5.0 out of 5 stars Rankin and Rebus go from strength to strength
Having been drawn into the Inspector Rebus series through "Rebus: The Early Years", particularly "Knots & Crosses" and "Tooth & Nail", and the underrated "A Good Hanging and other stories", "Rebus: The St Leonard's Years" was an automatic purchase for me.
The three novels, "Strip Jack", "The...
Published on 7 Oct. 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books, but an improperly bound edition
Published 1 month ago by Bill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rankin and Rebus go from strength to strength, 7 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
The three novels, "Strip Jack", "The Black Book" and "Mortal Causes", improve on the previous books with only "Strip Jack" being a slight disappointment The other two are real page turners, as we follow Rebus in pursuit of the "truth" behind each case.
With each book Rankin seems to become ever more comfortable with Rebus as a character, and the complexity of the plot and the number of characters increases. Characters from the earlier books also make welcome reappearances, giving the series real continuity.
The strength of the series for me is the way Rankin dangles the clues in front of Rebus and the reader, making you want to solve the case yourself (I haven't done so since "Knots & Crosses"!) and keep reading. If the next 3 books in the series show the same improvement I can't wait to read them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely Hooked, 12 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Rebus: The St Leonard's Years, Three Great Novels: Strip Jack / The Black Book / Mortal Causes (Paperback)
Rebus is deeply addictive and grows more interesting with every book. I've worked my way through the more cut-and-dried novels of the Early Years and have just moved swiftly through these "Three Great Novels". For the moment I don't think I can easily envisage inhabiting any other world than this dour Scot's. I was much amused by the section in Strip Jack where he finds an old lady who keeps the phone box near her house as a miniature version of her own starched front parlour - a nice piece of human observation - if you are the nearest house to the phone box and it is ill kept it reflects badly upon you. The remote Scottish hamlet where my grandparents lived featured just such a phone box complete with busy-body crone who kept the directory in her house - you'd have to knock on her door and tell her the name you wanted and she would go and look it up and then give it too you on a wee scrap of paper. My mother always said she was a great loss to the intelligence services, although her surveillance was far from discreet. I wonder whether Rankin knows this same village or if it is a particular highland phenomenon. Great fun though, in a dricht and drear kind of way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent character and stories, 22 July 2008
This was my first exposure to Ian Rankin and to the Rebus character. I am a big fan of P.D. James and these stories are on a par.
From the off both the storylines and the Rebus character are developed in an interesting and sustained way. Each book gets better and more complex, with very good continuing arcs and strands.
I have since bough just about all Rankin's other books and am enjoying them immensely.
Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reading and great value for money, 2 Jan. 2008
Jenny PT (Tonbridge, kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
three terrific books which I thoroughly enjoyed. First time I ever read Rankin, but I think I shall read more. Humorous, with some terrible puns and lines which were a great contrast to the dark plot. First rate and the 3 books for just over a tenner is great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Great Books In One!, 3 April 2012
I bought this combi book after getting addicted to the Rebus novels and decided to buy one (albeit large) book to save money on 3 separate books and p&p. I am really glad I decided to go ahead with this option as not only did I save money, but as soon as I finished one novel, I could just turn the page over and start another!
The combi book is obviously larger than one novel but its not so large that it becomes too cumbersome - to be honest its roughly the size of one of the larger Harry Potter books!
Definitely worth buying if you are a Rebus fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three of Rankin's finest in one book, 6 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
Once again Rankin surpasses himself. Books four, five and six in one volume. Extremely good value for money (especially if you're Scottish!). Each tale twists and turns, whilst all the time leaving you wondering .... who dunnit. Reubus (and Rankin) never fail you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books, but an improperly bound edition, 8 Feb. 2015
These are wonderful books and I continue to love Rankin's work. There is a problem with the printing and binding of this particular volume however. The print is not centred on the page and is very close to the bound side of the page so that you will have to break the back of the book in order to comfortably see that side of the page. You can see the problem if you use the look inside section.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Book but Great Value, 1 Jun. 2012
I bought this books after reading one of Ian Rankings later Rebus novels. I decided I wanted to trysome of the early books and thought this looked like great value. I was right, the book is heavy as you would expect when getting three novels in one but all three novels were compelling and I have since purchased the next 6 in the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rebus, 11 Dec. 2013
Duncan Bush - See all my reviews
Ian Rankin is a highly-rated author of detective fiction, but his work is marred by a certain crassness of style and humour. Detectives often have to work in a rough environment, admittedly, but the vulgarity seems to me more one of authorial judgement than a matter of realism. Also, neither Rebus nor Rankin is as witty as they'd like.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 great novels, 27 Sept. 2013
GLYN AO DAVIES (London UK) - See all my reviews
An excelent buy of his early novels. Unfortunately I ordered at the same time 'the Lost Years' under the same title of three great novels, but I received TWO copies of the St Leonard Years and went on holiday immediately. Probably my confusion as well.
Glyn Davies