5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and Easy

Published on 19 May 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and Easy, 22 Nov. 2002
This review is from: New Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
I have to disagree with the reviewer below. It is not that I think these recipes stand as some eternal monument to wonderous vegetatian food; but rather that they do a real job in a real world really well. I am an aspiring vegetatian. For ethical and health reasons I try to limit or abstain from meat (but I love the stuff and do lapse). Cranks' book filled a huge void on my cookery book shelf and in the process enabled one aspiring veggie to take a step closer to full time vegetarianism.
So am I applauding this book for enabling me to live a more ethical life? No way. I'm saying that by offering numerous really tasty, really simple vegetarian recipes that follow on relatively easily from most people's omnivore diets, it has given me exactly what I needed. Everything is nicely presented, its a good size to use and the pictures feel good. All superficial you say? On the contrary, the "pleasure of use" (a term used in the cosmetic industry!) is one of the big determinants of how often you take a book down off a shelf. And how often you take a book down off a shelf is a big determinant (in my book) of how highly I rate a cookery manual.
I don't use the book for grand meals or entertaining. I would look elsewhere for that. I use it for family meals that are straightforward, appealing and as tasty (or nearly) as trad. meat meals like spag-bol or chicken curry. If you are well in to your vegetarian food and have been cooking it for years then this is not the book for you either. I doubt it will add anything new. But I'm guessing there are others like me out there. We think 'lots of veg and pulses - very good for you' and 'lots of spices, garlic and soy sauce - adds lots of flavour' - but a few solid, tried and tested ideas for how to cook these all up into something that feels really satisfying? Answer: The New Cranks Recipe Book.
Their roast root vegetables, chickpea salad, cruciferous salad are weekly events in this house. Non of it is fussy or so finely balanced that you can't play around with the ingredients and substitute where you want to. It is true that there are some ingredients that are hard to find (eg tamari)and this is a weakness of the book, but we use soy sauce instead, or sometimes just leave the item out altoghether and things still turn and tasty and brightly coloured!
Its not long on brown rice or brown flour, but there's nothing stopping you adding these if you want to. We eat the chickpea salad with quinoa (a high protein gluten free grain from South America) - mega brownie points! - but I have been known to have it with oven chips too!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute vegetarian taste sensation, 22 Jan. 2001
This review is from: New Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
This Recipe book is really delicious, it is full of easy to make recipes that are packed full with goodness and wonderful colours, which to me, really makes a prime feast. I think what I like most about this book , was the ingredients, they weren't all exotic things that you can only find in the most far east of countries but nice day to day things you can find in your local supermarket. I would of liked to seen more pictures, to really send my taste buds wild, but I mustn't be too picky now.
Really for all you vegetarians it will broaden your cooking ideas and you will be able to make the most wonderful , tastest, Caribbean pepperpot soup ever!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant recipes!, 28 Nov. 2003
This review is from: New Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
Whether, as the reviewer at the bottom of the page claims, there is a lack of wholefood in this collection or not, the recipes are accessible, impressive looking and fabulously tasty... and thats what a cookbook is all about. If you want to add your brown rice, go for it, but if you dont, then dont! I love this cookbook and even my non-veggie friends ooh and aah at the appealing pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and rewarding to make and eat, 22 Feb. 2012
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm not a vegetarian but have quite a lot of friends who are, so got a vegetarian cookbook (I can still also remember coming to London with my mother as a teenager to eat for a treat at Crank's Restaurant - we are very sad it no longer exists). This book is full of lovely, not-too-difficult and healthy recipes of all kinds, involving rice, pasta, pulses, potatoes and lots of vegetables of all kinds. A few of the meals are a tiny bit heavy or a bit dry, but there's lots of good things to choose from. The warm pasta salad with rocket and sundried tomato and parmesan has become a regular for my lunch to take to work, we eat the chickpea and spinach salad regularly (though I'm ashamed to admit, often with lamb!), and I still regularly cook some of the main meals, particularly:

The kidney and blackbean chilli with sour cream

The artichoke, pinenut and olive pasta

The chickpea and spinach curry

Even better, there's an amazing selection of puddings at the back of the book. It was sheer genius to think of adding dark brown sugar, apples, brandy and extra spices to bread-and-butter pudding; it transforms it into an amazing confection. The lemon tart is also lovely, as are the fruit crumbles. The fruit savarin is delicious if hard to make - put aside a few hours - and the chocolate roulade with raspberries has become my party piece. And the peaches stuffed with raspberries make a good mid-week pud.

