4.0 out of 5 stars Note perfect characterisation and dialogue
As with all of his novels, McMurtry has an uncanny ability to breathe life into his characters in a way that few authors can match. The story deals with the often strained relationship between mother and daughter, and the obstacles that life throws in their way. Always a pleasure to spend time in the company of Mr McMurty's people.
Published on 23 April 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Terms of Endearment/ The Evening Star
Published on 17 April 2012 by Lynron

4.0 out of 5 stars Note perfect characterisation and dialogue, 23 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Terms Of Endearment (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book., 3 Aug. 2009
Emile Zola reader "Gervaise" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Terms Of Endearment (Paperback)
I have never seen the film but I'm a big fan of Larry McMurtry's writing and would recommend all his books - his subject matter is so diverse. This book engaged me from the start and the relationship between mother and daughter shifts throughout the book as did my emotions reading it; one time and I'd be scathing of the mother and sorry for the daughter and later on I'd feel the opposite. Such is the power of McMurtry's writing that he gets right to the heart of his female characters. It's an easy read but one that will really test your emotions. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the book, 1 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Terms of Endearment (Paperback)
This is one of my faviorite books. I laugh alot and cried at the ending. I loved the characters. i could almost see Vernon living in his car. I liked the book better than the movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terms of Endearment/ The Evening Star, 17 April 2012
Terms of Endearment;- As the film is one of my all-time favourites, I looked forward to reading the book. Alas, what a disappointment! One of the great characters in the film,( Jack Nicholson's Lothario astronaut)doesn't exist in the book, and Aurora isn't half as endearing as the part played by Shirley Mclaine in the film. Whilest the book is well written, I'm afraid this is one instance where the film is far superior to the book! What I mean is that if I had read the book 1st, I wouldn't have bothered to watch the film, and would have missed a fantastic emotional rollercoaster of a movie with great performances from the whole cast.

The Evening Star;- I read the 2 books back to back, and was honestly glad when I'd finished "The Evening Star!" I became more unsympathetic towards Aurora as I waded my way through this long, boring tome about her self-absorbed life, friendships and love affairs. You have to be able to identify with fiction characters in order to enjoy reading about them, and this I obviously failed to do! Whether that's the writer's fault or mine I will leave to other readers to decide!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific writer, 29 Mar. 2013
I've been reading McMurtry for years, and each book I read reminds me what a remarkable writer he is. Great characters, unexpected situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars the audiotape is like a different movie!, 3 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I wish someone reviewed audiotapes of novels. I've been listening to the unabridged 10-tape version of the novel and am astonished at how the movie's focus (all that I was familiar with before) comes from the tenth tape -- up till then it's a comic novel about Aurora and her suitors! This is the ideal novel to assign for a film-writing class. Maybe it's a tear-jerker, and maybe the movie is about a tough mother-daughter relationship, but that's not what I heard on the audiotape. The accents on the audiotape also didn't match my memory of the movie. Lots of Dolly Parton type voices (which was entertaining) and the General sounds more like George C. Scott than like Jack Nicholson). Kind of like listening to a different movie to listen to the audiotape, and a very enjoyable experience. I drove around doing errands I hadn't planned to do, so I could keep listening.

Terms Of Endearment
Terms Of Endearment by Larry Mcmurtry (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2000)
Used & New from: £1.30