Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2001
After reading Lights Out Liverpool, I just had to read the follw on book. Maureen Lee captures the same gripping storylines plus brings in a whole load of new characters that will make it impossible for you to put the book down. From the heartache of seeing your favourite characters die to the sorrow of watching others who let grief consume them, to the welcoming joys of new life and how life goes on. This book is not to be missed.
on 27 June 1999
Again I'd like to say that I read this book and thoroughly enjoyed the book. I lost count the number of times that I broke down and cried. I can't wait to read the next book.
on 8 November 2014
I only discovered Maureen Lee recently, but have already read her Pearl Street trilogy. As a child of parents who were young during WW2, Dad in RAF and Mum working in munitions, we were brought up hearing so many tales of "during the war". I am very interested in that period and have so much admiration for the people of all nationalities who lived through the horror that war brought to both civilians and the armed forces.
Maureen Lee brings that period to life again, I recognise so many things in her books that I was told as a child. We all owe a huge debt to that brave generation. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good yarn especially if there is an interest in WW2.
on 29 August 2009
This is the second book in a series of three. Lights out Liverpool was the first book and both have been a very good read. I have now started on the third book Through the Storm and it is proving just as good as the other two.
on 1 April 2011
This book being the third one I have read in a series about life in a Liverpool street during war. They cover the lives of families living there and what happens to them. A good read and very moving in parts.
on 28 June 2013
Having loved history form a young age, these books really get into the heart of what life way like for women and children back at home during the war. You can visualise how the fashions changed, women's rights changed and how children were still allowed to be children, even though the threat of death and destruction loomed. Having spoken to my parents friends who are from Liverpool, they can really relate to the portrayel of Lee's Liverpool.

A great read!
on 24 June 2011
Another brillant read couldn't put it down now reading the sequel to this book Through the storm so good to recapture them all in another novel.
on 16 February 2014
I read this book through a sheme that i belong to once read it gets passed on and first i wasnt going to give this book 5 stars because of the cliff hanger at the end. I wasnt best pleased how it ended all sorts of questions I wanted answering and I couldnt sleep because of it which is a result of how captivating this book really is. This is my first book I have read by Maureen Lee and its fantastic. I didnt realise at the time it was part of three until I came on here and found out, hence the cliffhanger so I have just purchased the last one to find out what happens next. I started reading it and couldnt put it down. I love reading these kinds of books and this one just had me hooked. Unfortunatly i didnt read the first one but this book was easy to follow reagardless and I throughly enjoyed it. I felt i was part of the story with the detailed descriptions of events and characters. Would definatley recommend, cant wait to start next book. BUY and READ :)
on 5 February 2009
Having read 'Lights Out Liverpool' by Maureen Lee, the first novel in the Pearl Street Trilogy, I was extremely eager to read the second one, 'Put Out the Fires' and I was not disappointed. The author has a wonderful way of bringing her characters to life and by the end of the book, I felt that I really knew them inside out. The way she describes the trials and tribulations of the families that live in Pearl Street through the terrible war years is incredible. This book is a real page-turner that will make you laugh and it will certainly make you cry.
on 15 October 2012
For anyone that loves family sagas this is a 100% must. It's a "can't put the book down" story. You really care and feel for all the residents past and present in the street. Please please buy it you won't be disappointed - just one word of warning You won't get any work done until you have read the last page. Please buy all three in the series.