4.0 out of 5 stars Most Enjoyable, 12 Mar 2010
This is my first Wycliffe mystery and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like another reviewer, I listen to audiobooks on long journeys and the time passed very quickly with this one. I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because I did guess the conclusion, but there were sufficient twists throughout to keep me on my toes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death on an island, 24 Dec 2011
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Wycliffe is called to investigate a death on an island community. A young girl has been found in a quarry with injuries more serious than could be expected from a fall. The community is convinced that a pop star who has moved to the island is responsible but Wycliffe is not so sure. I thought the claustrophobic atmosphere of a small community where everyone knows everyone and is probably related to them was very well done.

I thought the plot was well constructed and the dialogue believable and I liked the way the characters interacted. The sense of things going on under the surface was always there. I especially liked Wycliffe's lunch with the Warden of the islands where many messages were delivered but little actually said. I liked the eccentric characters which you get in any small community.

This is an enjoyable read for those who like their crime novels to be written in the conventional way with little on the page violence or bad language. If you enjoy Alan Hunter's Gently series then you may enjoy Wycliffe. The series starts with Wycliffe and the Three Toed Pussy (Wycliffe Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars My first W.J.But let book., 6 July 2014
I have often watched Wycliffe on the television but this was my first book. The author held me entranced I could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars wycliffe and death in a salubrious place, 10 Sep 2013
I enjoyed this tremendously I am really sorry that I have now read them all once started you will not put it down until the end

5.0 out of 5 stars 5* Read that you won't want to put down, 31 Aug 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It has lots of twists and turns and really keeps you hooked and had me guessing right to the end. Another great book from W J Burley.

5.0 out of 5 stars wycliffe I'm hooked ., 4 Feb 2013
susan margaret woods (Korumburra, Victoria, AU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wycliffe and Death in a Salubrious Place (Wycliffe Mysteries) (Paperback)
Again I'm taken to Cornwall and everything Wycliffe . Feel like I know him so well and of course always a great mystery .

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and engaging, 1 Sep 2009
S. P. Partridge (East Anglia UK) - See all my reviews
I like to have a good story to listen to whilst I am driving long distances. This CD was perfect. It was a good and engaging murder mystery story. It was cleverly written and well presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 17 Dec 2013
gary c atkins (leicester.england) - See all my reviews
Very interesting and enjoyable. Burley plots are always well thought out. Fully recommended and a well earned 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 20 April 2013
absolutely wonderful. You are lucky that today I am in loquacious mood and so am able to satisfy you with the amount of words required.

Wycliffe and Death in a Salubrious Place (Wycliffe Mysteries)
7.08