4.0 out of 5 stars A life journey through the 1900's
Published on 6 Feb. 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars however this book was just so boring. There was too much going on all jammed ...
I absolutely adore Maureen Lee , however this book was just so boring . There was too much going on all jammed into one book. Very disappointing.
Published 1 month ago by AMD

4.0 out of 5 stars A life journey through the 1900's, 6 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
I loved this book, the general jist is that you follow the life of a lady called Ruby, you almost become a part of her family as you watch it grow and experience the happiness and heartache that they all face throughout the war and right up to the Millenium. By the end of the book you'll feel the family really exists and you'll be sorry to see the back of them. I have also read and enjoyed "Lights out Liverpool" by Maureen Lee and will certainly be reading other books by this author in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from what I expected but in a good way, 8 Dec. 2013
Leigh - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Paperback)
I think after reading the back of this book I thought the story would be more about the people who come to stay at this house and then go away again once they land on their feet, while the main character Ruby cares for them. It was completely different from that. I would almost describe this story as a fictionalized biography as we follow Ruby O'Hagan from before she is even born, until she is in her eighties. The story remains steadily focused on Ruby throughout but does branch off to focus on her children and eventually grandchildren but the main theme is Ruby and that she has turned the House by Princes Park into a safe haven for all her family to go to. All of the characters were incredibly written, I know there would be moments I would be furious with Ruby or one of the other girls, and then something would be said about them and I would suddenly realize that I was guilty of doing the same thing that character had done. No one here is perfect, not even close. There is a lot of character growth and development throughout the book, not just in Ruby but in everyone. I did enjoy this book, it was fairly light reading and after reading a book dealing with more serious content it was a welcome relief to enjoy a relaxing story of family and the ties that bind us all together. I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys family sagas or even enjoys reading about the history of the 1900's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The House by Princes Park, 3 Jun. 2009
P. E. Gadd (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Paperback)
A brilliant book - just what you would expect from Maureen Lee. I just didn't want to put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Nov. 2009
S. Perkins "Sharon booklover" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Paperback)
I love Maureen Lee books. I specially loved 'The old house on the corner' and believe I have read that more than any of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should come with a warning!!!, 17 May 2014
If you have things to do at home don't read this book! Once you do you will never be able to put it down. Maureen Lees's way of writing transports you into the story. I come from Merseyside and it was like being transported into my childhood. Her characters are so real you feel as though you know them personally. I'm gradually ploughing my way through all her books but have left some for when I am on holiday and resisting the urge to start another one is huge. Great read wonderful writer. Don't miss out on reading all her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 12 Aug. 2014
Lovely story, enjoyed reading every word. Quite a lot to learn how well one can live with very little money but such determination. One could feel the despair of so much tragedy and heartache, but there are some lovely warm parts that warrant mentioning regarding the family love and commitments. A lovely read, am glad I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 25 Jun. 2013
although an easy read,this is a great story,well written and i got into the story straight away. the story spans across three generations
and will miss the characters now that i have finished reading this book. you become part of their lives and i would recommend this book as a very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 26 Nov. 2012
A riveting read from beginning to end. Wonderful story telling I was captured from the first page and found this a difficult book to put down. I felt as if I was part of the amazing family that Ruby raised. A definite keep and read again novel. Will recommend to all my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book as again there is another strong character in Ruby throughout the book. The only comment I have is, at the end of the story there were a few too many names for me to contend with and I got a little bit lost with who was who, but an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars So sorry I've finished this book, 6 Jun. 2012
Having just finished reading Kitty and Her Sisters, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get in to this book so soon after finishing the last book, however, I read this in a week. Maureen Lee is one of my favourite authors and I can't decide what title to read next.

The House By Princes Park
The House By Princes Park by Maureen Lee (Paperback - 2 April 2009)