5.0 out of 5 stars In Praise of Slow
I read "In Praise of Slow" earlier this year after a chance meeting with it in a bookshop in my town; and I can say with absolute certainty that it is the only book that I have read that has changed my entire outlook on life. That alone is sufficient to give it a rating of five stars. How then has it changed me?

It has changed me by allowing me to...
Published on 1 Oct 2006 by David Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better!
I was a bit disappointed by this book. It's a rather breathless account of the Slow movement and as such not a particularly relaxing read. I got the impression that the author was the type of person who would rush through his hectic schedule in order to squeeze a bit of slowness into a carefully arranged slot in his diary.
The book is forever giving examples of...
Published on 24 Oct 2005 by Doctor Dolphin

5.0 out of 5 stars In Praise of Slow, 1 Oct 2006
This review is from: In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed (Paperback)

It has changed me by allowing me to understand its message: do not do as much as you can as fast as you can. If this strikes you as common sense, then you probably belong to the category of people who do not need to read the book but would nonetheless enjoy it. It is perhaps a problem for books such as this that it is only people with at least a glimmering notion of the light that it reflects who will bother to read it; some people will "not have time to read it" because they are so busy.

The book is not about taking everything slowly (I wonder whether I ought to repeat that), but about taking everything at the right speed. In our twenty-first-century world we are more often going too fast than too slow, so the book will inevitably concentrate on slowing down. There is a difference which not all previous reviewers seem to have noticed between "slow", adjective, and "Slow", social movement: it is the latter with which this book is concerned.

The right speed: the "Tempo Giusto". I am a musician, so the pages of the book that discussed this were of particular interest to me. I had not come across a "Tempo Giusto" movement before, though I had come across the term. It means either "just or exact rhythm" or "the speed that the style of the music demands (usually Moderato)" (The Oxford Companion to Music). The phrase is not used very often in the context of music as a tempo designation, because it does not convey any information to the musician: "at the right speed"; no composer is going to instruct the player to play the music "at the wrong speed", or almost no composer. And taking it to mean merely what it says, and not implying "moderato", a fast tempo is appropriate for an allegro piece, and a slow tempo for an andante. The idea of "Tempo Giusto" is appropriate not only in music but in all aspects of life.

Read this book Slowly; take your time; enjoy it. You will not be wasting your time. I hope you will have deleted that expression from your vocabulary by the time you finish reading "In Praise of Slow".

5.0 out of 5 stars Opens your eyes, 10 Jun 2005
Tim L. (London, England) - See all my reviews
I do not read books outside work very often but my girlfriend pestered me into reading this one and I am glad she did. In modern society it is so easy to get caught up in the fast track and we all need a reality check. This book did it for me. Honore explains really clearly why we are all in such a hurry, why it is bad for us and how we can live better by slowing down a bit. What I particularly liked was that the author never preaches. He is not some New Age guru. He is a journalist who lives in London. He shows you how other people around the world are putting the "Slow philosophy" into practise. I am already looking at my lifestyle with new eyes. I even had dinner at the table with my girlfriend the other day instead of in front of the telly. There are some laughs along the way in this book and Honore has a very good writing style. I have been recommending this book to friends and am looking forward to the author's next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready, set ... relax, 9 Mar 2006
J. Brand "jbrand" (Somewhere else) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Carl Honore is not just a luddite voice crying "stop the world, I want to get off" and with one eye on the line his detractors will take points out that he is not against speed when speed is necessary but he is against speed for speed's sake. By all means put in the overtime when the deadline looms but why put in the overtime just for the sake of being seen to be chained to your desk or why set a deadline which is impossible to achieve without overtime.
Honore surveys the world as it is and the movements that can bring it back to a human pace. At times this risks tripping too far into the touchy feely world of new age movements and each chapter will either resonate with the reader or irritate them. Chapters on subjects such as holistic medicine and tantric sex will divide the readership largely along lines defined by their attitude before they read this. Yet despite that there is a practical approach here to slowing down even if you take up not a single one of the practices. You can still come away with the message that slowing down and doing one thing right is better than a high speed portfolio of errors.
The disparate ideas he brings together, whether you agree with individual examples or not, combine to present a persuasive argument that speed is not a virtue in its own right and we can all improve our lives by living and working at a more human pace.

