5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, everyone needs to read it
I LOVED this book, I really did. What a great and simple idea, to demonstrate to people what our forefathers really went through (now almost 100 years ago) for our future.

Published 18 months ago by N. L. Gill

3.0 out of 5 stars Too simple...
Published 11 months ago by Elisabeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, everyone needs to read it, 16 Jan 2013
N. L. Gill (North Wales, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24hr Trench: A Day in the Life of a Frontline Tommy (Paperback)

My 9 year old son loves it too - the pictures are excellent, and do not look staged, I especially liked the pages on the uniform, from underwear to coats, and webbing! Really well explained, all the little known facts and reasons why they did some of the things they did.

I have read it a couple of times now, and great for reference! Well done to the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a great little book, 11 Jan 2014
T Underwood ""Militiaman"" (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This is simply a great little book, it's a straight forward approach to exactly what it says, 24 Hours in the life of a trench, taken as a cross section in time on the Western Front, that my grandfathers and great uncles knew, but never spoke about.
The photographic representation was excellent and got the images fixed and explained often very simple everyday domestic things referred to in various trench diaries and or collections of Great War personal accounts, which because they were so commonplace to the men experiencing them they had no need to explain. The experimental living history aspect was brilliant, the preparation and experiencing of the making of the trench, the panels and revetments required and the sheer physical efforts required simply to move and place them (considering this would in reality have been done at night without light and under enemy fire) was as important as the actual trench diary itself.
Simplistic as this may appear to some reviewers, this is a book for anyone interested in the First world war, student or experienced scholar alike you will find some aspect of this book that will make you consider or reconsider facets of Trench life you had not previously explored, the Author is to be congratulated.
It will serve to make you read much more detailed accounts of trench warfare with a new perspective and hopefully better understanding of this daily routine.

4.0 out of 5 stars history, 29 Aug 2013
Well written, good information given, more a facts and information book rather than a reading book about the trenches. Not as expected but a good read nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... was unsure about buying this book but I am glad I did, 21 July 2014
I was unsure about buying this book but I am glad I did. The book is a wonderful recreation of a 24 hour period in the trenches for the men of the 1/5th kings liverpool regiment.

Great detail has gone into the creation of this mock trench and also the photography. Chapters describe the soldiers equipment and the creation of the trench. From the 24 hour period we see in depth the various life that an individual soldier lived in the trenches.

This book really comes alive when coupled with a memoir from soldiers who were there. This book is a brilliant resource for further research. Very well written and researched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fascinating, 1 Sep 2012
I really enjoyed this book. Wonderfully detailed, and full of research and years of learning, this is a pioneering book based around the superb idea of recreating daily life in a First World War trench - its routines, its equipment, its food and so on. Re-enactors often concentrate on recreating battles and combat, but by recreating the everyday life of soldiers we often learn far more. This is an excellent book which is nicely illustrated throughout, making for a highly memorable work of reference for the study of the Great War.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too simple..., 22 Aug 2013
I have mixed feelings about this book - I thought the idea, the design and the concept was very interesting, I'm impressed with the effort they made to do this project, and the pictures were fantastic! But it was shorter and simpler than I had expected, and I also felt many passages/sentences were very unclear (in many places, a comma would have made a big difference!). I got the impression that the text was a bit hurriedly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book related to the Great War, 27 Dec 2012
I can highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in WW1 and what it was ljke to be in the trenches.

24hr Trench: A Day in the Life of a Frontline Tommy
24hr Trench: A Day in the Life of a Frontline Tommy by Andrew Robertshaw (Paperback - 13 Aug 2012)
10.49