on 27 November 2013
Oh dear, what a disappointment. DC comes over very well as a commentator these days, but you would never believe he could be so erudite going by this rambling jumble. Perhaps the ghost writer is to blame: he seems to have taken things over entirely. Would DC really write "I was like " before saying what he said? He might speak that way, but write it? And are so many expletives included to promote some sort of rock and roll image? Seemed fitting in Keith Richard's wonderful autobiog. but not here.
The early life in his home village was interesting, especially since I know the area well, as were the early days of karting and the lesser formulae. But the lengthy self indulgent debate about whether he was a "ladies man" or not was tedious in the extreme, as were the other attempts at self analysis. He doesn't paint a good picture of himself...

A little more motor sport, less self indulgent tosh, if this is to be updated to cover the retirement from racing and subsequent TV career, please! And write it yourself, DC!
on 12 January 2010
As a Scot I really wanted to read this book because I was a fan of Coulthard....but it wasn't all I hoped for.

I actually look at him in a different light. Not necessarily a bad light, but he's not up where I used to place him. I've always classed him as a mediocre driver with occasional sparks of brilliance. His book seems to show this, but then contradicts itself by saying he is brilliant. How HE got big names to go to Red Bull.

He came across as arrogant and yet humble. Normal and yet a legend. His dismissal of "normal" people (he mentions how it annoys him that his friend says "you have to try Skateboarding" or "you have to try snowboarding "- why would you let it annoy you that someone says that??) seems to come from the fact that a chunk of his childhood is missing. He doesn't seem to know how to interact with normal people and doesn't seem to be comfortable outside F1. I guess this is normal as he's been in racing for so long...but it's a shame that he's missed his childhood. Also his dad seems to come across as a "US mother of a pageant beauty queen"...pushing, pushing, pushing. But I guess if you're going to invest that kind of money in your son, then maybe you would be that pushy. Seems a shame though.

The main gripe I had with his book is his constant insistence to advertise it to me...there's no need David...I've got it...that's why I'm reading it. It just irked me almost the whole way through the book (and therefore made it an uphill struggle to enjoy it) that he continually says "It is what it is"...it's a simple thing and I'm sure it won't bother many people...but it amazed me how much it got on my nerves. From then on (well before halfway through) I was fighting to enjoy it.

Don't go expecting any inside info into the paddock world or F1...it's Coulthards book and he's writing about himself. This didn't annoy me because I knew it was going to be about him...just letting you know.

I have to give him credit though. Normally if I am disliking a book, I have no problems putting it down. But something about it made me want to read to the end. And I did - so I don't know...it is what it is, I guess!

I gave it 3 stars - took one away for his annoying promotion of the book within the book, and one away for seemingly being so contradictory in places.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 March 2008
Not much insight into the life and deliberations of the F1 circus I'm afraid. What earns this book the two stars are the first chapters on DC's early years, his childhood, family and bumpy road along the way to the higher formulae.

The words here really bring to life what it was like for a middle class scottish family supporting one of their children in pursuing his ambitions.

However the F1 section is pretty vacant, and for the oldest, most experienced driver on the grid, one feels that the insight, emotions and dealings could have been better explained. I'm not talking about dishing the dirt or blowing the lid on some libellous secrets, but some sort of "colour" is missing. There are a few page-turning chapters, such as the episodes with Mika Hakkinen and Ron Dennis, but I felt the rest of it was a turn-off.

It's altogether too navel gazing and more about DC trying to work out how he should behave or be perceived to be behaving. He's clearly got some psychological issues having been at the pinnacle of the sport for a number of years. The celebrity status that F1 brings clearly doesn't sit well with him, but an autobiography is not the place to explore that.

A good first few chapters, but overall there are better books for F1 fans out there.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 August 2014
This is a book that changed my view on its subject. Unfortunately it changed it for the worse. The book starts very well. Its first seven chapters are very good at depicting the infancy days and his early career through karting and the lesser formulae.

In this highly enjoyable part of the book we are told a bit about the family history and glimpse the importance that those facts would have on the beginning of DC's career. We witness a pushy father trying to live is own shattered dreams through his kid, and the importance it had on the motorsport life of DC. The feeling I got is that DC was really happy in his karting days. Formula Ford was not so enjoyable but he mastered it nonetheless.

