4.0 out of 5 stars Bristol Brabazon, The big white Elephant., 2 Jun 2012
Roger Brown (57 Redhatch Drive,Earley,READING RG6 5QN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bristol Brabazon (Paperback)
This is an interesting book and one to be enjoyed by both historian and scholar. The book tells the history of the project very well but it also
highlights to the scholar how aircraft projects of that period were planned, highlighting how lucky we are today be able to design and build computer models and simulations of new unknown complex designs before we spend time and money.
My interest in the Bristol Brabazon and the book came from living close to Bristol. A lad growing up in the cotswolds just after the war.
The aircraft flew over our house many times, and I will always remember it as a slow moving yet beautiful looking giant.

Very little seemed to be known or had been written about the brabazon project, so this book was of great interest to me.
Also, as an aircraft engineer (now retired) I found the large numbers of Engineering plans and illustrations at each step of the build programme highly interesting and informative. A great book at the end you find yourself agreeing with the auther's introduction, also with the benefit of hindsight,and in todays world, "what on earth were those involved with it thinking about."

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for train spotters, 2 Oct 2012
D. Cummins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bristol Brabazon (Paperback)
Unlike many aeroplane books this one is full of technical detail, and I am now very well informed on the conceptual, design, engineering and flight history of this graceful giant. The best description of the structural design of an aeroplane of this era that I have read, even down to the rivets. Lots of informative photographs. How I wish I had been around to see her fly, with that enormous wing span and the big contra props.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent history of an uber-turkey, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bristol Brabazon (Paperback)
A really quite splendid book with many illustrations and it is technically accurate. The prose also is very readable.

The last chapter gives a good and fair assessment of the project, and opines that in some ways i.e. the concept of luxury transatlantic air travel, it was before its time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for those with an interest in this aircraft, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Bristol Brabazon (Paperback)
I bought this for my dad who developed an interest in this particular aircraft after discovering that the classic car he owns, a Riley RM, used to be owned by Sir Archibald Russell, chief designer of the Brabazon, I believe one one of the photos in this book shows the car.

Bristol Brabazon
Bristol Brabazon by Graham Simons (Paperback - 20 Mar 2012)
12.54