5.0 out of 5 stars Best read!
A fantastic book; well worth the read. You ride the journey along side pippa as she reveals the heartaches and upset to the most pragnatic times in her life so much so you feel as though you are part of her! Would definately recommend this book i couldn't put it down!
Published on 28 July 2010 by K8

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many characters!
Published on 3 Jan 2005 by DE

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read!, 28 July 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to be surgically removed from my hands!!, 30 Dec 2004
Kate Smith (Notts, England) - See all my reviews
This is by far the Best book I have read for years if not ever! Having said that I am a Huge fan of eventing and of course Pippa. This is definately the best autobiography I have read from an eventer, and showed the side of the sport many people don't actually realise is there. It had me laughing so much I cried with the Monkey incident, and reduced me to tears with the loss of Orville and Barnaby, to name but a few instances. Pippa has spared no emotion in this book, and it makes you really see what sacrifices she has made to become arguably the best in the biz. You feel you are riding the rollercoaster of highs and lows with her every step of the way, which is what makes this book stand out for me as the best I've read. After reading it you will know so much of what Pippa's been through you will feel that you have been a friend of hers for years!! Utterly Amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pippa Funnell: the autobiography, 16 April 2009
Regina Kershaw "mumjak" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pippa Funnell: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I loved this book so much I ordered another one straightaway for my
"horsey" daughter. It brought back vivid memories of horse-trials
watched on TV or reviewed in Horse and Hound.
It's Pippa's amazing honesty and forthrightness that appeals,from her
deep love for her horses to her relationship with William.
I think it would appeal to the younger generation too as a model of
persistence and faith in one's chosen career.
It is one of those rare books I shall treasure always (soppy,but there
you go...)

5.0 out of 5 stars A story told from the heart of eventing, 22 Mar 2005
Robert Stevenson (Halifax, NS Canada) - See all my reviews
Pippa Funnell - the autobiography
The equestrian sport of eventing has experienced a great deal of scrutiny, tragedy and change in the past decade. Though much discussion over the past three years has been of the new format changes, the most uncontested feel-good story in the community has been that of Pippa Funnell. Thankfully, Pippa found the time through a very busy 2004 to record some of the details of her journey.
Remarkably, she tells the story of her life to this moment in time (21 August 2004 -- such that the book could be launched at Burghley) in such a way that it is not just a summary of happenings. She draws you into to her horse crazed youth. She describes the pains of pursuing the life of an athlete - one where both parents are not always pleased with your decisions. She describes the sacrifices - particularly as they relate to family - that are implicit in the life of one seeking to be the best in the world. She details each event in the book with great success. Information is supplied for the reason of understanding - no more, no less, and we are then able to follow the story-line as it unfolds. She displays the uncanny ability to transmit the feeling of her 'nerves' into her written text. Fortunately, there is no tidy epilogue - and this is most suitable as her story continues.
Her account of the equestrian details is most satisfying. She expounds on her development as a rider - both physically and mentally/emotionally. Her insight in to her cross country riding and balance should be duly noted by many. Through her account of her work with Nicky Heath, we all learn of the importance of the mental game. And of course, she tells her tale in a fashion that pays highest respect to the horses that have made her successes possible.
When we finish her story, we feel satisfied that she has really 'left no stone unturned.' We get the sense that things will never truly go 'belly up' for Pippa Funnell ever again. Go ahead, read this book, and then shower your horse with praise. Thank you Mrs. Funnell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this!!, 3 Feb 2010
This review is from: Pippa Funnell: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Having read most of the top eventer's autobiographies, I have to say that this was the one that I most enjoyed. I was able to relate to Pippa more, as the book was very honest especially when dealing with her competition nerves and marital problems. It made her seem more human, despite being extremely successful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutetly fabulous read, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: Pippa Funnell: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Once i picked up this book i could hardly put it down,every chapter drew me more and more into the book.The book took you all through her journey to the top and also how her and her team mates trained for sydney. I would definately reccomend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many characters!, 3 Jan 2005
This book has more "characters" than the Bible. I got the overwhelming feeling that Pippa did not want to offend any one of the (many) people who have supported her over the years, and as such left no-one out. This meant that the book for me, was short on what I would have enjoyed more - hearing about the horses and the preparations involved in a competitive, physically demanding and precarious sport. She seemed to have little recall for amusing anecdotes for the period before she started to write the book, and it was still on the dull side even once she was keeping a diary. Overall I would have preferred more about what the horses were/are like and training difficulties encountered and less about the wonderful people who put her up for a night in France.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as expected, 4 Jan 2005
S. Harrison "Sal" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I was really looking forward to this book, but was disappointed with it. In the book itself, Pippa tells us that the writing of the book happened when she had little time and was very busy, and Im afraid it shows. There is little of the behind the scenes information and you dont really get a feel for what it is like in Pippa's world. It is more a list of went here, this happened, went there, that happened, did this, I liked it, did that, I didnt like it, but no real pazzazz or enthusiasm to it.
Pippa is a wonderful, inspirational horsewoman and a genuinely nice person, and I wanted to share her experiences with her. Unfortunately it became a bit of a mundane read and really didnt open up Pippa's world to the reader in the way I expected. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading, 21 Oct 2004
A compelling read which outlines Pippa's struggle to get to the top of her sport. She tells of the highs and lows (and with horses there are plenty of both!) and it has made fantastic reading for me. It makes me proud to be a fan of British Equestrianism. It makes you understand the work that goes into the sport and the hours she puts in - best of luck to her and William and their entourage! Can't wait for the next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 April 2014
Very good book very informative about life as an eventer. Very funny at times and also shows the lows of the sport! Great read well reccommended! Pippa is a great eventer and has achieve many wins and prizes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pippa Funnell: The Autobiography
Pippa Funnell: The Autobiography by Pippa Funnell (Paperback - 1 Sep 2005)