on 9 April 2012
I read this book in 2011 and I honestly didn't like it. It just couldn't keep me interested and it took me months to finally get round to finishing it (I have to finish a book if I start it)

I liked Charlotte but she was to depressing, yeah her husband died, but she didn't love love him anyway so why was she so guilty?

I spent most the time wishing Charlotte would lighten up a bit and tell her interfering sister to do one and wishing that she would hurry up and hook up with Alex.

I might read this book again one day, but right now it can sit with the rest of the books on my shelf of disappointment.
on 3 April 2012
This is the first Erica James novel i tried to finish. Sorry Erica but it bored me, too many nosey old people, a cottage, church etc was enough to make me look for another book to read. If i can't get into a book within the first few chapters i don't finish it. I had to force myself to read a bit more and i didn't even get half way through because this kind of novel lacks excitement and character. There wasn't anything special or surprising about any of the characters. A few unpleasant pages in there that i didn't like reading about either. Not my cup of tea at all.
on 19 June 2008
This book is "ok at best" if you want some mindless entertainment - just to read without having to think. But it is packed with a LOT of clichés. You can just see it's written for a market of unsatisfied, late 30 something women who want to believe that their dull lives will be transformed miraculously, and (of course) Prince Charming will just turn up next door and fall at their feet.

The characters are quite two dimensional. They slot into their unoriginal and predetermined roles very easily - the brash adulterer, the head-strong teenager, the workaholic husband, the obsessive PTA meeting wife and mum etc. etc. The main character wasn't developed enough either, she seemed quite content to while away her time in a small life and not build a new one for herself alone after her (workaholic) husband dies. The most unused and interesting character was the main character's best friend - a self-confident and sassy Italian woman, who could have blown the other characters away, if she didn't have only about five pages worth of plot in the whole story.

The outcome was predictable from reading the first page, and the rest of the plot offered no surprises. I was willing the author to give me something more, a twist to mean it wasn't just another middle aged woman's book. However, sadly, she didn't. I doubt I'll be reading this book again.

Imagine sitting in the sun with a glass of wine and reading something so you're occupied while your tan builds. Not something that will change the world, but will just occupy your mind enough for a few lazy hours.
on 19 November 2011
I have just started reading Erica James books and I love them. I am onto my 3rd one already. I don't live in the UK anymore and Cheshire was my home county so reading stories from home is great. Her writing just takes the reader into her world. I LOVE IT
on 3 August 2012
I have read several of Erica James book.. and loved them ..
so I was expecting to enjoy this..... to be honest I found it dull and boring
I couldnt relate to the characters in the book.. and didnt like many of them either..
I got to page 50 and quit...
if this is the first of her books that you read.. dont give up on her as she has wrote several good ones..
time for a change, a sense of belong.. parasdise house and its the little things..
on 14 May 2013
A lovely story of one persons wish to return to the village of her childhood, where her life takes on a change and new love.
This book was nicely predictable. The characters are nice enough and you know what to expect in this book. I read it really quickly and it's just another middle class feel good read. Like another review, this lacks something - I think this is because you know that it is going to end exactly as you think it will. It lacks a twist. The characters do seem a bit cliched really but this is the type of story the author seems to produce time and time again.
on 17 May 2013
My wife liked the book verymuch, Erica James again up to her usual high standard.

Recommend to other EJ fans.
on 29 March 2014
A light read, typical of this author. I enjoyed it as much as the others of hers I have read before.
on 24 May 2016
Cant understand some of negative reviews for this book on here ?? I thought it was fab. I have read quite a few of Erica James novels and this one I found to be more amusing and light hearted than some of her others ones, which get a bit heavy going sometimes ... i thought this book was fun and being quite short it only took me a few days to read it.