Walking up the Stewart `Staircase of Talent' was a bit more difficult. Later in F3000 DC got to a point that lack of funding would eventually stop his career. And then Imola 1994 gave him the chance of a lifetime. And he grabbed it. Unfortunately from this point on the book started to go downhill.

The whining about the McLaren years, the inability to acknowledge the fact that he was not the fastest and the weird attempts at self analysis were really, really boring. And what to say about the constant repetition of the (ugly) title throughout the book? Annoying to say the least.

After struggling to the end of this book I have to say (in a DCish way) that it is what it is. And it is boring.
on 23 April 2012
I have always been a fan of DC, he seemed a hard working honest driver and is an excellent commentator. I was pretty disappointed with his book though. I am sure that a career as a driver in a top flight team must be pretty bruising but I didn't like the way most of his comment on McLaren was so negative. There was no mention of any positive team stuff like comment about his mechanics etc and surprisingly little about any racing where he wasn't upset about his team mate . Alot of the book was DC's general comments on life, and the sad fact is a guy his age and in such a focused environment doesn't have much to say that's worth hearing. He also seems to have a bizarre fascination with toilet brushes! However DC is very honest about himself and in his world he seems quite isolated and vulnerable, perhaps he would have been happier with a career where you can trust your colleagues. Finally I would have liked to let my son read this but in my impression the book was peppered with unnecessary f words and some pretty odd comments about the size of DCs appendage etc. Perhaps he is overall a pretty insecure guy trying to prove himself?
on 26 December 2011
I am reading the book at the moment and I thought it was a bit cheesy to keep getting in the book title 'It is was it is' but this is a minor thing. I wouldn't dock him any stars for it.

I am English and I never really support 'Coulthard' back in his early days but he grew on me and I did rate him as a driver. I thought the T.V. has really shown great character and I think he is a top guy, he like many others drivers and sportsman make great sacrifices to be successful. I always found him to be one of the good guys as all the Scottish F1 drivers have been.

Since reading this book I can honest say I would group him amongst the likes of Jackie and Jim, just for his dedication, courage and determination along with having great skills a racing driver. He certainly had the potential and is a Champion in my eyes.
He obviously like many other went through some very hard times and as we know F1 is a very cruel sport at times and he rode the wave to have a very good career.

I am actually finding it a more interesting book than I expected, even better than the 'Jackie Stewart' World is not enough and that is also a great read.
on 13 August 2007
This must be one of the best written and most honest sporting biographies I have read. It's not just a list of races and achievements, but an honest insight into the life of a Formula 1 driver, with details of the women, the lifestyle, the plane crash, and an insiders view of the personalities from the world of Formula 1 racing.
A great read, not just for motor racing fans, but for anyone who wants an entertaining insight into the lifestyle of the rich and famous.
on 30 March 2015
I'm still only half way through this book but its very very good indeed. DC really does tell it like it is and does not conform to the 'wont say it, in-case it upsets someone' rule. DC is a genuine guy and really tells you some eye opening things about his slightly unfair time at Mclaren, as well as good insight to some of BS that the press put his way, you could see how silly stories get believed. Very very funny and his early sex life is even mentioned in amusing ways. Good book one the best driver biogs written in my opinion.
on 16 August 2007
Having read other F1 drivers biographys Jenson Button and Eddie Irvine i was interested to get a behind the scenes look at what motivates Coulthard all these years later, and for me what the 9 years at Mclaren were realy like! The book comes over as an open and honest look at his climb to getting his F1 drive after the death of senna to his current drive with Red Bull Racing and those interesting 9 years at Mclaren for me the Mclaren years were the most revealing but sometimes not supprising! If your into F1 a must read. Im just waiting to see what Bernie has to say in his book out in October!
on 26 August 2007
...this has been a scintillating read.

I rarely read autobiographies, but a friend of mine encouraged me to buy this book. I tried desparately to borrow theirs to no avail ;)

Sporting books usually get left on the shelf after reading the first couple of pages, but I've been glued to this for the first six chapters- which is all I've had time to read since it arrived yesterday.

Buy this book - you'll enjoy it if you're a Formula One fan- its not the usual stuffy rubbish.