5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for writing.........!
I discovered earlier this year that Maeve Binchy was writing another book and I was delighted!
Again, I had my partner camped outside the book shop on the day of publication and once he brought 'Quentins' home that was the last he saw of me for the next couple of days whilst I disappeared back into the world surrounding Tara Road!
I certainly wasn't disappointed...
Published on 31 Aug 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Intimate Glimpses into Stressed Families
If you have been reading Maeve Binchy's recent books, undoubtedly you remember power confrontations at the elegant restaurant, Quentins, in Dublin. Somehow, Brenda Brennan swoops in to save the day . . . and make everyone who has been harmed feel better. Naturally, there was bound to be a book that delves behind those scenes to tell us more about Brenda and her husband,...
Published on 15 July 2004 by Donald Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for writing.........!, 31 Aug 2002
This review is from: Quentins (Hardcover)
I certainly wasn't disappointed (well, only when the book ended!)
It was so easy to absorb myself back into Maeve Binchy's style and it was wonderful to catch up with some of the characters from previous novels.
Pull up a chair, make a pot of tea and settle down to a wonderful read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Binchy winner, 26 Sep 2002
This review is from: Quentins (Hardcover)
Quentins was a great surprise to me because I had heard that Scarlet Feather would be Ms Binchy's final book. I'm so glad that either I was misinformed or the author decided to surprise her fans with another book. I enjoyed this one very much and as she always does, Ms Binchy makes us care about the characters she creates. There are really very few contemporary authors that make the reader want to know what happens to the characters beyond the final page. What makes Quentins a particular delight is the reappearance of characters from Scarlet Feather, Tara Road and Evening Class. In spite of her likeability, I was prepared to become very cross with Ella, the main character in Quentins, but in the end, she does the right thing and made me want to stand and cheer her gumption. I've always preferred Ms. Binchy's earlier books set in the 50's - they seemed to have more depth and complexity than the later books, but in spite of that, I give Quentins five stars for an entertaining and very satisfying read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Maeve Binchy to date !, 30 Aug 2002
This review is from: Quentins (Hardcover)
What a fantastic book , I have enjoyed all Maeve Binchy previous novels but this is the best yet . It is based around a Dublin Restaurant and follows the life of Ella Brady who is making a film about the restaurant. The main story follows Ella , but the book also has mini stories of some of the staff , people who have eaten in the restaurant & friends & family of Ella. I could not put this book down & finished it in 2 days . If you want a book that makes you feelgood, smile & cry this is the one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 28 Aug 2002
LibraryLady (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quentins (Hardcover)
This new book from Maeve Binchy is a welcome surprise, since "Scarlet Feather" was said to be her last novel. "Quentins" focuses on a new character, Ella Brady, but revolves around the restaurant Quentins, which has appeared in her last 2-3 books. Ella is working to film a documentary on the legendary Dublin restaurant, and many previous Binchy characters (including Nora, Aiden, Brenda, and Patrick from "Evening Class," Ria from "Tara Road," Tom, Cathy, and the twins from "Scarlet Feather") make welcome appearances. The story revolving around Ella and her married boyfriend is less engaging than the stories told about Quentins. At times the construction of the novel seems a little loose, as if possibly the author had written a number of short stories and decided to combine them into a book; however, it is not confusing to read once you realize what she's doing. She still maintains her wonderful sense of humour, and many of the restaurant patrons' stories are touching.
I met Maeve Binchy several years ago after the release of "Evening Class." She was a warm and friendly person (just like her books!) and said that the ending to "Evening Class" was the only one of her endings that she was really pleased with. It seems as though her later books (written in present day as opposed to the 1950s as her previous novels were) have a more upbeat tone and a requisite happy ending. I prefer her earlier work, which has a little more of a dark side and an edge.
However, "Quentins" will hold your interest, and you'll be glad to sit down once again with another Maeve Binchy novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Binchy, 23 Aug 2002
This review is from: Quentins (Hardcover)
My husband had this book delivered to me this morning, it is now early evening and I have read this marvellous book from cover to cover,savouring each and every word. I finished the book only disappointed to realise that I couldn't actually make a dinner reservation at Quentins! For Maeve Binchy fans this book is a real treasure because as well as being introduced to a wealth of new characters you get glimpses into the ongoing lives of characters from previous books. For readers new to Binchy's work Quentin's is still an excellent read leaving the reader with the option to check out Scarlet Feather, Tara Road and Evening Class. Quentin's is like the coffee course of a fabulous meal which the three aforementioned books are the starter , main course and desert - it is the icing on the cake.I liked this book because the character's become real and cosy and Binchy offers short spin off stories within the main story - many threads of a magically woven web.
