5.0 out of 5 stars The book that blew me away
I watched the film first and I thought it was breath-taking. I then decided to read the book and it was even better.
I had cried at the film and thought since I knew what would happen I wouldn't cry at the book but i cried even more than the film.
Published on 19 Jun 2004 by eyelash_girl

3.0 out of 5 stars An emotive tale of divine injustice.
I usually find Stephen King novels phenomenally hard to read. He sometimes appears perverted and just straight weird. However, the green mile is a bit of a diversion to his horror work and is all the better for it. Although the novel was released in parts it holds up reasonably well as a complete novel. The characters are emminently likeable and the setting suitably...
Published on 18 May 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that blew me away, 19 Jun 2004
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
I am so glad a got the complete book in one volume because if I had had to wait for the next part for a month I don't know what I would have done.
One of the best 3 books I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will never be the same again, 30 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
This was the first book I had read by Stephen King as I wrongly thought that he only wrote horror stories. This was one of the most moving stories I have ever read and has prompted me to write to an inmate on death row. I passed the book on to my teenage daughter who was also deeply moved. Well written, thought provoking and consistent, holding the reader right up to the final pages. If it doesn't stir up your emotions you must be dead.

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling, thought-provoking tragedy., 18 Oct 2002
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
I'm not really a big Stephen King fan, as I don't like horror and blood and guts. However, I thought I'd give this one a try,
and I'm so glad I did. It is a really good story, and even though the subject matter is death and execution, it isn't really gratuitous, but necessary to the story. I have read some of his books and thought they just dealt in sensation, and were out to shock, but this one is a 'proper' story, well-told,and very effective. I read the book really quickly as I couldn't put it down until I'd finished, and I have read it again since, and still think it's great. I also watched the film, and I thought it interpreted the book wonderfully. Usually, I am disappointed if I have read a book first, and then see the film, but this one stuck pretty much to the story, and of course, the acting was wonderful (Tom Hanks, need I say more?). I was very pleasantly surprised by this offerring from Stephen King, and he has definitely gone up in my estimation on the strength of this book. I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazingly haunting story., 21 Feb 2004
Sue Lewendon "Film fanatic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
I was one of the people who read this book when it was originally published. It was serialised in 6 short paperbacks, and I had to wait a whole month in between each installment. Every one of them ended on a cliffhanger too!!!
However, I am very glad I was patient enough to read it that way, as this is a story that should not be rushed but savoured.
It is set in the 1930's mainly, although some of it is told from today's point of view. (The main character is narrating his life story to a friend.)
It tells the tale of the prisoners and guards on death row at Cold Mountain Penitentiary. Killers such as 'Billy the Kid' Wharton and the Cajun Eduard Delacroix. With good men to run the 'Mile' such as Paul Edgecombe and Brutus Howell. But even guards can be bad, as is the case with Percy Wetmore.
But the most important and amazing character is the new inmate on the 'Mile', John Coffey. Here is a black mountain of a man who stands accused of murdering two little white girls, two sisters.
But Paul soon starts to wonder about this strange man, how can it be that someone capable of such a horrific crime, can be scared of the dark? King has brought to life a truly outstanding character in Coffey who might just not be who they think he is.
The other prisoners are brilliantly portrayed too. Eduard Delacroix who has trouble understanding English, (unless it's to his benefit of course!), and his little pet mouse he refers to as Mister Jingles. And a fantastic character, Billy the Kid, who is bad to the bone. He does some remarkably funny things in this story that had me laughing out loud.
This is a story like no other I have ever read. It has everything and more you could possibly hope for from the pen of King.
The movie has done this story justice and I suggest that everyone one should see it, but I recommend you read the book first, if only to fully appreciate the story and prolong it's telling.
A wonderful blend of humour and tragedy that will touch even the hardest of hearts.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Kings best books, 23 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
In the afterword Stephen King says that most of the book was written under pressure of a deadline as it was originally published as a serial thriller. He may not have had the time to research everything as fully as he would normally, but I feel that this is one of his best books as a result.
He establishes the characters quickly and unlike many of his books it didn't feel as if there was a lot of padding to make the book longer. I associate Stephen King with horror, but I wouldn't classify this as a horror story. It probably has more in common with the Shawshank Redemption.
It is an easy book to read and as it is split into six books there is always something interesting going on. This is the type of book that I would read in only one or two sessions if I was on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only possible story to eclipse Shawshank, 29 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
I saw the film before I read the book - and was blown away by the intensity of the story. The book proved, as usual, to be even better. The surprising aspect was the fact that the characters in the book, I thought, came to life as the actors in the film. Percy Wetmore, particularly stood out as the snivelling, vindictive, malicious wannabe that was portrayed by the actor (who also did a superb Eugene Tooms in the X-Files). The book had me in tears as much as the film - somehow the written word can be just as emotive. I was initially put off reading it due to the serialisation of books - but then, I'm a hungry reader. A must for all King fans, especially if you loved Shawshank.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Emotional Rollercoaster!, 25 May 2000
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
I read on average 2 books a week and this is one of the most thought provoking I have read in years.Stephen King is not my usual style of reading but the feeling he manages to get across in The Green Mile is incredible.At more than one stage I found myself starting to cry!(for a mouse?).Anyway, if you want to read a addictive and brilliant book just once in your lifetime, PLEASE MAKE IT THIS ONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a FANTASTIC book!, 24 Jun 2000
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
If you enjoy exquisitely drawn characters, and narration that seems able to draw effortlessly upon all variety of human emotion, then you will delight in this book; one of the best I have read! I now believe that Stephen King is one of the most skilful and talented writers of our time. Read 'The Green Mile', even if you are not a King fan. I feel sure that you soon will be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steven King?, 4 Dec 2002
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
Having sat one rainy night and watched the film I thought I'd give the book a try as I was impressed with the film and have to say the book blew me away even more so than the film.
I've tried reading Steven King books before, but found them a bit too much for me. Whether they've been too sci-fi orientated or too horror based they've just not been my cup of tea. But this is a welcome change to Steven's writing. It's very readable and the characters have a lot of depth. I'd recommend this to anyone who has seen the film and enjoyed it, as the supernatural elements are far better described in writing. And for anyone who has not heard of the film or the book, don't be put off by the word 'supernatural' at all - this is a very touching, well-written story that doesn't dwell on the supernatural but more uses it to compliment the situation.
Definitely my favourite book I've read so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 14 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
I read this book before I saw the film, and am so glad I did. An absolutely stunning book, which made me sob and smile within a few pages. Although I've never been a huge Stephen King fan, I would recommend this book to anyone.
A must read!

The Green Mile
The Green Mile by Stephen King (Paperback - 2 Sep 1999)
8.36