5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, totally absorbing novel I couldn't put down.
Published on 16 Mar 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars WRONG LANGUAGE
Before pressing the button to have. The kindle edition of this book it would have been helpful of there was a prompt to ask if I was sure I wanted it in Russian knowing my buying history that every other book I have bought has been in English! Obviously this book is no good to me whatsoever because I can't read Russian. I realise it was my mistake but I bought two books...
Published 7 months ago by rosierach

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, totally absorbing novel I couldn't put down., 16 Mar 2001
This review is from: Dancing In The Dark (Paperback)
I read this book in two nights, I quite literally couldn't stop. The story is told by two women; Millie is an estate agent in the nineties. Flo is her great aunt born more than eighty years before. When Flo dies, Millie has to sort out her belongings. We then go back to Flo's story and read what a tragic and moving life she led. Millie finds clue's in Flo's papers that explain some of her own family secrets. I couldn't stop thinking about this story for days.It was beautifully written and very clever the way it moved backwards and forwards between Flo's life and Millie's. This book won an award and it is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing in the Dark, 13 Aug 2003
By A Customer
Dancing in the dark is a touching tale of love, passion, betrayal and loneliness of a young woman. The story is centred around Flo Clancy, a young woman who falls in love with a married man, Tommy O'Mara, who capitivates her heart with his good looks and declarations of undying love and marriage, but just as Flo starts making plans for her future with Tommy O'Mara, he dies a tragic death, when the submarine he is not supposed to be on, sinks. Shortly, after Tommy's death, Flo discovers that she is carrying his child and confides in her family. A mistake, she regrets for the rest of her life because as soon as Flo's baby is born, her sister Martha whisks it away to Tommy O' Mara's rather eccentric wife on false pretenses, that the baby is well cared for by a loving couple. Flo discovers her sister's treachery as she comes face-to-face with her baby, whilst out shopping and makes a vow that she keeps until death, never to cross paths with her sister, Martha again. Over the years, Flo is reunited with her son and later her grandson, who only know her as their friend, Flo. Maureen Lee cleverly, portrays a woman's love, a mother's pain of losing a child and a old woman's struggle to bury the haunting memories of a lost-love, discovered whilst dancing in the dark.
A book that will keep you spell-bounded till the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book., 7 Oct 1999
This review is from: Dancing In The Dark (Paperback)
A fantastic book and boy what a twist, yet again all I can say is I just cant wait until Maureen's new book comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Book, 18 Jan 2006
This review is from: Dancing In The Dark (Paperback)
This book has to be one of the most moving books I have ever come across, Maureen Lee has a gift, no doubt about it, I have heard a couple of people say they found it a little confusing because of the time jumps, my advice would be to go back and reread the book, it really isnt confusing at all. the two main charecters complement each other and at the end of the book I could all but touch Flo's basement flat. A beautiful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 30 Sep 1999
This review is from: Dancing In The Dark (Paperback)
I've only got the last chapter to go and I just can't wait to finish this book. It is exactly the same standard as Maureen Lee's other books and I just can't wait until HER NEXT BOOK COMES OUT.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spellbinding Book, 28 July 2006
This review is from: Dancing In The Dark (Paperback)
I'm not a great reader of books and they have to really interest me or I give up on them. This one I could not put down! It really kept me enthralled as it let out little by little Flo's life story and the eventual impact it had on Millies life. This was my first read from Maureen Lee and I am now happlily working my way through all her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNPUTDOWNABLE IS RIGHT.., 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dancing In The Dark (Paperback)
I loved this book and couldn`t put it down. I passed it to my daughter and she read it in two sittings. In fact it`s still doing the rounds and everyone has loved it. One reader says she couldn`t understand the role of the niece and felt she wasn`t really neccessary - but it was the niece who brought flo`s life story to us. She had the enviable task of going through flo`s personal letters and belongings after flo`s death, which in turn pieced together flo`s life and all her secrets. I loved how flo and her friend were both in love with the same man - but flo`s friend never let on to flo, right up to her death in old age.It`s certainly one of those stories that stays with you long after you`ve finished the book. This is maureen lee at her absolute best - strangely i wasn`t very impressed by any of her other books - but she goes straight to the top of the class for dancing in the dark !

5.0 out of 5 stars A truely captivating book, 9 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dancing In The Dark (Paperback)
A story of two women centuries apart. Millie who is aked to clear her late aunts flat after she die's and finds a family secret that has been kept hidden.And Flo Clancy who's secret letter's photo's and newspaper clippings tell of her sadness and betrayal by her own family. I found this book hard to put down once I had picked it up. I would recommend this book. Worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars dancing in the dark...., 3 July 2014
I just loved this book..when I read it I felt as though I was in the basement flat...dancing in the dark and seeing all the pictures from the lamp dancing on the ceiling.....fabulous.......

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 July 2014
good

Dancing In The Dark
Dancing In The Dark by Maureen Lee (Paperback - 5 Feb 2009)