4.0 out of 5 stars Informative but not as entertaining

Published on 21 Mar. 2011 by Dedicated Follower of Fiction

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative but not as entertaining, 15 Jun. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Hardcover)
I love Sundowners. A fabulous book with excellent characters. Therefore, I was very excited at the prospect of Saffron Skies. However, the plot on the front cover "2 sisters, one man" is misleading, as this is a minor point in a book with so many sub-plots going on. Again the author covers all sorts of recent political situations - the former Yugoslavia, Zimbabwe etc and it is an enjoyable read. It just isn't Sundowners.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mesmerising read- a fascinating look at how `the other half' live, 5 July 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Paperback)
The description of this book rather put me in mind of a Penny Vincenzi novel- society debutantes, wealthy businessmen and glamorous locations- so I was really looking forward to reading it. I'm quite into women's fiction at the moment and this had been sat on my bookshelf forever. The tag line of the book is, have other reviewers have said, a bit misleading. This isn't really a story about two sisters fighting over one man, it is so much more than that- so please don't buy it expecting a gritty sisterly feud over a bloke.

The book revolves around multiple narratives about the same wealthy family and the secondary characters of their friends and acquaintances. There's self-made multi millionaire Max and his English family based in London- his alcoholic wife Angela and their two children Kieran and Amber. In Rome there's Max's mistress Francesca, and his daughter Paola. The book mainly focuses on Amber and Paola- two half sisters who could really not be more different. Amber is more down to earth and determined to make a name for herself without relying on her father, whereas Paola's only goal is to bag herself a wealthy man- just like her mother did. Over the years we learn about the family and their ups and downs- a truly fascinating look at a wealthy family.

The book is really a blockbuster I suppose- rather written in a similar style to Jackie Collins, only set in London, Rome and Africa amongst other places and alternating between fast-paced hedonism, the horrors of war and slow moving romance. It is a look at how the wealthy live and has its humorous and poignant moments. One notion I really took away from this book is that all the money in the world can't buy you happiness- the Sall family were completely dysfunctional! Still, it's nice to read about characters with flaws (and believe me there are a LOT of flaws)- it made them all the more believable and in some cases, likeable. Talking of liking characters, I found myself liking Amber right from the very start of the novel- she isn't your typical `little rich girl' and for me that made the book very enjoyable. She wanted her own career, could stand up to her arrogant father and even earned his begrudging respect. I genuinely wanted to know what happened in her life. I also enjoyed the portrayal of her friend Madeleine, though Becky not quite so much- she seemed a bit of a waste of space and an utter shambles.

The story flows seamlessly- despite the jumps in years and the switch in locations. The narrative is very clever and you are pulled into the story very easily. I was genuinely sorry when I finished this book because it held my attention all the way through and the hopeless romantic in me did want to know if Amber would get her man and what would become of her friends love lives! Recommended as a book you can really lose yourself in- and this will probably particularly appeal to fans of Penny Vincenzi or Jackie Collins. I'm really looking forward to trying more books by this Lesley Lokko in future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too muddled to be a pleasant read, 21 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Audio CD)
This is the first book I have tried from Lesley Lokko and I think it will probably be the last. As has been observed by others, the "Two sisters, One man" bit is very misleading. The book is really the about the lives of three young women, starting when they meet as schoolgirls, and how they all end up in or involved with Africa. The frequent jumping between story threads I found irritating and detracting from the flow of the story. This is exacerbated by big time jumps as well as geographical leaps from continent to continent so that even when you know which character's point of view you are in it will not necessarily be clear where or when. I confess that I am listening to the audio version but it does not seem to have been abridged to any great extent. Although it is well read, it is not an easy book to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as enjoyable, 19 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Paperback)
Having read somewhat unfavourable comparisons of Saffron Skies to Sundowners, I was a little sceptical about reading it, as I didn't want it to not live up to Sundowners. However I was pleasantly surprised, and found myself enjoying it just as much as Sundowners, which is a book I can read time and time again - something I'm anticipating with this book also. I love the interweaving of political situations with the love stories and contemporary issues - makes it a perfect read, in my opinion. In particular in this book, I was drawn into the relationship of Amber and Tende, and was on tenterhooks at the end as to whether they would be reunited.

Brilliant read, I'd definitely reccommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great storytelling, 13 Mar. 2010
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Paperback)
Like other reviewers I found the cover of this book most misleading, it gives the impression that it's about two sisters fighting over one man. Basically this is one tiny aspect of the whole book and is so minor it doesn't even warrant a mention. The fact that both are attracted to this one man is something that is covered in about 5 or 6 pages of the whole 670+ pages in the book and doesn't really affest the story at all.
Apart from this small criticism the book is an absorbing and intelligent read, a far cry from fluffy chicklit but a good interesting blockbuster to get stuck into, with great characterisation and lots of interweaving storylines. The blurb on the back is very odd really, quite aside from the other comment I made, it doesn't even mention two of the three main characters. The book is about Amber, the daughter of a hugely rich businessman, her much hated half sister Paola, and Amber's two friends Becky and Madeleine, and takes place over a 20 year span, with locations worldwide.
Lesley Lokko certainly knows how to tell a good story, and what a lot of research she must put into her books for there is much in this one about wartorn Serbia, and uprising in Africa.
Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Paperback)
I'm such a fan of lesley lokko! Although I have to say the tagline for the book is misleading and so is the blurb really. It's still a really good book but doesn't really have to do with two women fighting over a man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Paperback)
I was a bit apprehensive at reading this book as I feared it wouldn't be as good as Sundowners. It was not a let down. This is another fab book that keeps you gripped all the way through, wanting to learn about each character and looking forward to following them further. It follows the same style as Sundowners, following a few different characters who are all connected,with a bit of historical cultural problems thrown in there too. A great read that I would recommend to anyone wanting to try something new or have read other Lesley Lokko books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED IT!, 1 April 2013
Nancy Brady "NancyNurse" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Paperback)
This was my first Lesly Lokko book and I never wanted it to end. As others have mentioned, however, the blurb on the cover about two sisters, one man, one winner was completely misleading and I wonder how they ever came up with that? Can you explain that please, Lesley?

Anyhow, this was a page turner for me. It was long but when I finished reading it last evening, I was so sad to have it end. So, here I am on Amazon looking for other books written by this lady.

Good job, Lesley!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Read, 3 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Paperback)
A friend leant me this book and I was not impressed when read the blurb but once I started reading the first paragrraph I was hooked!!! I read this long read in over a week...I was so hooked I did not want to finish it.

The blurb is not a good portray of actual content and could easily put someone off reading it...Luckily I was also drawn in by the title.

I have never read books by this author but will continue to venture on and read others as this was sooo good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed, 7 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Saffron Skies (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed all the books Lesley Lokko has written, only one more to go and I can't bear the thought of not having another to anticipate. She very cleverly introduces almost enough characters to confuse you then weaves the stories and characters together as the story wends its way towards the end. She researches her characters and their habitat/countries very carefully and her descriptions are beautiful. Please put pen to paper soon Lesley!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Saffron Skies
Saffron Skies by Lesley Lokko (Paperback - 7 Sept. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01