Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2001
In my view Peter James' best book yet. Gripping from the very first page. A supernatural tale that is frighteningly believable. It has all the ingredients of a classic Peter James , well portrayed characters that take you around the globe and keep you in suspense till the very last paragraph. Very well researched as we have come to expect from James. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book so much!
on 20 October 1998
Reviewed by Robert Parkinson
John and Susan Carter find their dream home, a large turreted house in an idyllic part of London. It needs work, but John's company are at the cutting edge of computer technology and on the way up; Susan is an editor at a City publishing house. They decide to take a risk and invest all they have in the new house.
Then the abyss beckons. John's bank Manager retires and is replaced by a new man with old values. The large overdraft that John's business have is not looked upon favourably. While John's company are heading toward a big break, they also have a court case hanging over them and the new Bank Manager doesn't think the bank's money is safe. He wants the overdraft down in a month, whatever it takes. Susan's job looks a bit unstable too when a takeover threatens to squeeze her out.
In step's Swiss Banker Emil Sarotzini. He offers to save John's business and consequently their home by paying off the business debts. In return he asks Susan to be a surrogate mother for his baby. Mr Sarotzini's wife is unable to have a child after a recent illness. He says.
Will they? Won't they? At first John and Susan are dead against, but the bank are breathing down John's neck, the business is definitely going to hit the skids unless they do something drastic, so they agree to Mr Sarotzini's offer.
By now however, the reader has become well aware that something more is going on here. Mr Sarotzini knows a lot more about the Carter's than they realise. He has a very special sidekick, Kundz, who is twisted in some very deep ways that I won't spoil for you. He is watching the Carters day and night. Especially at night, if you catch my drift.
After Susan is impregnated events begin to take a more macabre turn. The man at the centre of the court case with John's business suddenly dies. And then someone else close to the Carter's dies unexpectedly. And then another. Strange rumours begin to emerge about Mr Sarotzini himself. Is he really a Swiss banker? Can he be 110 years old, a man who was declared the Anti-Christ in 1947 and was supposed to be dead, but clearly isn't? And is Susan's very prominent gynaecologist, hired by Mr S, actually involved in Satanism and child sacrifice? Also, and here's the biggie, is the baby some kind of demonic beast, a special creation to wreak havoc on mankind?
So many questions, and Peter has your fingernails down to the quick by the time he has answered them. Like THE ALCHEMIST this book throws a lot of events together and then takes off on a wild ride into terror and chaos, pulling the reader by the seat of the pants, like it or not. And I for one liked it. A lot.
Peter James is one of those writers who tells a rollicking good story, and the pay off for the time invested is always generous. THE TRUTH is disturbing, all too plausible, and the denouement is very cleverly done.
Another winner. And that's the truth.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 February 2008
This is utterly enthralling, I loved it, although I did think the ending as far as Mr Sarotzini was concerned, was perhaps a bit of an anti climax. That said it is a really great book that keeps you gripped all the way through until the very last sentence, I would love to know what happened afterwards. I have never yet been disappointed by any of Peter James's books, all that I have read have been brilliant. Can't wait to read another one.
on 2 January 2010
I do not normally read occult novels (if that's the right term) but as a fan of the Inspector Grace series I thought I'd give this one a try. I was gripped by the book for about the first 400 pages and could hardly put it down. James certainly has the knack of making you want to keep on turning the page.

Many of the trademarks of an Inspector Grace novel are here, such as the creepy character who is stalking and spying on the innocent couple and his even more chilling and evil master. The house that John and Susan fall in love with but can't really afford is described so well you feel you want to live there too. John, the husband is very believable, with his tendencies to weakness under pressure - but you like him all the more because he is human and not a cardboard hero.

The occult aspect of the plot is something you are quite prepared to believe as you read, partly because a lot of it can be explained by psychological factors and also because of the sheer skill of the writing. There are some violent and bloody episodes but the book does not wallow unnecessarily in blood, guts and horror - not being familiar with this sort of novel, I was slightly nervous about this! The suspense and excitement comes mostly from plot and situation, rather than from making you recoil in disgust.

I have given four stars instead of five because while I was gripped by the first four-fifths of the book, I found the pace slackened off somewhat for the final part - which is the opposite of what one would expect in a suspense novel. It felt as though Peter James had raced along for 400 pages and then had to sit back and mechanically work out how to bring it all to a conclusion, making the last part seem a bit contrived. However, the short epilogue brings it all together very cleverly and makes an ending that is neat and satisfying yet still leaves you wondering what happens next.
on 16 December 1998
You're into the gripping storyline within the first three pages. From then on it simply flows and hopefully no one in your family requires anything from you as you can't tear yourself away! At no pojnt do you lose track of the characters or the plot. The only bad thing I have to say is that it finally ends!
on 7 December 2002
What is the truth of the baby being carried and of the mysterious man who paid to have the surrogate mother. Devil worshipping , and yet an almost believable story.
Yet again Peter James delivers the goods , The Alchemist still remains my favourite James book but every offering seems to differ and yet thrill. If you have never read a Peter James book give yourselve a treat
on 18 July 2009
This my 1st Peter James book, I have got to admit I got it due to such positive reviews on Amazon. When I 1st started reading it, I really thought I had made a mistake as thought abit slow, I didn`t want to quit it though. Boy glad I didn`t, it got me hooked, I couldn`t put it down..it keep me on the edge of my seat, it was mind blowing & kept me desperate to know what happpened..(don`t want to give away anything) must say though Kundz is seriously weird. When I completed the book it left me creeped out, however upset it was finished. So a warning has to be given...this book is addictive & an excellent chilling read. If you love chilling, occult books you will love this. Looking forward to more addictive Peter James`s books.
on 18 February 2009
When I realised the plot involved devil worshippers, I wondered how plausible it could be. But the tension builds up right from the beginning and what happens to the characters seems completely plausible. I read this book very quickly, with bated breath and couldn't put it down. Even if you don't believe in pure evil, this story shows that many people do, and the lengths they will go to further their aims. It makes you wonder about the source of evil doings around us, and how vulnerable we may be to them unknowingly . The writing is intelligent and informed too.
on 10 July 2013
THIS BOOK IS A REALLY,REALLY GOOD READ.THERE HAVE NOT BEEN MANY BOOKS THAT I CAN TRULY SAY,I LITERALLY READ FROM 'COVER TO COVER' IN MORE OR LESS ONE SITTING.IT HAS A SUPERNATURAL THEME REMINDS ME VERY MUCH OF A VERY WELL-KNOWN AND REALLY POPULAR FILM OF THE 1970's,BUT IN PRINT HOLDS MORE SUSPENSE.I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND.WHAT YOU READ IN THE SYNOPSIS OF THE BOOK,IS WHAT YOU GET-BUT READ IT ANYWAY--YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED AND I AM NOTORIOUSLY DIFFICULT TO PLEASE!
on 24 July 2013
I have read most of Peter James books and they are all without exception excellent. This book is such a departure from the Roy Grace series that it's almost impossible to believe it was written by the same author. 'The Truth' had me gripped from the beginning to the end. Despite being about the occult it was very believable and in fact put me in mind of the fabulous Dennis Wheatley books I read back in the 1950's and 60's only far more credible.