4.0 out of 5 stars Festive short stories
This is a boook of seasonal SHORT STORIES. I emphasise this because it is not all that clear from the cover.

I selected this book as a holiday read and after the first six 'chapters' wondered why the characters never seemed to meet up! Doh! Maybe I had too much wine.

Published on 18 Sep 2008 by Sue at home

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.
A few years ago I bought "The return journey and other stories" by Maeve Binchey. The stories featured in it had been published previously in America and Australia.
I wish I had noticed that the same stories were also the ones in "This year it will be different". Yes, there are a couple which weren't in "The return journey", but not many.
I am disappointed in...
Published on 29 Sep 2007 by Susanne Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 29 Sep 2007
Susanne Anderson "susanneofgreengables" (Ayrshire, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
I am disappointed in the fact that nowhere in the book does it say that this is a reprint, nor is "The return journey and other stories" mentioned in her bibliography.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 16 Oct 2007
L. Marshall (scotland) - See all my reviews
Maeve Binchy is relying on her previous great reputation to sell this book - and her last one. Gone are the interesting plots and what we have are simplistic stories with a very repetative theme some of which were written over twenty years ago. Don't waste your money on buying this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Festive short stories, 18 Sep 2008
Sue at home (Cheshire. uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Anyway, after my initial misunderstanding, I found this a surprisingly enjoyable read. The stories are all based on characters who, due to their particular circumstances, are not quite living out the christmas dream sold to us by the television advertisments.

This is easy reading for sure. I think it would be a great book to dip into over the holiday period when you fancy a break from the constant social whirl, endless eating and drinking and family overload!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rip-off!, 10 Dec 2007
Margaret Clark "Eurocrat" (Kings Lynn, UK) - See all my reviews
As an avid Maeve Binchy fan, I assumed that this was a new collection of short stories .... how wrong I was! I feel very let down that no mention was made on the dust cover that practically all these stories had already been published - and any fan would of course have read them. What a waste of money - and anticipation of new material!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, 6 Nov 2007
R. Green (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Have been a huge fan of Maeve Binchy for many years and thoroughly enjoyed all her books.....except this one. It is filled with short stories that are schmaltzy with put-upon characters that, amazingly have all their problems solved because of Christmas. it is a complete waste of money and wouldnt recommend it. I am very disappointed and feel ripped off. Buy something else!

1.0 out of 5 stars How sad, I won't be buying any more Maeve Binchy, 12 Nov 2007
Having been, as so many others have, a HUGE fan of Maeve Binchy up until her last few books, I have given her a last chance and she blew it. This book is trite, predictable nonsense. What a waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whats happened to Maeve?, 15 Oct 2007
Have been a huge MB fan since Light a Penny Candle but the last few books have been a big disappointment. This one was OK, easy reading but I felt it just didn't gel together in the end. Really disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the Meave Binchy i like., 15 Sep 2008
This is a book of short stories. It is a "pick up and put down" book,a book for the bedside, because you will never fall asleep before you finish a story, because some of them are very short. and you never loose where you are. I didn't enjoy it as much as her, for the want of a better word,---"proper books", but never the less still Meave Binchy style.

1.0 out of 5 stars I've already read this!!, 29 Dec 2007
H. L. Monahan "Heather" (Coventry UK) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers, I was really pleased to pick up this book in the January sales at a low price, but having settled down to read it, was completely confused as to how I already knew the stories! THIS IS NOT A NEW BOOK!! Am very disappointed and would say that the publishers, not Ms Binchey are to blame for re-hashing a load of average short stories under a different front cover to cash in on the Christmas market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 26 Dec 2007
I bought this and put it away for myself for Christmas. Settled down to read it and was utterly confused as to how I had already read a book that was only released a few months ago. Very disappointed and a rip off.

This Year It Will Be Different
This Year It Will Be Different by Maeve Binchy (Audio CD - 2 Mar 2005)
Used & New from: 2.39