Format: PaperbackChange

on 16 March 2001
I read this book in two nights, I quite literally couldn't stop. The story is told by two women; Millie is an estate agent in the nineties. Flo is her great aunt born more than eighty years before. When Flo dies, Millie has to sort out her belongings. We then go back to Flo's story and read what a tragic and moving life she led. Millie finds clue's in Flo's papers that explain some of her own family secrets. I couldn't stop thinking about this story for days.It was beautifully written and very clever the way it moved backwards and forwards between Flo's life and Millie's. This book won an award and it is well worth it.
on 13 August 2003
Dancing in the dark is a touching tale of love, passion, betrayal and loneliness of a young woman. The story is centred around Flo Clancy, a young woman who falls in love with a married man, Tommy O'Mara, who capitivates her heart with his good looks and declarations of undying love and marriage, but just as Flo starts making plans for her future with Tommy O'Mara, he dies a tragic death, when the submarine he is not supposed to be on, sinks. Shortly, after Tommy's death, Flo discovers that she is carrying his child and confides in her family. A mistake, she regrets for the rest of her life because as soon as Flo's baby is born, her sister Martha whisks it away to Tommy O' Mara's rather eccentric wife on false pretenses, that the baby is well cared for by a loving couple. Flo discovers her sister's treachery as she comes face-to-face with her baby, whilst out shopping and makes a vow that she keeps until death, never to cross paths with her sister, Martha again. Over the years, Flo is reunited with her son and later her grandson, who only know her as their friend, Flo. Maureen Lee cleverly, portrays a woman's love, a mother's pain of losing a child and a old woman's struggle to bury the haunting memories of a lost-love, discovered whilst dancing in the dark.
A book that will keep you spell-bounded till the end.
on 7 October 1999
A fantastic book and boy what a twist, yet again all I can say is I just cant wait until Maureen's new book comes out.
on 18 January 2006
This book has to be one of the most moving books I have ever come across, Maureen Lee has a gift, no doubt about it, I have heard a couple of people say they found it a little confusing because of the time jumps, my advice would be to go back and reread the book, it really isnt confusing at all. the two main charecters complement each other and at the end of the book I could all but touch Flo's basement flat. A beautiful book!
on 30 September 1999
I've only got the last chapter to go and I just can't wait to finish this book. It is exactly the same standard as Maureen Lee's other books and I just can't wait until HER NEXT BOOK COMES OUT.
on 28 July 2006
I'm not a great reader of books and they have to really interest me or I give up on them. This one I could not put down! It really kept me enthralled as it let out little by little Flo's life story and the eventual impact it had on Millies life. This was my first read from Maureen Lee and I am now happlily working my way through all her other books.
on 30 July 2013
Came across this a recommendation, and thought, why not? I love a good saga. This was more love story, with true saga twists. And what twists they are!!! The story is told in recent modern day by Millie, a young vibrant estate agent, who is asked by her doormat, abused mother to go to her aunts flat and sort through her belongings following her death. Her aunt, flo's story is then told throughout the book, her life,love, the war years and the tradegy that unfolds. The twists and turns will keep you turning page after page. Flo really is the main character of the book, and you almost feel as though you know her. I thought the end was abrupt. Although it does not leave you with unanswered questions. Maureen lee is a gifted author, and I've just bought my next read "mother of pearl" which I hope will be as entertaining and addictive as dancing in the dark. I'm sure I have read a few other Maureen lee books over the years, but none have stayed with me, the way dancing in the dark will.
on 11 January 2008
I loved this book and couldn`t put it down. I passed it to my daughter and she read it in two sittings. In fact it`s still doing the rounds and everyone has loved it. One reader says she couldn`t understand the role of the niece and felt she wasn`t really neccessary - but it was the niece who brought flo`s life story to us. She had the enviable task of going through flo`s personal letters and belongings after flo`s death, which in turn pieced together flo`s life and all her secrets. I loved how flo and her friend were both in love with the same man - but flo`s friend never let on to flo, right up to her death in old age.It`s certainly one of those stories that stays with you long after you`ve finished the book. This is maureen lee at her absolute best - strangely i wasn`t very impressed by any of her other books - but she goes straight to the top of the class for dancing in the dark !
on 1 September 2012
i bought Dancing in the dark from a local shop that was shutting down and it cost me 50p, i have to say it was a fantastic buy, i love the story line of both millie and aunt flo....and found it very moving. For people who found this book confusing you need to go back and re-read it again....i have read this book around six times and each time it gets better and better...i have purchased MOST of maureen lees books since but this one was fab and defo the best by fab that im about to buy it for my new kindle .A must buy!!!!!
on 9 October 2008
A story of two women centuries apart. Millie who is aked to clear her late aunts flat after she die's and finds a family secret that has been kept hidden.And Flo Clancy who's secret letter's photo's and newspaper clippings tell of her sadness and betrayal by her own family. I found this book hard to put down once I had picked it up. I would recommend this book. Worth reading