5.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural suspense full of horrifyingly amazing surprises
I have to say that before I even picked up 'Prophecy', I knew that I was going to enjoy it immensely. Why? One name - Peter James. I am not normally so obvious of extreme adulation for one author but where Peter James is concerned, I am!.
Published on 5 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual excitement expected!
This was a so, so book, not the usual gripping mystery I expect of my fafourite mystery auother. This was rather predictable, no surprises, or ingenious convolutions. I'm just looking forward to a new Roy Grace Police edition to his repetoire!
Published 14 months ago by Mrs. P. M. Tremlett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural suspense full of horrifyingly amazing surprises, 5 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Prophecy (Paperback)
'Prophecy' was equally as good as 'The Truth', better than 'Alchemist' and 'Host' and nearly as exciting as 'Denial'. The main character, Frannie Monsanto meets Oliver Halkin and their coincidental meeting sparks off other spooky parallelisms. Coincendences?. Frannie, along with her friends years ago experimented with a ouija board with horrific circumstances that could cost Frannie her life. But why now? Why are these horrors happening now? What message did the ouiji give to Frannie?. How are these coincidences linked with Oliver?.
Peter James is a very talented author with a refreshingly exciting approach to reflect his interest in medicine, science and the paranormal. 'Prophecy' explores the paranormal influence on Frannie's life and the extreme horrors that are caused. It's a relatively short novel which captures your imagination and evokes both fear and enticement. I recommend this novel to all those of readers that enjoy a supernatural suspense full of horrifyingly amazing surprises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peter James at his twisted best ..., 8 April 2010
Paul Eccles (Tamworth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophecy (Paperback)
I have read all of Peter James's Roy Grace novels and few of his stand-alone books, but 'Prophecy' is perhaps the best, in my view.
The story concerns Frannie Monsanto, who, after meeting by chance Oliver, is drawn into a gruesome set of coincidences. The synopsis is pretty vague, so I won't reveal any more than that, lest I give too much away. 'Prophecy' rattles along at a fair pace, with shortish chapters used to great effect. The characters, whilst not particularly deep, have enough about them to carry the story neatly. The tale comes together intricately towards the end and the climax, whilst a little blunted, still delivers satisfyingly.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a briskly paced tale that encompasses romance, horror, and an element of the supernatural. Wholly enjoyable and well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be afraid......, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
When I started this book I wasn't at all sure. I hadn't realised it was going to be 'scary'. But the more I read, the less I was able to put the book down. Full of suspense and dread. Really gripping story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome and creepy but great!, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: Prophecy (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Peter James's standalone novels and this one is no exception. The gruesomeness in the first two chapters sets the scene for the whole book which rattles along at a great pace, very enjoyably! I won't go into the synopsis for fear of giving anything away - all you need to know is in the description Amazon gives you, you can find the rest out for yourself when you read it!

You could picture this book as a film, along the lines of Final Destination I suppose, but for me it was the ending of this book that really epitomised the sheer talent of it. The final line is absolutely fantastic and incredibly creepy. When I opened up the office this morning in the dark I half expected to see Edward standing there. Even after finishing it three days ago it's still scaring the pants off me!

The grisly deaths don't get in the way of a really good story so just let yourself go and enjoy the book (just don't read it before bed!).

5.0 out of 5 stars PROPHECY BY PETER JAMES AN ASTOUNDING BOOK!, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
As an ex curator of the British museum I thoroughly enjoyed a horror book based there! A perfect balance of accurate museum life alongside the romance of a country estate and dashing aristocrat..whilst being emersed in a creeping tale of supernatural horror!Frannie is both a likeable and believable character and this book merits 're reading several times!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh he's a good writer!, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Prophecy (Paperback)
I have read all of his stuff and think his books are well worth the money and can't wait for his latest one to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars prophecy, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
This book is very scary but couldn't put it down. i
It's not for the faint hearted or those if a nervous disposition.

4.0 out of 5 stars crime books, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
Have enjoyed all Peter James's book like the way he writes. Would recommend Peter James book to anybody who enjoy thrillers

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
After reading sweetheart from peter James which had me very confused I took on the reading of prophecy with a little sense of intreppidida

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Peter James book I've read and will try more of his work . This story seemed very familiar and was ridiculously gory in places. Although I like his writing what I didn't like was his tendency to Americanism. In Bethnal Green (which I think is in East London) he refers to a 'filling station' and a 'car lot'. He also refers to an elevator yet the characters are British. Other than that a readable, if unoriginal, story

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa80c09cc)

Prophecy
Prophecy by Peter James (Paperback - 1 Dec 2006)
3.85