on 18 October 2000
This is definitely a good read overall and I recommend it to any MAN who's thinking about cheating on his wife. I recommend it to any WOMAN who's suffering at the hands of an errant husband. I also recommend it to anyone who's been through a divorce and can't work out what hit them: maybe this book contains all of the answers?
Of course, what we read about the marital difficulties of this couple is biased since it's told from the point of view of only one party: the woman. Nevertheless, it's a well told story.
Two sentences leapt out me as I read this book: one early and one late:
On page two, we read "There is a trollop in the air." I liked the imagery of that! There's lots like this, too.
I liked the twist of how dumped wife and trollop got together and got along and how the story ended for them. I also liked the whole tone of the story and the plotting and scheming and the friendships. The addition of a live in mother and her own character traits added some vigour to an otherwise strong plot.
What did get in the way of things for me was the textual problems that included
"I lead the way over to the lift. The elevator doors open and I walk in"!; and
"'No', Mother confirms, taking a packet of chocolate Hobnobs from her shopping bag, cutting the top with a sharp knife and putting one in her mouth." ... what went in her mouth, biscuit or knife!
If you're into Feng Shui, this book has something as a bonus for you too: a few snippets of the Feng Shui art thrown around here and there.
I was interested in the mobile phone speak that was new to me: to input the phone and to punch out. Eek, didn't like them!
A story written by a man in which all bar one of the central characters are women: it's done well and I am glad I read this book.
on 6 May 2012
As a Stephen King fan this book was way out there for me, to be honest is was a grey miserbable day when I saw this bright yellow book for sale, having read the back cover and feeling a small smile glance across my face I opened the front cover. I was still unaware that this had been written by man.

As I stepped into the first page I had no idea I was about to add a "chick lit" to my all time favourite reads.

Laugh, that is a total understatement and every time the hilarious retribution had me falling around like a cadbury smash robot my mind would pop up with the reminder, hey a bloke wrote this, poor guy must have suffered at the hand of a woman scorned, the intimate knowledge of how us women tick had to come from first hand experience.

Maybe this book should be released as a handbook for slighted women everywhere, if not then just buy it, read it, laugh and throughly enjoy every page turning moment.

I have bought this book over and over again as I keep lending it to everyone, it's the prefect holiday read, brilliant rainy day read, and even an uplifting gift for a mate who is down on her luck in the love life department.

If you don't believe me,buy it, read it and then correct me if you have not laughed out loud.
on 22 November 2000
The setting is sumptuous, the characters are educated and affluent professionals, the discovery of a lemon yellow bra comedic, and it all looks like a promising romp of a read.
But, then the main character, an otherwise sympathetic lawyer, goes off on a spree of destruction and violence that just tips way too far to be funny.
I have a couple of cats at home and was very upset when she left a cat in a carrier to die of heatstroke and then deals with its rotting corpse by stuffing it in a black plastic bag. She attempts several times to kill some tropical fish , succeeds with some, and then tosses them in a blender.
This is utterly dreadful. I couldn't bring myself to finish the book.
Maybe some people find this funny, but if you are as fond of your housepets as I am, it might be worthwhile to find something else to read over the hols.
on 9 March 2000
This is an absolutely fantastic tale of revenge, friendship and, of course, feng-shui. It is a gallop through the roller-coaster of emotions experienced by a scorned wife and, although full of sparkling wit and genuinely funny moments, it's not without its poignant side. If it weren't for the name Brian appearing on the front of the book and a picture of the author himself on the back cover, it would be difficult to guess that this book was written by a man. Brian Gallagher has effortlessly brought to life the hopes, dreams and feelings of the book's female narrator and has perfectly encapsulated the female psyche. All in all, a fantastic read and Brian Gallagher is, surely, a name to watch in the future. I just can't help worrying what his intentions are towards the fish though!
on 23 May 2001
I picked this up at the airport for a holiday read purely because the cover caught my eye. It's an enjoyable read, made all the more so having been written by a man. Good insight! Very laugh out loud funny in parts too and Julie isn't a completely likeable character, she has her flaws just like the rest of us. Found myself egging her on more and more in the pursuit of revenge and the pasta sauce scene was hilarious! The relationship Julie has with her Mum and best friend is totally believable too. The suspense leading up to Julie finally confronting her husband and the 'trollop' is the backbone of the novel, but I did find the long-awaited showdown a bit of a let-down. That aside, it's well worth a read. I'll definitely buy Gallagher's 2nd novel.
on 17 August 2000
I picked this book up and was intrigued by the story line. We are all fascinated by the concept of love, particularly when it turns sour. This is the basis of the book. Wife returns early, from health farm visit, and discovers from the presence of scattered lingerie, husband has been conducting an extra-marital while she has been away. Wife on discovering this decides to embark on a revenge campaign, using various tactics which includes taking her angst out on husband's car and befriending the mistress. Initially then ensuing events are compelling. However as the story continues to unfold , I felt that the plot could have been more realistic and shorter. The characters are vacant and the outcome of this sorry state of affairs is absurd.
on 4 January 2003
I received the book as a Christmas present from a friend who thought the synopsis was hilarious.
The book didn't disappoint, I couldn't put it down so much so that I read it within the space of one day.
Yes you feel for Julie and can visualise her pain and emotion. Yes you cringe at some of her actions.
Yes you hate Nicole and then begin to empathise with her.
Yes you're amazed (yet not surprised) at Ronan's betrayal.
And Yes you can't wait to reach the end of the book and find out what happens...
Can't wait to read the next book, hope it's as enthralling and exciting as the first.
And as for the friend that bought this for me, thanks mate, one of the best presents I got this year!!
on 29 October 2000
The book is actually quite good, I did laugh, I nearly cried and, for once, actually got whipped up by the suspense. I could hardly wait for the confrontation: the plot has certainly given me some new thoughts on revenge!!! The thing that troubles me is the complete lack of authenticity regarding the psyche of the characters. The author is so blatantly male, it worries me that there actually men out there that still think that women can't read a map...The characters are WAY too stereotypical... The dialogue between husband and wife and the relationship between husband and mother-in-law are straight out of really bad English t.v! Borrow this book one day and try to see past the points above.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2000
Yeah, very impressive. Brian Gallagher has taken not-so original idea of revenge on an adulterous husband and turned it into a very new and exciting tale of smash, bang wallop. I'm not so sure however how he wants his reader to react. After the third or fourth time Julie decides against confrontation I found myself getting more and more impatient. And when it does finally happen you are almost relieved that you got there, is that a good thing? I came close to throwing the damn thing across my living room, but I wouldn't want to damage my aquarium would I?
on 14 August 2015
This is one of the few books EVER that have had me rolling about the bed laughing until my sides hurt and tears rolled down my cheeks. My children all ran into the room curious as to what on earth was going on! I have an evil sense of humour and this book is definitely best enjoyed by any woman who's had a cheating ex. Very clever for a man to have written this story. If the "fish mousse" chapter doesn't have you crying with laughter, we definitely don't have the same sense of humour!