Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 September 2001
David Beck thought his wife was murdered eight years ago, the victim of a serial killer. Then an anonymous email arrives which suggests that, just possibly, she's still alive. To add to the intrigue, the murder case is reopened and Beck is now the FBI's main suspect. The action takes off when Beck becomes a fugitive and is not only pursued by the police, but also by a bunch of thugs intent on silencing him for good - and how on earth do those blokes come into it?. All the while, he tries to meet up with the mystery correspondent, not an easy task when it seems his every move is monitored.
I found this to be one of those books that seems a lot shorter than it actually is because the action is non-stop, you barely have time to get over one near miss when you're confronted with some other danger or a new piece of the puzzle is put into place. It's a compelling book thanks to the mystery surrounding the death of Elizabeth Back, wife of David Beck. This was one of the more enjoyable books I've read this year and rate it very highly purely on its ability to entertain.
on 17 March 2006
This book was the best I have read in a long time - I am new to Mr Coben's work and this will not be last one I read. Something happens on every page and its gripping. I read it in 2 days and was disappointed when I had to sleep and put the book down till the morning! I 110% recommend this one and I am off to get another right now.......
on 14 March 2002
WOW! is the after effect from this book. From beginning to end you cannot put this down. I lived and breathed my days at work to find out what happened next!
Effectively written in first person for the main character (Beck), this book is a gripping tangle of intertwined personal agendas and feelings. You could not guess the end result in a million years!I was addicted to this book, even to the very last page, and had to physically prevent myself from reading the end chapter to see the outcome!
Exciting, tearful, addictive, absolutely thrilling!
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes to be "blown away" with a believable thriller, and certainly felt like I had been slapped in the face by a FANTASTIC read!
The best book I have read for a long time.
11 comment|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2005
Eight years ago Beck lost his wife to a serial killer...or so he thought until he started to receive emails from someone that knows things only she could.
From the start of this book, to the end, it is a fantastic read and I could barely put it down. I've read others from the same author and I wasn't dissapointed this time.
If you want a great holiday book, pick this one, my only sadness was that it finished - albeit with a great twist!
on 24 February 2012
I go through a lot of crime fiction and I've read four of Harlan Coben's novels, this being the fourth. Unfortunately this is the book which made me decide not to bother with any of his books again. All four books I've read have been essentially the exact same plot. Not just some similarities but the very same plot with just slightly different resolutions in each case.

Tell No One is certainly a page turner but the author got carried away with the twists. The final twist, on the very last page, is ludicrous as it completely invalidates the actions and words spoken by the two main characters all through the novel. Quite simply, if this final twist is true, the narrator has been lying to us for the entire book when he claims to have no idea why anyone would want to harm his wife. Also, the manner in which he survives after being thrown unconscious into the water is beyond belief. The author frequently "plots himself into a corner" from which he requires unbelievable and lazy solutions to extricate himself.
on 12 July 2001
This is an absolutely excellent book. After each chapter I thought I'd sussed out who the killer was, only to change my mind a few pages later. I read this book in two days. I couldn't put it down. I am a fan of crime novels but had never read anything by Coben before, I shall definetely be reading more. Excellent!
on 29 October 2001
I wasn't a particular fan of crime novels, but I read a synopsis of this book as did a few of the reviewers here, but from the very first chapter I was hooked. I kept having to hide it under my desk at work to read it! It makes you try and work it all out by yourself, with every single twist and turn everyone becomes a suspect and every page is a thriller. If your train journey in the morning is a long one then this book will make it shorter; you get to the end and you realised your amatueur sleuthing was all wrong! The characters are ace, you can see them and the places described in your head. Cannot wait for the film!
on 6 June 2001
An excellent murder-mystery with plenty of characters and plenty of twists and turns, right through to the very last page. For fans of the Myron Bolitar series the writing style is different, but then presumably Harlan Coben thought it was time for a change. Some of the story is written autobiographically by Dr. David Beck and the rest written in the third person - quite an interesting approach. I look forward to the film - it should be a great improvement on many of the thrillers released over the last few years. Highly recommended - an ideal holiday read.
on 3 March 2002
I saw the preview on amazon and thought that this book sounded like a good one, and on buying and starting to read I realised my instincts were correct.
Right from the start the reader is transported straight to the action and at times it feels as though everything that happens to David Beck happens to you. The novel is narrated from Davids point of view and easily flips from past to 'present' day, and how he is coping with his life and living day to day after the tragedy of the past, then bam! a bolt from the blue and it all goes haywire!
The writing is very descriptive and easy to read,it keeps you focused preventing your mind wandering, and reading the same bits over and over. I desperately wanted it all to be alright and back to normal for him especially when he then becomes a fugitive, and resorts to hiding out and running from the police. David then seeing a different world to his cosy existence, and having to act accordingly against all of his previous principles. The answers to the questions and mystery are finally revealed certainly not in the way that I suspected and the ending was a surprise. I feel that this novel would certainly be one which could easily adapt into an excellent movie.
on 21 July 2004
I used to read so many books, once upon a time. I dont know what happened - everything I do persuade myself to read these days seems to become a chore after a few chapters. Now I have just finished "Tell No One" in 3 sittings, and I am here on Amazon to buy more of Harlan Coben's books. "Tell No One" is an incredible read - Coben manages to skip the unnecessary waffle so loved by his peers and get right to the story, and yet still manages to make all his characters become entirely real to you. It's all in the dialogue, which speaks volumes about each character in the novel. You NEED to read this story, and somebody needs to turn it into a movie. No, on second thoughts - leave it as it is. Harlan Coben has got me reading again!