Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 April 2010
I have read all of Peter James's Roy Grace novels and few of his stand-alone books, but 'Prophecy' is perhaps the best, in my view.
The story concerns Frannie Monsanto, who, after meeting by chance Oliver, is drawn into a gruesome set of coincidences. The synopsis is pretty vague, so I won't reveal any more than that, lest I give too much away. 'Prophecy' rattles along at a fair pace, with shortish chapters used to great effect. The characters, whilst not particularly deep, have enough about them to carry the story neatly. The tale comes together intricately towards the end and the climax, whilst a little blunted, still delivers satisfyingly.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a briskly paced tale that encompasses romance, horror, and an element of the supernatural. Wholly enjoyable and well worth a read.
on 31 January 2012
I am a huge fan of Peter James's standalone novels and this one is no exception. The gruesomeness in the first two chapters sets the scene for the whole book which rattles along at a great pace, very enjoyably! I won't go into the synopsis for fear of giving anything away - all you need to know is in the description Amazon gives you, you can find the rest out for yourself when you read it!

You could picture this book as a film, along the lines of Final Destination I suppose, but for me it was the ending of this book that really epitomised the sheer talent of it. The final line is absolutely fantastic and incredibly creepy. When I opened up the office this morning in the dark I half expected to see Edward standing there. Even after finishing it three days ago it's still scaring the pants off me!

The grisly deaths don't get in the way of a really good story so just let yourself go and enjoy the book (just don't read it before bed!).
on 5 March 2000
I have to say that before I even picked up 'Prophecy', I knew that I was going to enjoy it immensely. Why? One name - Peter James. I am not normally so obvious of extreme adulation for one author but where Peter James is concerned, I am!.
'Prophecy' was equally as good as 'The Truth', better than 'Alchemist' and 'Host' and nearly as exciting as 'Denial'. The main character, Frannie Monsanto meets Oliver Halkin and their coincidental meeting sparks off other spooky parallelisms. Coincendences?. Frannie, along with her friends years ago experimented with a ouija board with horrific circumstances that could cost Frannie her life. But why now? Why are these horrors happening now? What message did the ouiji give to Frannie?. How are these coincidences linked with Oliver?.
Peter James is a very talented author with a refreshingly exciting approach to reflect his interest in medicine, science and the paranormal. 'Prophecy' explores the paranormal influence on Frannie's life and the extreme horrors that are caused. It's a relatively short novel which captures your imagination and evokes both fear and enticement. I recommend this novel to all those of readers that enjoy a supernatural suspense full of horrifyingly amazing surprises.
on 5 September 2012
I almost gave up on reading this, twice. The opening chapter had promise but then the reader is introduced to Frannie, who I could not warm to until more than halfway through the book. Her love interest similarly left me cold. I felt no chemistry between them and I couldn't understand why Frannie was so desperate to see him all the time. To top it off I found the 80's London setting very uninspiring.

I was confused at first because the opening chapter was horror, and then it seemed to turn into a mundane romance and stayed that way until about 1/3 of the way through. I'm glad I stuck with it because then it turns into a pretty good horror. There was a constant undercurrent of impending doom and I couldn't stop reading until I had seen it through. I had worked out most of it before the big reveal but it came in a series of small realisations, indicating good pacing and twists. The horror figure is very creepy and whenever Frannie was going to go off with him alone I thought "no, don't do it!".

Prophecy is enjoyable and sinister, but I wish the author had developed the main characters a little more. I really couldn't relate to them or find anything particularly interesting in them and that dragged down what could have been a great book.
on 25 September 2013
As an ex curator of the British museum I thoroughly enjoyed a horror book based there! A perfect balance of accurate museum life alongside the romance of a country estate and dashing aristocrat..whilst being emersed in a creeping tale of supernatural horror!Frannie is both a likeable and believable character and this book merits 're reading several times!
on 3 March 2013
When I started this book I wasn't at all sure. I hadn't realised it was going to be 'scary'. But the more I read, the less I was able to put the book down. Full of suspense and dread. Really gripping story.
on 15 May 2014
I was really enjoying this book, found it quite spooky, and I particularly enjoy horror storys about the occult, black magic, possession etc so was really looking forward to how it all panned out in the end - but I found the ending very hurried. It was concluded in the last 20 pages and was almost as if he'd got bored writing teh book and just wanted to get it over and done with. Slightly disappointed
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2010
An intriguing and gripping plot which begins in the past but is set in the present day (early '90's). The descriptions were spot on, making it easy to imagine both the settings and characters. Although set in London, we also venture into the tranquility of the English countryside, sleepy and idyllic which combined with the plot, makes the underlying horror somehow worse. Frannie the main character is likeable and realistic and I literally just didn't want to put the book down until I'd found out the ending...which didn't disappoint!
on 1 November 2012
I have only recently started reading Peter James books, I have now read all of the Roy Grace series and can't wait for the next one and now I have gone back to the start of his writing and I am making my way through the books in order. Prophecy is a brilliant read, I couldn't put it down, I'm sure that anyone who likes a little suspence mixed with a little horror and some really dramatic page turning, is going to love this book. I have just moved on to his next book 'Host' and am once again engrosed.
on 14 February 2014
This book is very scary but couldn't put it down. i
It's not for the faint hearted or those if a nervous disposition.