Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 February 2016
good book
on 24 October 2014
Excellent, very moving, poignant.
on 28 March 2014
My father was evacuated from Guernsey to Oldham in 1940 and his life was never the same again. Gillian gets into the hearts of the evacuees and shows a special understanding that makes her stand out from other writers. This book keeps my father's memory alive and, though it still makes me cry, will always be a very special part of my family's history.
on 12 March 2014
I bought this book for my eleven year old son who was doing a topic at school on world war 2. He normally has to be nagged to read, but after only a few pages in he couldn't put it down. He has shown so much enthusiasm and interest during his time reading it and has learnt so much about what people had to endure during this time. He has already asked when the next book will be out. I would definitely have no hesitation in recommending this book it's both child and adult friendly and written so beautifully. I'm a teaching assistant and work in a school and will definitely be taking it in when we are doing our topic on world war 2.
on 27 January 2014
I was one of those evacuees. Gillian has done a service to social history by contacting people both in Guernsey and in North West England, now mostly in their seventies or older and recording their experiences of 1940 - 1945. This redaction of eye witness accounts brings together much information about a unique and difficult period in British history. In the space of two days or so a large proportion of the schoolchildren in Guernsey, then a quiet rural community. left their parents and were evacuated to North West England and Scotland a few days in advance of the German occupation of the Channel Islands. They had little contact with their parents during those five formative years of their lives and many formed strong bonds with their foster parents. Gillian has also recorded and examined the effect upon the foster parents when their adopted children left them in the summer of 1945 and the difficulties that many children found when reunited with parents that they had not seen for five years. She must be commended for undertaking this work and contacting so many now ageing people whilst still alive to tell of their experiences.
on 16 June 2013
I bought this book for my mother, whose family took in one of the Guernsey evacuees. My family is included in the book, with a photograph of my mother and her temporary sibling.
My grandmother kept in touch with "her" evacuee for the rest of her life; there were letters and photographs exchanged. As a post-war child I always wondered who this person was in my mother's and grandarent's life.
A wonderful outcome is that my mother is now back in touch with her wartime sister, now they are both elderly people, and she has told me some previously unknown stories of the time they were together during the war, including sheltering from air-raids together on a mattress in the "glory hole" ( I think this is a Manchester expression) under the stairs.
Thank you Gillian Mawson.
on 26 February 2013
Gill Mawson's book is a delight real people come to life off the page with quotes from their childhood as Evacuees.If you want an insight into the lives of the Guernsey Evacuees and their host families,then look no further!Bought this for my Mum who is featured in the book as one of the host families and she loves it and so do I!
on 24 February 2013
I bought this as a present for my father - but his birthday is in April, so he hasn't seen it yet. He loves Manchester and Guernsey though, so I'm sure he'll love it
on 21 February 2013
Very well researched, well written and interesting as I was a Guernsey evacuee during the war ! So many photos was a great benefit .....
on 19 February 2013
Clear, concise , factual, moving, how many adjectives apply here? One of the most interesting and informative reads I have had in years. A credit to the author for the hard work and exhaustive research needed to produce such an interesting book.