VINE VOICEon 24 January 2001
Although it rarely grips you, this story of a group of colonists fighting for survival on an alien world is never boring. The descriptions of the alien lifeforms are vivid, if a little incomprehensible, but the fragmentation of the society into groups, the insane, outcasts, the original colonists (male and female) and their children is compelling. A good piece of science fiction, and worth a read. I wanted to drown the heroine, though.
on 17 January 2000
Approaching this book with an open mind, I wasn't quite sure what to expect - how cyberpunk would it be? Well, call it what you will, after a slow start as we are introduced to the character Kalypso and her underachieving "so what?" attitude, it only gets better. An imaginative and gripping approach that was fresh to me.
I enjoyed reading this book although there were instances where it felt that there was a very sectioned approach - you knew that you were being transitioned between the start, the middle and the end.
The imagery that Tricia uses is very vivid and it was easily possible to feel yourself in the middle of nowhere with only the strange patterns of the Luma, or locked into a strange dream state where data is images and sensory stimuli.
It contained some clever twists and at no point was I bored. I look forward to seeing the next book from this author - if she maintains this level of narrative it should be a corker.
on 18 January 2000
I bought the book because it won the Arthur C. Clarke award and I was intrigued. What a pleasant surprise to find an award winner that's actually fun. It's a real page turner and I had a hard job putting it down - and it's thought provoking too. This is what I used to love about the SF I read when I was younger. People who liked this book would also enjoy "The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula K. Le Guin.
on 17 January 2000
on 2 December 2005
I found descriptions of alien life in this book mostly incomprehensible. The interactions of the human colonials was fun and character development was done adequately. But unfortunately despite finishing the book I was very much left with the feeling of having missed out rather than having been drawn in. If only the descriptions of an alien ecology had been more accessible then I would have got much more from the experience.
All in all it was not worth reading unfortunately.
on 13 June 2000
After reading this book I was not sure what the author was getting at, if anything. It is a complecated read, not easy by any means, and after I got 2/3 of the way through I was un sure what the point was. Near the end, and not to give anything away, I could not figure out if the whole book was not just a disjointed dream of some sort. Maybe that was the point. Who knows.
This is not to say that it was a bad book, just that it will not be for everyone.
on 4 January 2001
I managed to read the first three chapters of this book in the hope that it would improve, but at that stage i decided to give up on it. I felt that too many concepts were introduced so early on that it was difficult to get a grasp of what on earth was going on, as the jargon became impenetrable. Maybe if you've read a lot of cyperpunk type SF you might be able to cope and get through and enjoy this novel, but i wasn't able to
on 19 September 2000
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was completely immersed in the world Tricia Sullivan created. Although it took me a good few pages to get into the story it was well worth it. I found myself completely wrapped up in the plot and giving excuses to stay in as I neared the climax of the story because I couldn't put it down. A very refreshing and much needed dose of vitamins to the genre of science fiction.
on 12 October 2015
A good idea somewhat spoiled by unnecessary obscurity and, as with many 'modern' books, being over-long. Something of a struggle to get through and one is left with wondering if it was worth it.
on 23 February 2000
Tricia's choice of names Calypso Deed, T'name etc etc gets the book off to a bad start, it feels like a 3rd grade english student essay. While you are waiting for the attack of the Xytlatsor Fuzzatt you miss the real beauty of this book. Trica as built not only her own world ecosystem etc but a completely model for life in the universe. It really gives and insight into a system "we could not possibly understand" if that makes sense. The sheer orginaility the biosystem becomes core to an excellent read, truwly worthy of the 1999 AC Clarke Award. While not as well written as Mr Clrake word there are some gems here that shine brighter under the correct light. And yes, I know I cannot spelll.