5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for "Veggies"
Published on 8 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all your stereotypical cranks
Published on 13 May 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for "Veggies", 8 May 2002
By A Customer
This is a recipe book that will not be gathering dust at the back of my bookshelf. Instead it will end up dog eared and stained and proud of it -just as any decent cook book worth its salt should be. This book makes a mouthwatering read and has beautiful photography. The recipes are not the usual, they work and whats more there are lots of them. Enough to keep the keen and eager vegetarian cook busy for a long time. I am no 'hardcore' vegetarian (and my family certainly are not) but I do prefer vegetarian food and am keen on cooking with fresh and seasonal food. This book is great for cooks who are feeling a little jaded - it has lots of new ideas. My family have loved everything from the book so far and that is why I am happy to make this recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely reliable, 16 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Cranks Bible: A Timeless Collection of Vegetarian Recipes (Paperback)
This is a wonderful collection of easy to prepare vegetarian dishes that taste amazing. Nadine Abensur transforms simple vegetables like potatoes and spinach into something heavenly. This is what vegetarian food is all about ... dishes that make you want to make them again and again and again. Some of my favourites are the beetroot risotto, spinach soup, asparagus and cep tart, and the celeriac and porcini gratin. I love this book because all the dishes I have tried are lovely and if you're cooking for someone else you can be guaranteed that whatever you choose to make from this book will impress your guest without fail. Gone are the days of boring, bland veggie food; Nadine Abensur's book changes the taste of lentils, tofu and cabbage to something spectacular and special.

What makes it special is not just the amazing variety of recipes; it really is a truly global melting pot of the best French, Italian, Russian, Moroccan, Indian, American, and Japanese cookery. But it is Nadine's passion for good cuisine that stands out. This is food writing at its best. The sensual language and succulent photographs make this a book to savour and enjoy even if you don't have time to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm! Gorgeous!, 8 Jan 2010
Miss Scarlet (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Nadine has done it again! I just received this wonderful book as a Christmas present and have been glued to it!- I have cooked several recipes from it and all are delicious! Why isn't this brilliant and passionate food writer given more credit? Her recipes are varied, balanced, soulful, exciting and always tasty. The writing is clear and full of anecdotal musings and careful tips. I have cooked more successful meals from Nadine's books than I ever have from a Delia or Nigella book. I am always excited to try a new Cranks recipe and I have to say- make the Mushroom Wellington! It's divine and even heats up well the next day! :) Mmm!I am a born and raised vegetarian and this is by far the best cookbook I have come across. This and her 'Cranks Fast Food' book, which I love to dog-eared bits! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The cookbook I never leave home without!, 2 Dec 2002
By A Customer
Nadine writes unabashedly sexy recipes! This is one of my favorite cook books of all time, along with Cranks Fast Food. My father said of Nadine's chermoula, "this is a life-affirming sauce"! I think that all of Nadine's recipes are life affirming. I just made her Irish Soda Bread last night, and it was delicious. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in expanding their culinary repetoire.
One of my favorite recipes in the book is the one for Celeriac "boullaibaise" (did I spell that right?): it takes some prep work, but it's worth it!
I've read the book probably 3 times through from cover to cover-- the pictures are gorgeous and her descriptions are charming and funny. If you want a book to get you inspired about cooking with less meat, or to get you inspired about cooking mediterranean/middle eastern/north african cuisine, without the intimidation factor, I highly recommend Cranks' Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Feb 2004
By A Customer
Nadine Abensur is a genius. I love this book and have read it from cover to cover several times. I also use it all the time. Every recipie I have tried has worked and even ones that seem a bit strange taste divine. I would say it is more for the advanced cook but Nadine's passion and enthusiasm for cooking and food in totally infectious.
A must for everyone, vegetarian or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever Lemon Drizzle Cake, 21 Jun 2009
C. Maloney (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is far from perfect, as am I, too much talk and not enough recipes! However, I must give 5 stars for the amazing lemon drizzle cake. The best cake I have ever made. This recipe is far superior to anything that I have bought from from M&S, Starbucks, Pret, etc. The book was well worth buying for this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, colourful and nutritious, 19 April 2010
A lifelong veggie until recent meat cravings have swayed me to the 'dark side', I would be lost without the Cranks Bible. Everything about this recipe book makes it accessible for all. The beautiful photos and mouth watering descriptions, alongside interesting facts about the meals and vegetables you are using, raise this book far above other veggie and indeed, Cranks' books. My partner, who loves his meat, has also fallen in love with this book and often, we will add a meat element to these meals. However, they are more than delicious on their own. What makes it even better is that you can relax knowing that you are getting all of the nutrients you need, without sacrificing taste or culinary experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on the menu, 3 Oct 2014
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I used to use this book a lot (I bought the original paperback edition published in 2001) but somehow it ended up at the back of the bookcase until I recently pulled it out again and remembered how wonderful it had been.

Occasionally I find that the layout is a bit awkward, with a recipe spread over several pages. Also, I would prefer it if the preparation was split into identifiable stages - the method is divided into un-numbered paragraphs, with no line breaks, so it is difficult sometimes to find the next section. One example of this is the Mushroom Wellington but it tastes so good that I can forgive the impracticality of the layout. There is an update on the classic Cranks homity pie - much lighter and less 'worthy' than the original.

Other old favourites are the carrot tarts with a walnut pastry; chick pea salad with grilled halloumi; a fantastic celeriac soup with saffron, orange peel and fennel seeds; cauliflower & corn chowder; mushroom ragout with vermouth; a really quick laksa; pumpkin noodles with coconut milk, lemongrass & lime (again very quick); barley risotto with red wine; and tomato risotto. Desserts are based around fruit & nuts such as roasted plums with orange water & a crystallised ginger crème fraiche or a delicious mango cake, but there is an excellent chocolate mousse cake and a chocolate tart with crystallised ginger among others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not at all 'Cranky', 27 Oct 2009
Mrs. Barbara J. Hanson (U.K.) - See all my reviews
Well written,interesting and mouth watering selection of vegetarian recepies for all who enjoy eating and preparing good food. Not perhaps the best book for inexperienced cooks as Nadine assumes a little prior knowledge. She encourages one to experiment with different flavours and tastes.
Her recipes are often for 8-10 persons, so need to be scaled down, however, I am very happy to have this book as another in my 'bible' selection.

Barbara....love vegie. food, but also need a good piece of beef every so often!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all your stereotypical cranks, 13 May 2003
By A Customer
Some excellent and easy recipes. Still a lot of the typical old wholesome cranks style recipes but then again it is a cranks book. Aesthetically pleasing however my biggest criticism is probably the fact that recipes are not always set out across the open pages and you have to turn the page mid-way through, not ideal in the kitchen. But generally good with some interesting stuff.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Cranks Bible: A Timeless Collection of Vegetarian Recipes
The Cranks Bible: A Timeless Collection of Vegetarian Recipes by Nadine Abensur (Paperback - 6 May 2004)
Used & New from: £5.21