Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 August 2002
After the superb 'Two's Company' I was eager to read Sue Haasler's next book, but also apprehensive... Would this, could this book be the same excellent standard?
I needn't have worried! From the first page I was gripped by the plot and drawn in by the compelling cast of characters. The evocative past of our heroine's time at school is as beautifully depicted as her current life. And - oh! - how I lived that school reunion with the heroine; wondering, hoping, worrying that Gabriel/Gideon would turn up.
Can first love ever survive? Or be reciprocated?
In this jewel of a novel, Sue keeps us wondering all the way to the deeply satisfying conclusion.
on 11 August 2004
"Time After Time" is a novel for anyone who has ever stared at themselves in the mirror fretting about a wasted opportunity to say this or that in a particular situation, annoyed that one did not have that pithy comeback ready when it really mattered. It's for anyone who can relate to the desire to go back and do everything all over again. In her time-slip novel Ms Haasler takes the reader back to the 1980s so convincingly that it's like being there in person. Close your eyes and dance to Cyndi Lauper, The Clash and Eurythmics, let your fingers catch in back-combed hair, cringe with embarrassment over the ra-ra skirts and the batwing jumpers, sympathize with the uncertain youngsters behind the fashionably sullen faces and the panda makeup.
But "Time After Time" is more than a sensual journey back in time, it's a novel about timeless and universal issues. That first love, always special and the epitome of the naïve ideas one has about life. The disappointment which follows on discovering that life is more complicated than one imagined. The clarity which grows with age. The fantasy of what it would be like if one had the opportunity to solve the problems of one's youth with the knowledge and experience one has since acquired.
A modest and realistic story with genuine depth of emotion, "Time After Time" is romantic comedy at its best.
on 24 February 2003
I could read Time After Time again and again! It more than lived up to expectations following her delightful first book, Two's Company. Time After Time is warm and witty, filled with nostalgia, and brought back so many memories of school and old friendships. I am sure there is something of Cass, and her friends, in us all. Beautifully written, funny, full of charm and romance, I thoroughly recommend this to anyone. A must read book and perfect for curling up with on an indulgent night in! More please, Ms Haasler.
on 22 June 2003
I didn't grow up in the 80s, but I do obsess over them- especially musically, and especially those slabs of noise. I loved this book, and I never ever read romantic comedies. It was light, and sweet, and cute, and it made me nostalgic as all get out.
on 19 February 2003
Sue Haasler has the most amazing ability to write about people's everyday problems and emotions, and transform them into a entertaining, heart-warming story. She doesn't need melodramatic plots or OTT characters - instead, she turns simple, "real" people into fascinating characters that you want to spend time with. Her observations and comments about life in highschool and reunions had me constantly nodding my head in wry agreement and reminiscing about my own school days. I was enjoying this book so much I had to take it into the shower with me! Sue is a wonderful, talented writer and I'm really looking forward to her next book.
ps. have to admit, Sue's first book, "Two's Company", is still my favourite. The children's party scene is priceless!!
on 20 August 2002
I knew I'd enjoy this, as I loved Two's Company, but I have to say Sue Haasler has done even better with this one. The writing is so fresh, real and funny, and Gideon has star quality from his first entrance. I devoured it in one sitting. Sue Haasler has a totally unpretentious, uncliched style that is all her own. I devoured this in one sitting - where's the next?
on 7 February 2003
I thought this novel was cute. Set in London, Cass Thompson prepares for her fifteenth high school reunion and for the inevitable trip to Downtown Memory Lane. Even though she thought she was content with her career at an art museum and her relationship with a football-crazed boyfriend, Cass is forced to reassess her feelings and priorities, especially when she is faced with the prospect of reuniting with an old crush...
Time After Time is a cute and light read that will have you reminisce the times in which young love had begun. I liked the references to the eighties and the chapters named after songs from the aforementioned decade. This isn't the most literary work out there, but it makes for a fun and breezy read. Enjoy.
on 21 November 2002
With time after time, Sue Haasler delivers another touching and funny book. This one is all about first love and early loss, moving on and getting on. Haasler ties her chapters to 80's song titles and uses this device to show us Catherine (Cass) as she is now, and how she became that way. She came through loud and clear to me, and felt as if I understood exactly how she felt, during all the stages of her life that we see. Gideon, the perfect first love, is a bit tougher to understand. He's purposefully written as a bit of an enigma, but I found the young Gideon more "real" than the older one. I went back and re-read his reaction to Catherine's reappearance in his life and still found it disconcerting - even in view of his later explanation. And, after all her hard work to save the old house, I was a bit puzzled by what Catherine does in the end - but, I suppose it's all about doing what's best for her. Ultimately, it's an excellent yarn - a wonderful tale to lose yourself in.