A delightful read but clear your diary as you won't be able to put this one down!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unexpected Bonus, 3 Sep 2002
Elinor Quinn "highmyope" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quentins (Hardcover)
I was sceptical about Maeve Binchy. I felt certain that her novels would be very slushy. I finally came to her via the television series "Echoes". To my surprise, my husband was watching it. When I attempted to pour scorn he pointed out that he spent a lot of his childhood holidays in Eire staying with an uncle. He knows far more about Ireland than I do, as I have only been there twice. Maeve Binchy knows whereof she writes. After watching that series I started reading the books. Maeve's characterisations are clever, acute and accurate - the only difference between her and other novelists is that she looks at the characters with a kinder, more tolerant eye. Even the most ridiculous people are dealt with in this way - there is a total absence of cruelty. I believed that "Scarlet Feather" was to be her last novel. I bought "Aches and Pains" and learned a great deal from it. Then, an e-mail came from Amazon about Quentins. I bought it and found that many old friends have been revisited and their lives are as absorbing as ever. I think that the author's great gift is that she imparts a sense of continuity -that these people's lives have gone on, that they have survived and made new lives. There is nothing soap-opera-ish about this, just a feeling of natural progression. There is also the feeling of wanting to give the sweet, likeable Ms Brady all the best advice about dealing with the caddish Richardson, all the while knowing that in her position one would have felt, and probably done, the same. Also, what a refreshing look at Ireland - now a more prosperous, interesting place. This, I am sure, is why I read Maeve Binchy - no heroes, no heroines, just people with all their good and bad points, just living their lives. Fascinating! I thoroughly recommend this unexpected addition to my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 24 Aug 2002
This review is from: Quentins (Hardcover)
Fans will love this and if you are a non-fan then why are you even looking here? Along the same vein as Tara Road and Evening Class, Quentin's is more enjoyable than the disappointing Scarlet Feather. However, is a bit short considering it feels as if there has been a long wait for it. A quick, easy, soppy read that is over much too quickly and leaves you either back to re-reading and old favourite or sighing in hope the next isn't too long in coming. What limits the rating to 4 rather than 5 stars is that perhaps the characters have become a bit too familiar, even the 'new' ones are regular Maeve Binchy Fare. I would love her to go back to the country and an earlier time, maybe, and leave off the Dubs for awhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quentins - I couldn't put it down!, 17 Feb 2003
This review is from: Quentins (Basic) (Hardcover)
If you are a Maeve Binchy fan and have read any of her previous books, this one is wonderful.
The story is gripping and has you sneeking another peek (when perhaps you shouldn't be) to see where the story is going!
It was made more enjoyable by "old friends" popping up throughout the story giving the reader the feeling of "belonging" as they already knew many of the characters history and circumstances.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it has so whet my appetite that it has got me going back to the bookstore looking for other Maeve Binchy novels that I may have missed along the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quentins, 15 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Quentins (Paperback)
Lovely ...... Maeve Binchey writes a wonderful novel that draws you deep into the lives of the unique characters.
She beautifully manages to cause them all to cross each others paths in such a subtle and sensitive way .
And all cleverly from the central hub of a resturant called Quentins.
She conjours up such detailed pictures in your mind that you often feel that you are a character with in the book.
I truelly enjoyed Maeve Binchey's style.........It's encouraged me to read some of her other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine, Sangria ... and Quentins, 30 Jun 2003
This review is from: Quentins (Paperback)
You can almost feel the sand between your toes as you turn the pages of Maeve Binchy's latest offering. It's a great holiday read as well as an excellent stress-reliever while finishing the last few chapters after returning home.
As ever, there are so many characters to meet that you feel that you have stepped into a whole new world, but these are mostly warm, welcoming characters whose acquaintance I was glad to make. Binchy also cleverly weaves old characters from previous novels into the story.
I did get a little impatient with some of the sub-plots, the background stories of the various diners at Quentins, but that was only because the main storyline was gripping and I couldn't wait to get back to it. I also found some of these background stories rather too whimsical and the overall tale perhaps a little naive to really hold serious water, but the book is an excellent piece of escapism and we could all do with a dose of that from time to time. The last chapter races to a truly feelgood ending which will nicely round off any sunshine holiday or rainy lunchbreak.
Thoroughly recommended.

Quentins
Quentins by Maeve Binchy (Paperback - 31 Mar 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01