5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker
Published on 21 Oct 2003 by Jessica

3.0 out of 5 stars Soppy Romance.
Yes, a soppy romance, which maybe at my age I should have grown out of? No I still sometimes like to read a novel that I do not have to think about at all, but just relax and enjoy.

Published on 8 Jun 2007 by LindyLouMac

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker, 21 Oct 2003
Jessica (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradise House (Hardcover)
I read this book in 2 days, not because it was short (it wasn't) but because I could not put it down. The characters were three-dimensional, and I really cared what happened to all of them. Moreover, Erica James dealt with the difficult subject of disability (deafness and dyslexia) in such a sensitive manner, creating a real empathy with the main characters, enabling us to see beyond a disability to the person within. Where some less talented authors would pigeonhole and create a character around a disability, she rises above this, and gives us a perspective that we take out into our everyday lives. She did much the same in 'A Sense of Belonging' when one of the characters, Josh, suffered from Multiple Sclerosis. I actually started donating to the MS Society after reading that book directly as a result of the insight she gave me into the condition.
But enough of that, as it isn't the main thrust of the book. The location is described in such a vivid manner that you feel you are reading the book there. The interplay of characters is very real, and varied, and you find that the pages keep turning because when it comes to a choice of carrying on reading or getting some sleep, NOT finding out what happens next is worse than the alarm ringing two hours after you dragged yourself away from the book. And I speak from experience.
I recommend this book to everyone who has read her other work, and to most people who haven't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Soppy Romance., 8 Jun 2007
LindyLouMac (Wales and Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradise House (Paperback)

This is another book that hops from one time to another. I seem to have read a few using this technique recently, so supposedly the authors feel it is a good way of filling us in.

This is a pleasant summer read, all the action takes place in the traditional seaside resort of Angel Sands. in the present Genevieve(early 30's)is running her parents B and B 'Paradise House' and the flash backs are to her teen years and 'first love'. Of course things went wrong then and by coincidence the 'first love' walks back into her life.

Soppy yes but still worth reading if it is the sort of book that normally appeals to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing story!, 6 Mar 2004
This review is from: Paradise House (Hardcover)
I recently read this book while on vacation, and it was the perfect way to relax! The story was compeling and the characters funny and believable! I especially loved the way Ms. James moved back and forth from past to present, to help us understand the characters connections! I have read just about every book by this author, and am NEVER disappointed! Can't wait for the next! Well done Ms. James!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance!, 4 Jan 2004
This review is from: Paradise House (Hardcover)
Im not very good at reviewing books I can never seem to convey how I feel in a proper way but here goes... I have read all of Erica James's previous books and I love her work and this book is no exception. I loved every word, it made me laugh and cry. I truly did not want this book to end, it keeps you guessing until the end. I recommended this book to everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars You never forget your first love, 15 Aug 2012
Mrs. L. J. Philipson "booklover" (cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradise House (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this novel and read it very quickly. Basically story of Genevieve who falls for Christian, her first love, when she is a teenager but he breaks her heart by betraying her with her best friend. Years later, she is reunited with him when he arrives in Angel Sands, her home town, to renovate a barn. Do you ever get over your first love? The book primarily centres on this but also has subplots involving Genevieve's family; namely her 2 sisters and parents. This is a book about love and what it means to be loved. It is about how families can sometimes be pulled apart from circumstances and the pressures of family life but how they are there for each other in the difficult times.

This was a light, feelgood read and the writing flowed well. I would recommend this as a holiday read or just for pure escapism.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 2 Aug 2005
This review is from: Paradise House (Paperback)
'Paradise House' is a story about English village life, this book goes through the emotions of humour and sadness and also chucks in a bit of romance, this book draws you into the lives of the characters and shows the humour of a typical dysfunctional family. 'Paradise House' is very entertaining to read with a realistic insight into love's disappointments and triumphs. Well worth a read for people of any age who enjoy a good romance novel with humour.

1.0 out of 5 stars let down, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Paradise House (Kindle Edition)
This was a Very disappointing end expected more from this author cannot say I enjoyed this at all hope the next one isn't this bad

4.0 out of 5 stars Paradise house, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Paradise House (Kindle Edition)
Very readable, well up to her usual standard. Looking forward to Eric's James' next novel. Recommend these to all who like a good story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Holiday read, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Paradise House (Kindle Edition)
Not a bad simple book with one or two interesting plots....a holiday read that does not tax the grey matter

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Paradise House (Kindle Edition)
Erica James has a talent for introducing individual characters, and then gradually entwining their lives around each other.
Again tackling sensitive subjects with great care, Good easy read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Paradise House
Paradise House by Erica James (Paperback - 17 Jun 2004)
6.67