on 20 August 2002
I agree with everybody else. I got this book free with a magazine a few years ago and re-read every couple of months. I have to say it's one of my faves. The fact that Maddy isn't a size 8 makes the book all the more enjoyable. I also enjoyed 'jumping to conclusions' because you get to go back and see how Maddy is doing a year or so down the line. The Charcters become like friends and reading 'jumping' is like visiting old friends you've lost contact with. Excellent. More Christina Jones Please!
on 7 February 2004
I got this book free a couple of years ago from a magazine and have re-read it so many time thats fallen to bits. The humour in this book is great and the characters are so well written you feel as if you have met them in person. After reading i found other books by jones and found them enthralling also. Definitly worth a read by anyone who loves to laugh and cry whilst reading one book.
on 2 September 2000
If you feel like making new friends, moving to an English village, read Going the Distance. In the village of Milton St. John, Maddy Beckett, on the back of an old affair, meets Drew Fitzgerald and the attraction is immediate, obvious, absorbing, erotic ... of course, he's married. Well, he would be, wouldn't he? And his wife's nice! How unfair. How like life. So how's it resolved ...? If you decide to read Christina Jones's books set in Milton St. John, do yourself a huge favour and read them in sequence. And look forward to being absorbed.
on 1 May 2000
This book had me completely from the start! From the first time I read it and as of now I must of read it around twenty times, I still find myself getting involved in the story lines.
All the characters are well written and well based. It is very very difficult to not get caught up in the feeling of this book. Trust me by the end you will be on tender hooks waiting for the next instalement of Maddy and Drew!
on 13 February 2001
A "freebie" given to me in a magazine "goody bag" at Burghley Horse Trials, "Going the Distance" was the first book I read by Christina Jones, and it converted me! After reading the tale of Maddy, the most adorable heroine possible, and Drew, I couldn't wait for the next installment! Having never heard of "Amazon.co.uk" it took me over a year to find another of Christina Jones' books, but it was well worth the wait. I now intend to get all her books via this website, but "Going the Distance" remains my favourite. It is a funny, easy read, the kind of book that just begs to be curled up with. The characters are loveable, more so because they are "real" and flawed. Definately the best book in my extensive collection. If you like any of her other books, you'll love this.
on 5 February 2002
I must have read this book about five or six times now, and it just gets better every time. Christina Jones is a great writer and her characters are both realistic and extremely amusing!
Highly recommended.
on 12 April 2001
I read these backwards, so just finished this title. I love this story of Maddy and Drew. Jones is a good writer - tight dialogue, believeable situations, real characters. She has the flavor of Jennifer Crusie (without the sex) and Katie Fforde, two other strong writers of contemporary romances. There's a dash of Dick Francis, too. I can't wait to read more - I'm a librarian and am recommending that we go back and purchase as many as possible for our patrons.
on 8 May 2000
i was amazed when i read this book. My Aunt is the Author of it, and at first i was reluctant to read it. i am 12 years old, so it's not really my thing. however, ny mother and grandmother ( who are not related to her in anyway, except through me ) both read it and said it was great. my grandmother is now a number 1 fan and goes to every book opening Chris has. anyway,... one day, i had nothing to read at school, my mother insisted that i take the book. all my friends thought it was great having an author in the family ( not the first relitive thats an author in fact ) so i read it. i couldn't put it down! my Aunt says that she will write a book about me and my cousins. She already used me for something anyway... my name! anyone who's not sure about this book, BUY IT! you won't regret it. nobody in my class at school has...
on 26 June 2007
I have read this book so many times that it has began to fall apart and Ive began to stick the cover back on with tape! lol! I'm actually now looking for a new copy! It is clearly a romantic tale that we only see in stories...for a start Maddy is madly in love with Drew and when you look back at the story they've only seen each other 3 times, before Maddy comes to this realisation!!! fast or what! The romance between them becomes so serious so fast that it can be quiet shocking and unrealistic, but its so wonderful to meet a 'real' sized heroine who wins the heart of a drop dead gorgeous man!!! It is a beautiful story, a truely great summer read!!! i've read it at least once every summer since 1997!!! BUY this you crazy romantics!!!
on 12 January 2014
I have read this book about 6 or 7 times and never get fed up of it, it's brilliant.
The storyline is very good and you just have your own image of what Drew looks like (drool.....)
Christina Jones is my favourite author, I have all her books. Her books are all set in the rural countryside which makes you wish you lived there yourself, the way she describes the characters, the settings etc gives you a clear picture in your own mind and theres always a little bit of magic and hocus pocus going on.
They are funny, enjoyable and a great read.