on 10 June 2003
This anthology is, for my money, the best introduction to poetry around at the moment. Having started in the London Underground, it reflects the cosmopolitan makeup of that city. There's something from almost every corner of the world here - the Caribbean, medieval Ireland, several poems in translation... plus excellent (and sometimes very humorous) notes on the poems. There are classics too, such as the famous poem by Auden used in Four Weddings and a Funeral (the original title is simply "Song".)
If you'd like to own a very good, accessible poetry anthology but you're frightened by the size of, say, the Norton anthology, buy this one instead.
on 29 April 2009
This is a great book as an introduction to all the great poets and also serves as a pretty good anthology. There are some classic poems from authors you would expect to see here as well as some lesser known ones. This doesn't just restrict itself to English poets either with contributions from Europe and Australia. I especially enjoyed the more comical poems and ditties along with their illustrations.
on 30 November 2013
First of all, I've never ever written nor read many poems. I was not fortunate enough to receive a good education throughout my childhood, but I made it to uni eventually. I met someone here who recommended me this book as great way to get into literature. I saw the book and didn't think it was one of those stuck-up books.

Well... I was reading through the pages on the bus, and I started reading Sonnet 29 by billy you-know-who, and something about the sonnet astonished. I wasn't sure what exactly, but it just looked beautiful, I didn't understand it entirely but got the gist of it. Then I went online and I realised that the sonnet had a specific structure that made it so elegant.

I'm starting to learn more about poetry, structures, analyses etc. even though I'm doing a completely irrelevant degree, but hey, anyone can learn whatever they want, right?
on 1 February 2009
Never beaten as an anthology of taster poetry. I've always loved these poems. Love to read them on the tube and in the book. Especially useful for people who think poetry is boring. These pieces most certainly are not. They often amuse and always strike home.
on 13 June 2014
I read his Obituary in The Telegraph and remembered reading some of them on the Underground. The book is in excellent condition and is great fun.
on 27 April 2015
One of my favourite anthologies. The choice is enhanced by the layout - one poem per page definitely brings more focus to each piece.
on 4 March 2016
The cover was filthy and in need of a good wipe down.
on 28 December 2014
Bought as a gift, for someone who was thrilled.