5.0 out of 5 stars Rebus Rules OK!
Published on 22 April 2009 by P from GS

2.0 out of 5 stars REBUS
I chose an Ian Rankin novel because I had enjoyed all the Peter Robinson 'Inspector Banks' series. I thought it would be similar albeit set in Scotland. I was however disappointed. I chose the Three Great Novels as I thought I would start with some of his early works. However, the book was heavy not only in weight but in content. One novel in one book would have been...
Published on 7 Feb. 2009 by Judy Dsenis-constantine

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebus Rules OK!, 22 April 2009
P from GS (Great Sutton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus (Paperback)
Someone told me that Ian Rankin's Rebus novels were much better read than watched on TV and they were right! I bought this three-in-one and read the first story - Let it Bleed - in a couple of days. I am now in the middle of the second one - Black and Blue - and have slowed down a bit because I want to savour the story and make the whole experience last a bit longer. The only downside is the size and weight of the book - it's nearly ended up in the bath a couple of times!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rankin brings Edinburgh's underbelly to life, 13 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus (Paperback)
Ian Rankin tells a right good yarn! Although he admits to having never set foot inside a Police Station and therefore some of his procedural stuff is offside, his central character, DI John Rebus gives Rankin the vehicle to explore different emotions and morals. Each of the three novels in this compendium, has Edinburgh and its criminal underbelly at the core but with a different moral twist as seen through the eyes of that dedicated, work centred, CID cop.
Well worth a visit and with this series, well worth packing into your suitcase for the holidays!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebus Takes on the "Man", 11 May 2011
Let it Bleed:
This is only the second Rebus novel I have read. Whilst I enjoyed it I'd have to say that towards the middle the politics kind of turned me off just a little. Not enough to stop me reading, it was just a bit too political for my own personal taste but then I'd be the first to admit to my own ignorance of Scottish politics. However, the book redeemed itself with Rebus's machinations towards the end. On the whole a very enjoyable read.

Black and Blue:
Detective Inspector John Rebus once more finds his back against the wall. He juggles four cases in the hope of nailing the infamous serial killer Bible John. As if that's not enough he finds himself subject to an internal inquiry headed by a man he has just accused of being of taking back handers from Glasgow's Mr Big - Uncle Joe. Rebus must fight for his job and his very life. Add in bent cops, environmental protestors, gangsters and you have Rankin on his finest form. Rebus's obsessive terrier like tenacity is really highlighted in Black and Blue as are all of his flaws as he battles not only his obsession but also his addictions.

I know it's a cliché but once I started reading this book I almost could not put it down. I've read a few of Rankin's novels now and Rebus only becomes a more compelling character the more I read of him. Rankin has that rare skill of blending multiple plot lines without ever confusing the reader. A thoroughly enjoyable read that has left me clamouring for the next Rebus novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A canny read, 17 Dec. 2014
I have just discovered Ian Rankin and am working my way through his "Rebus" books and have to say the character is captivating.
It's good to read about the "real" Edinburgh and not the "twee tourists side". Coming from Newcastle, I could identify with the working class areas and some of the characters, they appear in every city in Great Britain. His use of the dialect is spot on and the humour of the Scots is used throughout.
I really enjoy his works and can only say this was one of the books that I simply couldn't put down one I'd started it. Black and Blue became slightly tedious towards the end but I persevered and am looking forward to more of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rankin Just gets better and better, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus (Paperback)
A stunning compulsive read, Rankin's observations, cutting humour and vivid descriptions of low and high life in Edinburgh are just a pleasure
This author just gets better and better

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 28 April 2013
D. A. Cannon "dodo" (west cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent books.
As I have been watching Rebus with Ken Stott for years on the TV, I felt I just had to read these books. They are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scottish genius!, 11 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus (Paperback)
How can anyone not enjoy Rebus? The writing is excellent, knowledge of Edinburgh and surrounds detailed, and the characters are so well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value multi-novel book, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus (Paperback)
Good value for 3 novels. Particularly enjoyed the final story, The Hanging Garden and its moral speculations around complicity, responsibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Books, 2 April 2011
This review is from: Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus (Paperback)
Once again 3 superb novels by Ian Rankin in the "Rebus" series. His way of depicting detective work in the real world takes some beating.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a product, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus (Paperback)
Excellent writer. Love his work. Where could you get better value for money?. Nowhere. Read that again to make up the word quantity.

Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus
Ian Rankin: Three Great Novels: Rebus by Ian Rankin (Paperback - 20 Nov. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01