on 15 July 2002
Mainly a very entertaining and enjoyable read. For the majority of the book, I flew through the pages with great unthusiasm. However, the predictability of the unrealistic ending caused me to feel a huge pang of disappointment. Let's face it ..... life is just not that easy!!!
To summarise, I loved Helen Dunne's Trixie Trader but this one just didn't do it for me! Maybe next time Helen!
on 9 August 2002
Orla begins life an over sensitive young woman with zero self image. She believes that she is unattractive and thinks everyone has it in for her. As she embarks on her own adventure, setting up a web site and taking responsibility for helping others through dieting hell, she begins to discover that she has many unlikely friends in places she had not before dared to look. Orla blossoms despite many mishaps - both amusing and disturbing - along the way. The ending is cheery, but I found the plot clever and surprising throughout and it made me laugh out loud more than once. A recommended read
on 14 August 2002
I wish the book had been longer since I devoured it in a sunny after noon at home. It gave me a warm feeling that the City could possibly be a friendlier place than it is. A great story line with enough realism in the description of the nasty City traders and colleagues to be plausible.
I just want to know if the author has actually met the male hero - so I know if I should keep looking? Does he exist?
Lets hope Helen writes a few more if these!
on 11 September 2008
Being asked to be a bridesmaid spurs Orla Kennedy to set up a website chatroom as a support group for 'larger ladies'. Things are going swimmingly until Orla is invited to appear on daytime TV - and is persuaded to let a stick-thin model be her double
on 25 November 2012
I hadn't read anything by this author before, but this had been on my wishlist for a while so I eventually got it out the library and finished it in less than a day! Really good read. Recommended.
on 7 February 2005
Orla Kennedy is a press officer in a City bank who has some problems with her weight, but with her best friend wedding coming up, she knows that she has to change things. With the help of a friend she decides launch a web site "Light as A Feather" to not only help herself but others as well. Ligh as a Feather takes off, Orla learns that people likes her idea, but they don't want Orla to be the one to tell world about it.
This was the first book from Helen Dunne that I read and I really like it. Ms. Dunne gives her character real emotions about what it means to be heavy in a thin world. Overall "Light as a Feather was a really great Chick-lit that should not be missed.
on 15 July 2002
I purchased 'light as a feather' after reading Dunne's excellent 'trixie trader', and although 'Light as a feather' is a good light hearted read, I don't feel it had the page turning qualities of 'trixie trader'. However Orla, the lead character is extremely loveable and you do find yourself as the reader really empathising and humouring her many dilemmas. Although as for how believable the story is, im not sure, but then again believability isn't really what you want from a good beach read.
on 15 August 2002
Although I loved Helen Dunne's first book, Trixie Trader, the eponymous heroine was difficult to empathise with - after all, she looked like Nicole Kidman. But LAAF's Orla is more human and therefore more lovable. And while Trixie was a great insight into the workings of the City, LAAF is far funnier. There are some genuine laughs here - it's ideal reading for when you are stuck at the airport this year with nothing but a highly calorific latte to keep you company.
on 13 May 2003
I enjoyed this book to a point. That being the ending... Until then it was believable and funny, I became involved in Orla's story and really cared whether she acheived her goals and became a success. However, I felt the ending was a bit predictable and was a little disappointed.
However, a good light read suitable to while away a few hours.
on 29 June 2006
If you're looking for an easy-going chicklit novel that doesn't demand too much, this one could well be the right choice to make. It's full of characters that most of us can recognise from our own lives and written in a way that has you caring about the main character's life and, to a point, the lives of those around her.

Unfortunately the story's let down by its lack of description of the city (we never really get a feel for where we are) and an unbelievable ending that, while unexpected, left me feeling that the author become tired of the story and decided to wind it up within a few pages without given any real thought as to whether the explanation would work. For me it didn't.

Still a decent beach read, though.