TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2014
Utopia is the last book in a trilogy which is itself a spin off series of Issac Asimov's Robot quadrilogy. So ideally you should read these first:

(Quadrilogy)
1 -Caves of Steel
2 -The Naked Sun
3 -The Robots of Dawn
4 -Robots and Empire

(Book one and two of this trilogy)
5 -Isaac Asimov's Caliban
6 -Isaac Asimov's "Inferno"

Each book gives a brief background of the information you need so this trilogy could be read on their own without too much issue I should think.

Although this series has Issac Asimov's name on it it's actually written by Roger MacBride Allen. He is a sci-fi author I hadn't previously heard of but is certainly on my radar due to the way he handled Asimov's universe with respect yet ventured fourth with new ideas.

The first two books are more inclined towards being sci-fi detective novels. Utopia takes a slight change of direction focusing more on a political plot focusing on different factions manouvering around a plan to ecologically save the planet of Inferno by dropping a comet on the planet to create a polar sea. The planet is possibly doomed if they do, it almost definitely is if they don't.

It wraps up many of the elements from the previous novels such as Allen's new law robots, while adding in some new excitable elements. The book is well paced and is an excellent conclusion to a series that has surprised me since I started reading it, I found it hard to put down whenever I picked it up.

+ Excellent conclusion to the trilogy.
+ Plotline is clever.
+ Found it hard to put down.
+ Political aspect is a nice change of pace.
on 25 August 2000
The author concludes his trilogy with a change of style to a political angle (from the first two detective novels Caliban and Utopia) but still developing the 'new' and 'no' law robot mythology. Similar in quality to the first two but lacking the magic of an actual Asimov robot novel.
on 26 May 2015
Wonderful book condition ace, author writes like Asimov, good solid stories
on 22 March 2014
I recalled having read this some decades ago. So my memory of the story was somewhat addled; but I did enjoy it immensely. The use of computers and robots in his stories always fires my imagination, and this was no exception. I like the way some of the robots are given personalities and some are not. It helps to weave a good story.