Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 January 2013
This revised edition is an accumulation of two decades of fieldwork and research and presents a comprehensive account of the prehistoric rock art in the North York Moors, the last major site of rock art in Northern England to have been recorded. The geographical location of sites and correlation to other moorland monuments is discussed but its focus remains the rock art on Fylingdales Moor near Ravenscar where, following a devastating moorland fire in 2003, over 200 sites were recorded including the stunning Linear Marked Stone.

A comprehensive gazetteer of all known rock art sites within the North York Moors area is included together with a section on current recording techniques including laser and Photogrammetry. Two appendices also provide details of recent major discoveries within the North York Moors area.

Paul Brown, independent archaeologist, has discovered many of Northern England's finest examples of prehistoric rock art as well as those in many other areas of the UK including Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland and Scotland. In 1999 together with his wife Barbara he discovered and recorded the unique rock art panel at Copt Howe in Great Langdale in the Lake District.

Graham Chappell is an independent rock art researcher who has been engaged in the study and recording of sites within the North York Moors over many years to which he has added numerous new discoveries.

Correction Paul Brown "Author" name omitted from sellers Blurb?
on 16 June 2013
I can’t praise this book enough; it has opened a complete new world to me. I have found it exceptionally detailed and informative, especially for a complete novice like myself. I do a lot of walking on the North Yorkshire Moors and its peripheries and a couple of years ago I realised that I was walking past a lot of things that I found intriguing and which I knew very little about such as Standing Stones, Round Barrows, Crosses etc. Consequently I made a point of finding out about them and arranging my walks accordingly to have a look at them. Anyway whilst planning a walk to look at some Round Barrows in the Ravenscar area I came across references to Cup and Ring Stones which though I had heard of them , I had no real idea as to what they were and I decided to keep my eye open for them whilst doing the walk. However due to my ignorance and lack of knowledge I realised that I hadn’t a clue as to what I was looking at and didn’t know whether I was looking at erosion or something man made etc.
So it was time to find out and a search of Amazon came up with this book which I duly purchased. As far as I am concerned it’s brilliant with a wealth of information that is easily understood and explains in detail what to look for and most importantly the ten figure OS grid reference which tells you exactly were the stones are. So for a novice like myself who is just learning about these things this is invaluable it tells me exactly where to go and what to look for.
on 10 April 2014
great book well researched with grid references that i found to be spot on when locating the stones i had not been able to find previously
on 2 January 2015
Very easy to follow with grid references and plenty of photographs. I have not yet used it out in the field so that is the next test!
on 12 July 2013
I like the book because I could use it on my holiday in North Yorkshire. The delivery was very fast and the book in god condition.
on 1 March 2015