder she has nightmares as an adult! The only negative for me was the ending - after all that build up it kind of fizzles out without a proper explanation to tie it all together- I would certainly have like to have the 'Slider' part of the plot fleshed out a bit and have more about his background, rather than just a throwaway explanation at the end.

I think horror writing was at its peak in the 80s and this (though not the best example around) is well worth reading, especially if you get it at a supermarket bargain price.
on 23 April 2016
I love the Peter James range, mostly set in Brighton which just happens to be where my
thirty year old son lives so I have some knowledge of areas featured. More than that though
in 2014 with my confidence shattered after loosing a job I had done for 30 years and then
having my wife divorce me after 30 years of marriage. I had what surgeons say is 'an easy
cut, replacing part of my knee with a plastic prosthetic . Things did not go well however ,
and two years and another hospital later I sit on what has become my additional piece of kit,
being my 'Ben NG' Wheelchair with barely 8 inches (185 mm) of my original right leg
remaining . So I can understand some of the weird things that happen in Peter James's works .
Hopefully later in my life, I can enjoy reading those lovely short chapters of his again, and , having collected most of his fictional works going back to the early 1990's that will not be
too far away. Mark V.