5.0 out of 5 stars After reading this, you really believe you can do it!
Published on 27 Oct 2006 by Tony Gough

3.0 out of 5 stars A canny Scot who says one size fits all - no it doesn't
Duncan is a canny Scot with a very dry sense of humour. He remains true to his challenged upbringing by not wanting to spend unless really necessary. He made a heap of money following common sense principles. He does try to remain unassuming by giving the impression that what he achieved financially was nothing special and 'anyone can do it.' Well they can't...
Published 8 months ago by Laurence Dann

5.0 out of 5 stars After reading this, you really believe you can do it!, 27 Oct 2006
Tony Gough (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
If like me you are an avid viewer of `The Dragons Den', you will have already had a glimpse of the personality of Duncan Bannatyne. From the inability to hide a mischievous grin when faced with a weird and wonderful contestant or idea (and in some cases both!), to getting seriously involved in negotiations on an idea he thinks could work, you get a hint as to why he is successful, he enjoys what he does and he seems to enjoy life.

The book generously expands on these aspects, and works at different levels, giving you in his own words, both an insight into the man as well as how he has developed his flourishing business empire into a huge concern, with no signs yet of wanting to sitting back and rest on his laurels!

It's a great read whether you are looking for a business book with a difference or simply to know more about a man who truly believes that anyone can be as successful as he is, if they approach things with the right attitude. But be warned, once you start reading it will be difficult to stop and you'll probably end up reading the book in one sitting and on coming to the end, find that all those ideas you had of creating your own business suddenly have a new lease of life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspirational - You will not want to put it down!, 23 Nov 2006
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
This book arrived on the Wednesday Afternoon and I had finished it by early evening Thursday. You will just not want to put it down!!

Bannatyne is clearly a man driven by a desire to succeed, both personally and professionally. Not afraid to work hard to acheive his goals, with a keen eye for talented staff and a business mentality built on morals and common sense and a need to make a small difference to the world around him.

The book also illustrates a more sensitive side to Bannatyne and his work with Unicef. A great read for any wanting to learn about self made millionaires or simply wants understand the man himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good man and a good story., 19 April 2007
A. I. McCulloch (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
I met Duncan and his children some years ago and have followed his career with interest - at that time he was fairly well established in the care homes sector, and already a wealthy man. It wasn't that that impressed me though, it was the dedication to his children which shone out. He is a 100% family man, and though his TV persona tries to hide it at times, a really decent guy.

Anyone Can Do It is an enormously readable book - not a punch is pulled by Duncan, notably in his retelling of his Navy career, and several heartstrings are tugged en route. Duncan is a hard -headed businessman, sure, and nobody's fool, but he is also a man of great compassion and this shines out in the book.

Here is the proof that nice guys do finish first. Sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspirational if you're looking for motivation to start your own business., 29 Mar 2007
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
Very inspirational particularly if you're looking for motivation to start your own business, however, this book is far far more than that. I hate reading to the point that there is only just one other book that I have read cover to cover in my lifetime although I have held business development roles for 2 of the 3 large corporate IT software companies worldwide (just to get the point accross that I'm not illiterate!). A word of advice, keep your highlighter pen handy or mini post it notes to tag the pages that contain golden nuggets of lessons that can be learned and used in real business scenarios from this book. Don't hesitate, just buy the book you will not be dissappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, useful tips and an insight into luck, 26 May 2007
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
Having already read Richard Branson's book I decided that I should now read Duncan's life story and the simple reason for this is.....I have also started my own business and I feel it is useful to gain life experience from people who have already been there and stayed there.

The story has a mixture of humour, sadness, determination, intelligence and sheer luck I believe. I would say that Richard and Duncan have one thing in common and that is they were both at the right place at the right time although Duncan does disagree with this. Another area where they have in common is that fact that they are willing to take risks,and may I add big risks. Duncan sold everything to pursue his dream which is were a lot of people would not.

I would recommend this book to people not only starting out to get some ideas but also those who enjoy reading other peoples biographies. This is one to have on your bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book - Thank You, 7 Aug 2007
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
I bought Anyone Can Do It to take on holiday with me, it was recommended by a friend and I thought OK why not. From reading it I now understand why my friend would not lend me hers, what a superb read. It had me laughing in chapters and crying in other chapters.
What I found most interesting from the book is that it motivates you in all aspect of your life not just business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 7 Aug 2007
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
I found this book to be brilliant, once I started to read it I just could not put it down.
I don't normally read books but I thought I would give this one a go, totally inspirationally. If you are lacking inspiration this is the book to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A valuable insight into the mind of an entrepreneur, 6 Feb 2007
Robin Armstrong "madaboutwatches" (Waterlooville, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
Duncan Bannatyne's autobiography takes you through a fascinating journey from his formative years in Clydebank, his days in the Navy to his current TV successes with Dragon's Den. Its written simply without any sense of pretention. From early on you start to sense that Duncan takes no prisoners in business but yet is wholly ethical and caring in the way he runs his companies. There's no magic formula for success in the book but what it does teach you is that to make serious money you need to invest again what you make from your first venture and keep doing so until the end result is a string of business all providing healthy returns against capital. It's not all success though, there's plenty of failure there too, not least of which is his turbulent personal life and failed deals that fell foul of Duncan's obvious principles.

Overall it's a great read and thoroughly entertaining. It gives you a real understanding of what it takes to be entrepreneur, and its not so much having great ideas, far more about getting out there and making things happen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done Duncan, 26 Sep 2007
susie (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anyone Can Do It: My Story (Hardcover)
Having seen Duncan Bannatyne on Dragon's Den and knowing that he was a self-made millionaire, I was intrigued to read his book.

What struck me was that it could so easily have turned out badly for him - he was drifting and had been in trouble with the police before he turned his life around.

This is a rattling good read and if you learn nothing else it is that getting the most out of life is about going out and seizing opportunities and not just waiting for them to come knocking on your door.

Duncan deserves his success. The book does not get five stars from me because I think it loses its way a little towards the end, but all in all a page turner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive Read., 25 Sep 2007
If you looking for a How To book, this isnt it. I picked up this book because I was interested on how he made it, but mainly looking for hints and tips on how to run a business, i didn't find them.

Thats not to say that I was disappointed in the least though. The story takes you on a rollercoaster and proves that the title of this book is true. If you think you havnt been dealt the right hand in life and you wont be able to do it, read this book, truely inspirational.

If you want a how to guide, dont buy it, if you want to be inspired, view the life of a succesful businessman who started from literally nothing, then buy this book.

ARRAY(0xa742e864)

Anyone Can Do It: My Story
Anyone Can Do It: My Story by Duncan Bannatyne (Hardcover - 12 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01