5.0 out of 5 stars A Village Discovery
Published on 20 Aug. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped
Bought this hoping it would be like the Burracombe series by Lilian Harry. It isn't. OK in it's own right but wont buy any others in series
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Village Discovery, 20 Aug. 2002
This review is from: The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) (Paperback)
I only stumbled upon these books by accident, but I am glad I did! Thoroughly absorbing, I have managed to read the first three Rebecca Shaw Turnham Malpas series, within a week. They have plenty to keep everyone gripped, there is no gratuitous sex or violence, just everyday life and goings on in the village. The list of characters came in useful to begin with and the map is an excellent idea, it gives you a sense of proportion in the village. I have an image in my head of exactly how everything looks, it's like running a television programme in your head, everytime you pick up the book to read. I will read all the others with the same trepidation of knowing that if something happens, within three or four chapters the matter has been solved. These books are a must for anyone who loves to watch Sunday Night Dramas, which really don't tax the brain but leave you feeling really fulfilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars ''Rebecca Shaw is a sleuth in her own right'', 31 Dec. 2004
This review is from: The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) (Paperback)
Forget ''Miss Marple'' or even ''Miss Read'', village life has never been so exciting. Right from the start of her first novel ''The New Rector'' you are drawn to the characters who seem so life like, exactly like people we all know. The plot, twists and turns keep you engrossed in a wonderful read. A truly great start, prompting me to order the next one in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 14 April 2000
This review is from: The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) (Paperback)
The first in a series, this gives a great basis of the characters and feels that it really could be true to life village life. I found this gripping but easy reading and not too heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate read about village life, 9 April 1999
By A Customer
This book is the start of a wonderful series of books about the village of Turnham Malpas. It involves the reader right from the beginning and only very reluctantly will you want to let go at the end. Rebecca Shaw has a wonderful gift for 'storytelling' and making the characters come alive within the pages of her books. To tell too much of the plot would spoil the book, but the main theme is about a new rector and his settling into village life. There are enough ups,downs and village gossip to keep the most fickle of reader happy as you are led through the pages without wanting the story to end. I really recommend 'The New Rector' and the five which follow - please read them in order you'll be confused if you don't and finally - please let there be more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked for Shaw!, 27 April 2003
This review is from: The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) (Paperback)
Having been a keen reader of the Miss Read Novels, I stumbled across Rebecca Shaw by accident, having been lent the first three novels in the set, I am now completing novel 9! Although The New Rector could be described as "Easy Reading", I found it absorbing for me it strikes the right balance, with twists and turns to keep you guessing, but above all it leaves the reader with that "feel good" feeling, just like the Miss Read novels before them. If you like Sunday Night TV drama , Rebecca Shaw just could be for you. Can't wait for the next instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FIRST OF A GREAT SERIES OF STORIES!, 18 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) (Paperback)
I have read the whole series of Turnham Malpas books by Rebecca Shaw starting with 'The New Rector', the very first story. I order the new book every year, maybe the hardback, maybe the paper back. This one is still my favourite story. Rebecca's new yearly book is not always a Turnham Malpas, but one of her Barleybridge series about life at a Veterinary Practice in Dorset which is also an excellant read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The New Rector - Rebecca Shaw, 9 Dec. 2010
melisa (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) (Paperback)
I also stumbled upon these books by accident, they were recommended on here after I read the Priors Ford books, and I really enjoyed it.

The characters are interesting, some are nice and some are not so nice! but I found myself wanting to know more about them after each chapter!

I was delighted to find out that there are a further 15 books in the Turnham Malpas series so I can't wait to get stuck into them over Christmas!

4.0 out of 5 stars plenty of feelgood factor here, 30 Mar. 2014
Well, this book about country life, with the odd murder and crime here and there, may not be the world's greatest literature, but for me it was just what I needed to relax and escape reality. Some larger than life characters, a few clichés, but the overall effect is quite charming, and the series quite addictive, especially as the books can be read very quickly. In fact I did not get hold of this first book in the series until I had read some much later ones, but the fact that I already knew how some storylines were going to pan out did not detract from my enjoyment. If you want something to curl up with that will help you forget your worries, this could well be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming, 14 Sept. 2012
I bought this book as an easy read for holiday.I knew nothing about the author and why I went for it I don't know.

It was a relatively quick, easy read and I loved it. You really get into the heart of Turnham Malpas, the village that the story is set in. You get to know and love each character and some you may even identify with! You may certainly recognise some people you know in the book, as there are some great character studies.

Did I enjoy the book? You bet and so much so that, I have since read the next in the series and have plans to work through the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new rector, 14 July 2010
This review is from: The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, i am reading the Turnham Malpass series by Rebecca Shaw, and this is the 1st book in the series, a very easy relaxing read, very enjoyable.

The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS)
The New Rector (TURNHAM MALPAS) by Rebecca Shaw (Paperback - 2 Mar. 2008)