Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 January 2013
This boook covers a decade of exciting social, political, musical and fashion development Mr Tait grew up duringthis time but still gives the views he held at the start of the decade. it is superficial and I had to skip the interminable lists of number 1 hits. It is also ridiculously repetitive and limited in scope. There is such a wealth of information on this decade available its a shame no depth or characterisation was given. Wasted opportunity.
on 9 December 2011
I count myself as lucky enough to have had "A 1970s Childhood" and have my own meories of most of the things listed in this book. However, I have used in the word "listed" deliberately...this is largely a book of lists - a large proportion of the "music" chapter is entirely devoted to number one records of the 1970s, and there are various other lists including films from each year of the 70s, TV shows, even ice lollies. All these things are available for free on the internet, and probably from your own memory too. What isn't available is the author's own personal experiences, and although the book does include a few of these, there were not enough to engage my interest. I was expecting more of an autobiography which would allow seeming it seemed like more of a stream of consciousness; and as soon as the author had dispensed with home and school, he seemed to have very little to say on any other subjects and a lot of the book read like filler. There are also some annoying mistakes, such as referring to "Sebastian Cole" as setting a new world mile record. I am sure that this particular error is not the author's, but the lack of attention to detail by the typesetter/printer/whoever is unfortunately symptomatic of the whole book. On the whole, although I wouldn't recommend this as a book, I'm sure if I were to meet the author in a pub, we could keep each other entertained all night with stories of our 70s Childhoods, both of which were spent in Devon.

If the author is reading this, I apologise for my negativity. I have every respect for anyone who has the ability to write for a living.
on 22 January 2013
If this had been a free book or under £1.00 I would have been disappointed. To charge over £5.00 is scandalous! The first half is presuambly taken direct from a school jotter dating from the period in question. The second half is nothing more than a series of lists, of items such as chocolate bars, TV programmes and record titles! Some wonderful howlers too - apparently UK and Iceland solved the Cold War in 1971!
on 2 January 2014
Some of the positive reviews here include the word 'evocative', which is precisely what this book is not. As a child of the seventies, I hoped that I would be transported back to the sounds and smells of that decade, with thoughtful, maybe wistful, descriptions of how time passed in hazy domestic simplicity while the serious, adult world edged closer to atomic self-destruction. Instead, this memoir is filled with mundane statements like 'We always seemed to be out and about doing something' and 'We certainly travelled far and wide in our Viva'. The problem, I'm afraid, is that Derek Tait is not proficient enough a writer to pull off this kind of narrative; he fails to create any relationship with his readers because he lacks the skills to connect his particular childhood with the decade that we all shared as children. It was an extraordinary time, but he does not capture that. My mother gave me this as a Christmas present, with a 'Clunky Writing Style' warning attached. I tried to finish it, but could not get past Chapter 7, 'Music', in which Tait does little more than list the number ones for each year. Reducing one of the most flamboyant, creative and experimental periods in musical history to a simple roll call is criminal!!!!! (he also uses far too many exclamation marks). Sorry, mum.
on 10 October 2013
Absolute drivel, could have been written by an eleven year old as a school project, and marked down for idly replicating lists. Please don't waste your time
on 22 October 2013
It starts off quite well when it's autobiographical but then just degenerates into a boring list of 70's cliches. Not particularly well written either as the writing has no style at all. I gave up at the halfway point.
on 24 December 2014
I was the same age as the author and lived not to far away and know Plymouth very well. It brought back a few things I'd forgotten about but overall not the best book I've read about the 70s. A lot more could have been included, what about all the trouble with football hooligans,
on 7 June 2016
I had high hopes for this book and enjoyed the first few chapters though it must be said, while far more engaging than Paul Feeny's appalling 1960s counterpart from the same publisher, ultimately it still suffers from similar faults. Many of the one-star reviews hinge on the fact that Derek Tait doesn't fully engage with his subject and, sadly that's true enough, though the autobiographical element gives it a warmth entirely absent from the 1960s book. Maybe it was the author's age, but, for example, the music of the Glam era that he professed to love is brushed over with a series of pointless lists. However, it was interesting getting a perspective on the decade from well outside London, where I was growing up at the time. I didn't pay the full price for this item so (postage excepted) I don't feel particularly cheated, but I can appreciate that point of view from those who did. While the couple of howler typos mentioned elsewhere are doubtless not the author's responsibility, you can't help but wonder at just how this whole series of books made it to publication when, with such an interest in nostalgia, they are so obviously lacking. So, as Columbo would say, 'just one more thing.....': overall, while this is clearly not a well-written or even particularly intelligent read, as Mr Feeny so eloquently proved, it could have been so much worse.
on 27 June 2014
Great for a trip down memory lane and a dose of nostalgia, so many things you forget and yet loved so much. It's a bit repetitive in places and drops into lists in some parts. Overall an interesting read and I wish I could relive those 70s days again.
on 29 April 2016
I hate to say it..but as a child of the 70s I was really looking forward to this book. I am going through a bit of a nostalgic phase at the moment and have read quite a few on the subject.
Dear me...this book was tedious and I felt that the author's voice was monotone. ..as The Crusader stated it read like a set of lists...and to me lacked any humour and definitely failed to engage me too.
If you are interested in the 1970s I would recommend "Nice to see it, to see it nice" and the autobiography ofAndy Collins as a more interesting alternative..I'm afraid I can't recall the name if it.
I found the way this book was written in a childlike manner and for me all that was missing was "and then we went home for our tea"....