Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 17 December 2002
This is the story of how a wronged woman heals herself through a rekindled passion for baking bread. The author uses humour and light sarcasm in her characters to create a hilarious story of divorce and relationships. Interspersed with the novel there are a number of interesting hints on how to make the perfect bread which are so tempting I almost went to the oven to try them! This novel makes you hungry for more.
on 23 November 2002
I couldn't let this remain with just the first review as I don't think it does the book justice. Sure elements of this book fall into the classic chick lit genre. But Judi Hendricks is too good a writer for this to be all the book is. Yes, there are some expected elements, but it has a much greater depth. As someone who has lost their father, I was very moved by Wyn's relationship with her father and her difficulties in coping with his loss even though it was 15 years on. I loved the way Wyn used the different types of bread to help her through her emotional lows. And there was me thinking bread was just a loaf of something in plastic that you bought in a supermarket!!
on 11 August 2012
I really enjoyed this book, so much so I've read it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Initially, the main character seems to not have a great deal going for her - I certainly didn't expect to identify or have any empathy with her. She's the archetypal spoilt kept woman who's spent the majority of her adult life as a "homemaker" and "committee member", wearing designer clothes, having her hair and nails done and basically fulfilling her rich husband's every whim. Despite this, there is something rather likeable about Wynter Morrison and when the rich husband trades her in for a more glamorous model, she really comes into her own. Suddenly, she's swapped the perpetual sunshine of her previous Californian lifestyle for the more subtle mists and temperate climes of Seattle and settled into a routine of working nights in a bakery - and it's here that the novel really comes into its own. The descriptions of the bakery are powerfully evocative - you can almost smell the bread and feel the pleasure of splitting open a warm freshly baked loaf. The recipes which are skilfully interwoven with the story are equally tempting - I'm certainly going to give one or two a try. This is a sound solid story which is a real pleasure to read.
on 5 November 2010
This is a very nice, well thought out tale of a woman who regains her independance after a marriage break up.
You will find yourself rooting for Wynter as she tries to build a life on her own, and applauding her small triumphs. She is a very likeable character, and one that many people will relate to I imagine. I especially liked the descriptions of life from the view of a shift worker, being someone who works nights myself the joys and problems of going to bed when most are waking up certainly rang true!
on 10 November 2002
I bought the book at an airport. It was easy to 'get into'the story .It describes a married young woman, who one day finds herself locked out of her own house by her ( she thought) loving husband. She describes how she is forced to look at herself, the way she relates to her friends and also her mother and how she has to make a new life for herself.
Although you know from the start that she will make it, the story is very well told without to many cliches and with great sensitivity. There are also some good recipes for those who are interested in baking different kind of breads!
on 15 July 2001
This is the best book I have read so far in my life. And I wait in eager anticipation for Judi's next novel. I can only hope it is a follow up to "Bread Alone". This is the only book that I have read that I didn't want to come to an end. I just wanted to keep reading, to keep being part of the "players" lives, to know what destiny had in store for them. Up until now I have never enjoyed a books ending, but I guess that is because it is never really "the end". I should maybe be thankful for that, because it would be quite sad to think that a persons life and loves could only be caputured in a measly 337 pages. Thankfuly "Wyn's" life is a lot longer than that. Just like my own. And I would hope that the people to whom I have recommended this fantastic read to, all have lives that will go on and on and have as many adventures and "moments" as they wish and deserve.
on 5 March 2015
Lovely story. Wyn has learned to to rebuild her life again and to not depend on anyone bebut spouses or otherwise to make he happy. I'm hlad she found Mac who she affectionately called 'roadkill'.
I'm glade they gave us bread recipes cause I will be baking bread from non on :-))
@fona1978fiona.
on 29 November 2014
Really entertaining book. I enjoyed the story and learned you can freeze fairy cake mix!
on 9 March 2016
read paper back version a few years ago . so delighted its now in kindle format
on 8 February 2013
This is an excellent book. Very intricate, very compelling. The bread recipes (incidental yet as real as the next person) and experiences of baking in a French bakery are wonderful. You can really get behind this woman, as selfish as she may appear to some, because she is honest and so interesting.

I can thoroughly recommend the read, however, it doesn't pay to buy for Kindle, I got this book for coppers, from a real book shop!!

Sometimes, buying through kindle is just too expensive.