A great book and fitting homage to a once-great restaurant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive recipes, 23 May 2006
C. Cannon "charlie_77" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
There are some great recipes in this book. I haven't had it long and have tried only a handful but I can't wait to try out the rest at any given opportunity.

Some of the recipes are a bit involved, you can tell they are restaurant recipes - they're a bit special for when you're cooking after a day at work. But they are fantastic for entertaining friends or family, or when you have more time. They taste fantastic and the ones I have tried instantly received "classic" status among those who ate them!

4.0 out of 5 stars The New Cranks Cookbook, 4 Feb. 2010
Good pictures and interesting recipe's - an ideal vegetarian book to have on one's collection. Some of my friends have been browsing through it and taking away recipes to try out. They are easy to follow and not too complicated. I am looking forward to trying some more recipe's out on my veggie friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab book for non-veggies too!, 31 Aug. 2010
Book is excellent - we're not veggies by rule but have started to use the receipes in this book which has been well received by the family and we have all enjoyed them - didn't know veggie food could be sooooo tasty. This seller was excellent and can recommend them, will use again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cranks Recipe Book, 28 April 2014
This review is from: New Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
Wow, First of all I didn't realise that Cranks had closed down all but one of their Restaurants. Great shame. But glad to know that they still have the one at Dartington still open. When we were last in Devon we went there..... amazing. Next this book contains the recipe for the fabulous HOMITY pie.... absolutely gorgeous. We always have some of this when in South Hams ....it's to die for.WE had some locally recently and it was very disappointing..... nothing like what we've had in Devon. BUT finally this book was ordered at around 1830 on Friday night and it arrived, very well packaged on the Saturday morning, probably less than 18 hours from time of order. Very well done Amazon. Your services still amaze me. It's a pity that the PO aren't so good and so quick !!

3.0 out of 5 stars A traitor to the Cranks ideal, for the sake of trendiness, 19 May 1999
This review is from: New Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
The Cranks restaurants and cookbooks were not just eating places and books; there was a whole philosophy behind them. The idea was not only to be vegetarian but earth-friendly,and the food had to be healthy too. At that time, they were pioneers. It seems that the trends have changed, and after the death of the chief initiators, the restaurants were ready to close for lack of customers. I don' t know why. But surely the answer was not replacing earthenware pots or brown rice and brown flour. Nadine Abensur in her introduction looks down on "brown" features regarding them as dull , bad looking, boring, old fashioned (smelling of the Seventies) and what not. Subsequently she snugly reveals that the new Cranks will be...just like any other vegetarian restaurant, and her book just like any other of the dozens, hundreds of vegetarian recipe books. No brown things, please! She just kept the free-range eggs, maybe because the English public still has a tender spot for them. Actually, I happen to find white rice and white flour bread very boring and tasteless, apart from any health considerations. The recipes themselves, therefore, have little creativeness, being a collection of classics from around the world, such as ratatouille. Please note that many of them feature numerous additions of very special ingredients(found only in health shops)and, on the other hand, tinned goods (such as tinned tomatoes) and plenty of sugar,exhorting us not to feel guilty about it! I' m not saying it is a bad book, but it is sad that the author is permitted to tamper with the Cranks name and history.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wiltshire, 2 Dec. 2010
This review is from: New Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
excellent book, wish now I had gone for the hardback book where there would hopefully be more pictures to tempt me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

New Cranks Recipe Book
New Cranks Recipe Book by Nadine Abensur (Paperback - 7 Dec. 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01