Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Darfield and Wombwell: Then & Now (Then & Now (History Press))
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£12.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 September 2013
This book forms part of the publisher's series of comparing old photographs of locales with their modern equivalents. Brian Elliott's survey of the Darfield and Wombwell area of South Yorkshire provides forty-five such comparisons with the odd additional item thrown in for good measure.

Seventeen of these cover Darfield, twenty-four cover Wombwell, whilst there are four of Great Houghton. There are perhaps too many pictures of Wombwell High Street when I would have preferred some shots of Little Houghton, Low Valley, Broomhead, even Brampton and West Melton, none of which appear in this book.

Elliott provides very copious captions to the photographs, supplying much detail. One imaginative comparison matches Ebenezer Elliott, the `Corn Law Rhymer' with Ian McMillan, today's `Bard of Barnsley' (actually Darfield), whilst another contrasts Houghton Main male-voice choirs.

The drawback of this series of books is that all the `then' photographs are reproduced with the same sepia colour wash, even those of a more recent vintage. Some are, nevertheless, very evocative, such as that of the Houghton Main Colliery of c.1910, or the number eighteen tram on Wombwell High Street c.1929. I also particularly enjoyed the modern photograph of Lundhill Row - or what used to be Lundhill Row - and an undated `then' shot of the Dearne and Dove Canal.

At the time of writing, I have never been to the area covered by this book, but I have ancestors from Darfield. I thus look forward to visiting Darfield Museum (which features in the latest chronological `then' picture, dated 1992), as well as All Saint's Church.

There is no index.
on 6 September 2012
The book provided me with information and pictures that were familiar to me from my childhood. A well published and useful reference
on 18 July 2013
Very good book with lots of archive pictures and a well written text. If you know the area you will enjoy it immensely