5.0 out of 5 stars An action story with real depth
I loved this book and while I could have read it in the course of one day, I made it last for three - simply to extend the pleasure of being engaged with the characters and the story.

What did I like about it?

Published 21 months ago by Paul Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Citadel - Not top of the list
Published 21 months ago by Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars An action story with real depth, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)

What did I like about it?

- It was an action story that was plot driven but was also one whose characters were more than two dimensional and about whom I cared. As an example of this, I found myself wanting to shout at some of the characters at times to give advice or a warning, but they ignored me and made their own decisions...

- I was left with questions concerning the characters and plot that I needed to think about. Finishing this book was not just a matter of pressing the "next page" button on the Kindle for the last time and then moving on to the next book. This story demanded that I take time after reading it to reflect on it.

- The sweep of the land up into the mountains was matched by the sweep of the story. As I read it I thought I could see some of the dramatic "plot-peaks" it was heading towards but could only guess how it would get there. Sometimes I was right but mostly I was off the mark. I enjoyed being drawn into the story like this.

Yes, the ending was emotionally complex and difficult, but for me this was also its final and greatest peak and confirmed the book as much more than just another action story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Labyrinth and Sepulchre enormously and was overjoyed when I heard Kate had written the final book in the Languedoc trilogy. I was expecting this to be more on the lines of the previous two books, namely the supernatural elements, but this is nothing like the other two at all. Yes Audric Baillard features quite heavily throughout, but it really took me until 300 pages to start to thoroughly enjoy the book.

It starts off very slowly with the character building etc, and at times I wondered where it was actually going. I then realised this is actually a book about the French Resistance but I am so glad I stuck with it. Yes, it's overlong but thoroughly enjoyable. As I say, I loved the second half of the book and couldn't put my Kindle down and was utterly heartbroken at the conclusion; tears of joy and sadness. Sandrine is a worthy heroine but I loved the hero, Raoul.

I have heard that filming has started of Labyrinth and I hope the film does the book justice. I also sincerely hope they film the other two in the trilogy as, especially this book, would make a cracking film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Citadel - Not top of the list, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)
I have read all the books in this series and was thrilled when Citadel appeared. However, I have to confess to being a little disappointed by Citadel. The ideas in the story are interesting and the tales and legends of that part of France have lost none of their appeal. However, I found the narrative woolly. It was a struggle to keep up with the characters and the plot lacked tightness. The author got rather bogged down by the mystical elements of the plot and there was too much detail in general which slowed down the pace of the story. However, I do like the ideas behind Citadel. It perhaps needs reading twice!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)
I've read in other reviews of Kate Mosse books that some find her occasional use of of French or Oc phrases irritating, but I felt they added to my enjoyment; for me they serve as reminders of the setting of the story. And what a setting....and what a story! As the author makes clear in the afterword, it's a fiction set around a real situation (the German occupation of the Midi region during WW2).
For me, the supernatural element, and the reappearance from other books of the mysterious M Baillard added to the enjoyment of the story. Her descriptions of Carcassone and the other towns in the area have caused me to add a visit to the region to my "bucket list". Is it great literature? Perhaps not - I'm not qualified to judge, but it IS a great yarn!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good entry in the Languedoc Trilogy, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Citadel (Hardcover)
I have to say I was rather disappointed in Citadel- it's very obvious that Mosse is passionate about the era, the effect of occupied France and the role of women, and that's commendable, but to try and shoehorn all of that into the last book in the Languedoc trilogy is a huge mistep. All of that totally overshadows the mysticism elements which were present in the previous two entries, and which were in theory to be the thread binding all the books together. I'd barely even call it a timeslip novel, since the more ancient of the two time periods is referred to so infrequently.

Whilst the writing isn't bad, the pacing is almost none existent, and I found very little imputus to carry on reading; as it drew to a conclusion, I only wished for it to be over. The characters are all rather cliched, occasionally doing things out of character as the plot dictates, and the romance plot was weak.

I read the others in the series as the difference time periods and locations interested me, along with the supernatural elements. I was expecting at least a fresh take on wartime France with this, and similar time and care to be taken with the earlier historic period. As it was, I got neither.

Not a terrible book, but why Mosse didn't write this as a separate side story and give the Languedoc a fitting ending comparable with the other books I will never know.

1.0 out of 5 stars dreadful, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)
In short, this Writer cannot write. I cannot understand how she even published one book let alone others, nor why she seems to be a popular author. Presumably there is an army of people out there who enjoy badly written books - or do not notice the difference. I like historical novels, but although I tried, could not wade through this one and had to give up. The prose is stiff and could have been written by a schoolgirl. All in all, a big disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Citadel (Hardcover)
I have read all of Kate's books so far. Confess to being disappointed with this one. Not enough of past verses present for my taste. It's a good read but not for me I was loosing the will to live over it and that was with skimming pages.
Sorry Kate must do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Citadel - an exciting look at a not much know period of history., 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed all the Kate Mosse books that I have read and this one is no exception. She paints a very descriptive account of the area in which the book is set. The characters have depth and the period, not long before I was born, is very interesting to me. I have found the book exciting and would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys history with maybe a spiritual touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into the recent past in Carcassonne., 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)
If you liked Labyrinth you will love this. it really is for Francophiles and those with prior knowledge of the Languedoc. There is also much reference to earlier history which may put some readers off. The constant slipping between eras could also irritate some.The story of the Maquis in this area is chillingly real. I kept reminding myself that this all happened seventy years ago and people still living in Carcassonne will remember this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Citadel (Kindle Edition)
I was expecting the interest and depth of plot of Labyrinth and Sepulchre - I was sadly disappointed with Citadel. The plot is shallow and the story is full of over the top flowery descriptions, I needed willpower to get to the end, there is always that bit of optimism that it is going to get better - sadly it does not. The occult aspect of the story, so powerfully present in the previous two books is almost absent in this latest episode.

Citadel
Citadel by Kate Mosse (Hardcover - 25 Oct 2012)