4.0 out of 5 stars This will make you rethink your relationship with time!, 13 May 2004
By A Customer
An award-winning Canadian journalist advocates living a slower, more measured existence, in virtually every area, a philosophy he defines as 'balance.'
Honoré's personal wake-up call came when he began reading one-minute bedtime stories to his two-year-old son in order to save time. The practice dramatized how he, like most of the world, was caught up in a speed culture that probably began with the Industrial Revolution.
The author explores, in convincing and skillful prose, a quiet revolution known as 'the slow movement,' which is attempting to integrate the advances of the information age into a lifestyle that is marked by an 'inner slowness' that gives more depth to relationships with others and with oneself. Although there is no official movement, Honoré credits Carol Petrini, an Italian culinary writer and founder of the slow food movement in Italy, with spearheading the trend to using fresh local foods, grown with sustainable farming techniques that are consumed in a leisurely manner with good company.
The author also explores other slow movements, such as the practice of Tantric sex (mindful sexual union as a road to enlightenment), complementary and alternative medicine, new urbanism and the importance of leisure activities like knitting, painting and music.
For the overprogrammed and stressed, slow and steady may win the race.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop the world, I want to get off!, 17 Feb 2006
G. L. Haggett "glynlhaggett" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Another book in the mould of "No Logo" and "Willing Slaves", which takes examples from various aspects of our overbusy lives, from work through to sex, to challenge the ever-increasing pace of the daily whirl and offer an alternative way of living.
Clearly aware of the scepticism with which his attitude is likely to be greeted in some quarters, Honore's direct, straightforward style prevents the book ever becoming prescriptive. Instead, his realistic approach offers a viable prospect of a more enjoyable, fulfilling lifestyle which can be achieved with a few simple adjustments to the way we do things. Inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Read' for Everyone, 19 Jan 2006
Gary Reynolds (UK) - See all my reviews
There are so many self-help books out there on subjects ranging from effective childcare to how to work less or more effectively to how to improve your relationship with your family and partner. This book covers all these subjects and more with one very simple piece of advice - go slower! Written using a combination of historical anecdotes, author experience and practical advice this is the only book you'll ever need to improve your quality of life and learn how to slow down in a world that is forever accelerating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better!, 24 Oct 2005
The book is forever giving examples of high-flying executives who fit in a slow meal or some slow exercise in order to cope with the constant stress of their high-pressure lifestyles. The author is at pains to point out that you can be in a high stress career and find the time to do slow stuff now and again - and that this will help you to keep your sanity. Slowness doesn't appear to be a lifestyle choice, more a quick fix in order to avoid burn-out. He makes it all sound like a fad that will die away when the fashion moves on and the trendies have got another buzzword.
The book does have its moments, though. The opening chapter is particularly good on the stupidity of the modern go-faster world and on his realisation that One-Minute Bedtime Stories for his kids are not the answer to his time-sickness.
Overall the book slightly misses the mark. Chill out Mr Honore.

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 3 April 2010
I started this book with high hopes - clearly too high, as what I found disappointed me. There are a few good general points about lifestyles and how they have changed over the centuries. A lot of the actual conclusions are quite salient, however where it falls down is on the specific subjects it deals with. The author approaches everything with a "wow, isn't this cool" attitude, as if everything were the latest fad to "get into" before it goes out of fashion. One example he gives of people slowing down is "[women] in their Ralph Lauren jackets and Prada shoes, knitting up a storm on the subway or in the big, comfy chairs at Starbucks". Somehow I don't think the emphasis in that sentence is on the knitting... What must also be said is that the book is written firmly from a upper-middle-class perspective, particularly in the chapter about schooling ("Since the local state primaries were below par, they began touring private schools in the area"), so don't expect too many of the examples to apply to you unless you're from that demographic. Altogether, good for a (very) brief perusal, but don't expect any depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Read, 4 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This book is the voice of sanity in an increasing insane world. It challenges the cult of speed and shows that it does not deliver quality of life. Infact the opposite. It gives inspiring case studies of people and organisations who have slowed down and reaped real benefits. It is a very wide ranging book that examines transport, food, health and even sex to name but a few things. I found that I could not put this book down, it is well written and would recommend it to anyone who thinks that there has to be more to life.

4.0 out of 5 stars consideration of the speed in which we do things, 8 Jun 2006
Carl Honore's "In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement Is Challenging the Cult of Speed" does pretty much what it says on the tin, discussing how to introduce consideration of the speed in which we do things to most aspects of life. It's an enjoyable read, and while I don't feel I need most of its message -I'm fairly well up on taking things as slowly as they deserve- I got some new ideas. I've played with some of the suggestions, and it's certainly been interesting - my urge to multi-task, for example, which asserts itself constantly irrespective of how inadequate I may be at it, can be quelled enough for me to enjoy just doing one thing. This requires much concentration, but it's nice to find out that I -can- do it if necessary. My favourite quote from the book is Einstein's not Honore's: "Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant."

In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed