5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!
Scenario...you are on holiday to California, from London Heathrow, and your literary resources are exhausted! What do you do?
Buy this of course! It's awesome!!! I'd never heard of Robert Ludlum before this, so I wrote it off as another boring novel produced by some obscure author, as soonas my dad handed over the money.
I think that two thankyous are in...
Published on 26 Nov 2002 by T. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Going downhill
I've just read Bourne 1 and followed it up soon after with 2.....which I found quite tedious going from about halfway through. This is more of the same as book 1 and the character's superhuman ability to take out any number of baddies, regardless of their weapon of choice, starts to stretch your credulity after a while.

I also like this one less because of the...
Published 8 months ago by Galning

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, 26 Nov 2002
T. Richards (Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Bourne Supremacy (Hardcover)
I think that two thankyous are in order - one to my dad for buying me the book in the first place, and two, to Robert Ludlum for writing this engrossing masterpeice!
If you're a fan of Tom Clancy, you won't be dissapointed! Being a teenager, who plays lots of PC games, you could probably imagine it. I'm one of those that loves stories to do with assassination, complicated political plots, and plenty of action! Robert Ludlum is so descriptive about what goes on when David Webb's wife, Marie, is kidnapped in Hong Kong. Being an assassin, he must fight to find out where his wife is, and who brutally murdered the Chinese Vice-Premier in a Kowloon restaurant!
The book is well written, and I wished that I had read its prequel, The Bourne Identity, which is now a very good film.
If action, politics and conspiracies are your thing, then this is a definite addition to your christmas wish list. I, for one, am adding the other two books, before and after, to mine, and the chances are, that i'll end up getiing a whole lot more of Robert Ludlum's books.
For all of the Tom Clancy fans out there, this is guaranteed to impress you, as well as many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down the best spy thriller ever written, 16 Aug 2012
Robert Ludlum's classic trilogy of novels about the legendary spy Jason Bourne and the Matt Damon films adapted from them stand slightly independent of each other. Ludlum started writing them in 1980 with Vietnam still fresh in the memory and the cold war still frostily raging. The films wisely updated the details to the twenty-first century, but retained Bourne's lethal nature and fractured memory, as well as the breathless intensity of the novels. The Bourne Identity novel and film still have relatively similar plot lines; by comparison, the novel and film of The Bourne Supremacy are totally different stories. This adds to the pleasure if you're a fan of the films trying out the books - you are in for no end of surprises, and a hell of a lot of thrills and entertainment.

It is the mid 1980s and after the events of The Bourne Identity, the man who was Jason Bourne is living under his real name of David Webb, in quiet anonymity with a job at a university. He is gradually healing from the mental and physical trauma of the past and married to Marie, the woman he met in the course of the first novel. We know that he was a highly dangerous covert operative during Vietnam, and later adopted the role of Jason Bourne to counter the lethal enemy assassin Carlos The Jackal (the real version of whom was still at large when this book was released). In the background, The People's Republic of China is making its first moves to secure control of the capitalist markets of Hong Kong, under the camouflage of its Communist regime. And a man posing as Jason Bourne is carrying out daring assassinations in Asia, where Bourne was first seen and is still feared. Bourne's wife Marie is kidnapped, the Chinese authorities are involved in some kind of murky business, and the US intelligence community - someone the "real" Bourne still hates and distrusts - want him back to fight the dangerous forces emerging in the east. To get Marie back, David Webb will do anything, even risk his own life and sanity by becoming Jason Bourne again.

This kicks off an extremly complex, not to say convoluted story of spies, counter spies and global power struggles, conducted by very violent people. Bourne goes to Hong Kong, Macao, the Chinese mainland and beyond and is even more of a force of nature than you'll remember from the films. What's striking about this novel, as with much of Ludlum's work, is the sheer pace and ferocity of the book. He skilfully keeps the massively complicated story under control, while propelling the reader relentlessly on a rollercoaster of action and danger. Bourne is on the ragged edge at all times, his enemies completely ruthless. The character of Marie is also much better than that in the films, a woman of genuine substance and depth.

No one does this better than Robert Ludlum. This novel is a real white-knuckle ride, alternating between unbearable tension and thrilling action, international intrigue and personal struggle. It reads like the newspaper headlines you'll never get to read, because the world's intelligence people are terrified of the truth getting out. It's not very often you read a novel that provides the same visceral response as the best action films while still giving you a great story to get your teeth into. This is one of the very few that pull it off this brilliantly. The Bourne Supremacy has been voted the best spy thriller of all time, and it thoroughly deserves that title.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 17 July 2013
The Bourne series was first seen as a film version but having now read the first two novels in the series I find that there is so much more to enjoy in reading the full story and using my own imagination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great books, 22 May 2013
This is a great book that carries on the brilliant story of Jason Bourne. I am a big fan of these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 5 Dec 2012
A truly gripping read filled with action and intrigue. Robert Ludlum makes you feel as though you are actually there witnessing the story as it unfolds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bourne to be riled, 5 Nov 2012
When I picked up my copy of 'The Bourne Supremacy' I was surprised to learn it was written back in the 80s. I suppose I assumed it was more contemporary based on the namesake films but if I was worried the story had dated, well I soon got over that. The action kicks off from the very start and scarcely lets up, but Ludlum doesn't skimp on detail where it supports the narrative. There's plenty of humour too, and the book fairly raced along. The plot is simple enough to be accessible without too much head scratching over who and why, and although the secondary characters being their lives thinly written, there's time as the story unfolds to flesh them out a tad. If you can suspend your disbelief and lose yourself in the action you will enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 11 Aug 2004
T. Crease (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bourne Supremacy (Paperback)
The Bourne Supremacy continues in the rich vein of high quality international espionage/spy/thriller stories of which Robert Ludlum is a master. Its prequel, the Bourne Identity, was sheer class and introduced us to the delightfully intricate and complex character of Jason Bourne, and the Bourne Supremacy continues where that left off.
Just as with its prequel, this is page turning, high octane, explosive stuff, which you simply can't put down. As other reviewers have mentioned, get all three in the Bourne trilogy, take some time off work and get read for the ride - buy them all, as they are all superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 23 Feb 2014
Mr. PE Scrivens (Alsager UK) - See all my reviews
A must have if you are into the character. Having seen and thoroughly enjoyed the film(s), I thought I would try the books and excellent is the only way to describe these, they draw you in and you become the character

3.0 out of 5 stars Going downhill, 23 Nov 2013

I also like this one less because of the way David Webb was treated by his Govt. I won't go into plot details but if there's a %age of truth in the way these diplomats behave...then we should all be concerned. I found it hard to tell how much was fiction and where reality started. I know it's meant to be entertainment....but it wasn't grabbing me.

I also found, once again, there were times when I'd no idea who a new character was who'd just entered the chapter. While I have to take my hat off to the author for the vast amount of research he must have done - it's all a bit much by the time you get to book 2.

And it puzzles me the way the characters use "Good Christ". I've never heard anyone use that combo....it threw me every time I read it as it just seemed to jar. I think I'm being pick now.

I've got book 3 to start - but I'm not fancying it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of intrigue to the end, 9 Nov 2013
This is the second book in the Bourne series. If you've watched the films, then forget them. The films are good in their own right but they are nothing like the books, and this second book is a well crafted story that swirls you along on an impossibly possible adventure. Scary and violent in places but the violence is never overblown or dwelt on. The basic storyline keeps you on tenterhooks to the very end. I'm not normally a spy/secret agent fan (I've read two Bond books) but this is well written and deeply realistic.

The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum (Paperback - 6 May 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01