5.0 out of 5 stars thoght provoking and inspiring
Published on 2 Sept. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars The End
A Man Named Dave is the 3rd and final part of Dave Pelzer's story. The first two books detail Dave's life as a child suffering horrendous abuse and torture at the hands of his mother and his eventual journey through America's social care system. A Man Named Dave finishes the story by following Dave as he enlists in the U.S Air force as an adult and finally finds...
Published on 9 Oct. 2006 by Trackerlou

5.0 out of 5 stars thoght provoking and inspiring, 2 Sept. 2001
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Hardcover)
I read this book while on holiday this year and could not put it down it was hard to beleive that a person had endured so much pain in their life but still found it in them to forgive and go on with life. It is difficult to reveiw the book without saying just how much this person is an extraordinary human being. I cannot begin to say how much admiration I feel for Dave to go on and write so well about obviously very bad experiences, the way it reads is that all that happens to us good and bad is a learning experience, he has talent that comes from within and used this in his writing very well. All I can say is a very painful experience not enjoyable to read about but nonetheless im glad he wrote it and we can all share and learn from it. I can sum this book up by saying Dave proves that we are all wothwhile and whatever happens learn from it and give hope to others. I say this because it certainly makes me think more of life and whats in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life CAN Get Better!, 27 Jan. 2001
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Hardcover)
"A Man Named Dave" is such a fantastic book and a 'must read' following the previous two books, if only you wish to find out how Dave's life carries on. I was moved to tears reading about his father and the still ever-present bitterness of his mother. To rid yourself of the "ghosts" of your past is something that you have to fight at and it means having to come to terms with events that are too painful to remember, but Dave shows us that it CAN be done and is worth doing! Thankyou Dave Pelzer for sharing your life - you are an inspiration to those (like myself) who need a guiding hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most excellent inspiring book - final of the Trilogy, 24 Jun. 2001
E. A. Bill "annefasa" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Hardcover)
I have worked in youth work for the past 21 years and through extreme deprivation in North Belfast. This story has given me new inspiration to carry on helping the young people of this world find their direction. Dave is an example to us all. I now work with young people in the field of substance and alcohol abuse. Dave you have given me the motivation to go on and improve our services for young people. Thankyou for all the insight. This book is a must for people from all walks of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heart felt, all inspiring story by Dave Pelzer, 2 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Man Named Dave (Audio Cassette)
Having now read the trilogy I found this last book so inspiring. David Pelzer describes his adult life to you in such detail. He fought everyday with his past, being abused by his mother, the loss of his father, picked on at school, foster homes, his former wife, the lot but he still carried on and gave 100%.
If you want to be inspired READ THIS BOOK. It made me angry, it made me laugh, cry. It made me realise that life is too short. Like David states in the book, "if it don't kill you it can only make you stronger". His outlook on life and his survival tactics were remarkable. How he survived and stayed sane I do not know. An absolutely remarkable book. Dave Pelzer keep it coming! You are an inspiration ...

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read, 9 Nov. 2001
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Hardcover)
As a surviver of child abuse, I found Daves story very moving. Having read all 3 books , in quick succession I couldn't put them down. His courage and determination are an inspiration to everyone who has to live with the ghosts from their childhood. Like Dave I could forgive, however, not forget. I would like to congratulate him on his work and hope that, he continues to open doors for other survivors, who need to overcome the legacy of child abuse,and also encourage public awareness. A brave man who deserves to have found the happiness he now has, thankyou Dave for allowing me the privilage of reading about your experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Distressing, Heartbreaking and yet Inspirational!, 17 April 2001
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Hardcover)
Having read all of the 3 books about Dave Pelzer's life I can only say he leaves me in absolute awe of his courage, strength and ability to forgive. Dave had a childhood that most of us could not even begin to imagine and yet throughout his life he remains such a kind, courteous person wanting to help others. I had to keep reminding myself that this was a true story as I got lost in the sickeningly, horrific details of Dave's childhood. Dave you are truly an inspiration.
All 3 books are contagious, once started ... you can't put them down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 3 books are amazing. You can see the strenght in dave, 19 April 2001
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Paperback)
After being unable to put down 'A Child called it' and 'The lost boy' I could not wait to pick up 'The man named Dave' to see how he became the strength that I have seen so many times on the television. It was not disappointing. It was gripping to read how a young man that has been through so much can focus on the positives in his life. I am sure his son will reach every goal he wishes to in his life. The three books are now making their way round the family to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most insirational story of determination and courage, 23 Nov. 2001
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading the trilogy of Dave Pelzer. I found the books amazing and although Davids mother was completly mad and evil, the things she did to him where sick. I just couldn't put them down. Its been many years since a book has had this effect on me. Its truely an amazing story of courage and the determination to never give up no matter what happens to you in your life. No obstacle is to great to overcome. It makes you reaslise how lucky you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was compulsive reading, 21 Feb. 2001
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Hardcover)
Like the other two before - this was compulsive reading as well. I was so impressed by David's sense of morality and loyalty to his mother, father and Patsy and even to his publisher... He did try his best. His love for his son moved me to tears. He could so easily have become bitter and would have been justified to treat others with contempt!
I would have liked to have known more about his faith - his forgiveness of others is what is preached in the Gospel. Not forgiving those who have wronged you (and was he wronged against!) destroys you and not others.
However, I was left a little frustrated not to know more about his mother's background and why she behaved the way she did or why his father chose to ignore what was going on - what was in his background that made him this way. Perhaps David himself didn't know! It would be good for one of his brothers to write a book to get their views as well.
I wish David the very best with his quest for helping others - there must be thousands of children who are abused in the world and if these books awakens friends, neighbours, relatives of these children to the plight of these children and help them in any way it would be wonderful. As a leader of a young people's group I am grateful to be made aware of what could go wrong and what to look out for. I am grateful that I have not had to deal with a case like David but it has certainly made me more aware and I will be a better listener. Thank you David.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional read, 10 April 2005
This review is from: A Man Named Dave (Paperback)
After reading the first two Pelzer books i was glad to find that this one lived up to, if not bettered the other novels. Less concentrated on abuse, though still deeply saddening Pelzer's third novel is touching, heart-felt and extremely honest.
It looks at the adult life of a man chained to his past and tells how the chain of abuse can be broken. Readers will truelly feel for Pelzer as his struggles finally lead him to a better life. This book will leave you content child abuse can be overcome, and truelly happy for the man whose novels have bought millions of people close to him. A must read, truelly touching.
Tip: keep a supply of tissues close by.

A Man Named Dave
A Man Named Dave by Dave Pelzer (Paperback - 16 April 2009)