5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book Before You Go-Go
Published 22 months ago by BrightJP

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh!
This book is pretty harmless although it could have been so much better.

Published 18 months ago by Bluearmy

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book Before You Go-Go, 9 Sep 2012
I know its a bit of a cliche, but reading this book I have been taken on a fantastic trip down memory lane. There are so many objects, toys, experiences, smells and tastes (Hedgehog Crisps!!) in this book I had forgotten all about. Reading this had the memories all flooding back to me and nearly every one made me chuckle or smile. The author guided me through all the experiences in a gentle and humorous style. I hope Mr Johnson writes more in this vain. I will certainly be first in the queue! Thoroughly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing read., 24 Aug 2013
J. Guy Edwards "JGE" (UK) - See all my reviews
I found myself smiling a lot as I read this book. It certainly brought back many happy memories of my childhood in the eighties. I was just disappointed that the book was not longer than it actually is. I really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 1980s childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits, 7 Dec 2012
A fantastic journey down memory lane .Spoke about things that I had forgotten all about a complete pleasure will read again

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh!, 2 Jan 2013
This book is pretty harmless although it could have been so much better.

I think another reviewer has already pointed out that there are a number of mistakes (such as in the write up for Yazz and the Plastic Population's The Only Way Is Up which was released in 1988, not 1983 as stated) The author also mentions about a gazillion times over, until it gets a bit irritating, that his favourite film is Back To The Future and all he ever wanted was a hover board.

Ultimately this is a long trawl through all the things that a boy born in 1977 can remember about the 1980's and for me (born in 1970) it was all a bit obvious. I fully except the fact that the author has only listed his personal favourite movies, songs, TV shows etc - as it's his book and his right to do so - and as he was a child throughout the decade I can forgive the lack of "less-blockbuster-more-adult-orientated-films" among the list of the decades finest, but there is no mention at all of the likes of The Empire Strikes Back, Tim Burton's BatMan, Die Hard, Terminator, Airplane!, Trading Places, The Karate Kid, Gremlins etc etc. Indiana Jones only gets a cursory glance whilst we are treated to great write up's of Back to the Future, and even, erm, War Games.

Once you've waded through the lists of stuff, that chances are you'll remember anyway, the author does turn his attention to personal experiences rather than telling us that he used to chew Bazooka Joe's and ride a Raleigh Grifter. The page and a half that deal with the reality of taking a school coach trip with the guarantee of community sing-a-longs (He goes for The Wheels on the Bus. I remember Found a Peanut), someone puking, emergency wee stops and at least one kid climbing on the wrong bus was true to life and did indeed bring back many memories. There should be more of that and less of the long lists of things you can just Google if you wanted.

Oh, and no Danger Mouse, Run-Around, or cans of Quatro soft drinks? What's going on?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jun 2014
Mr. S. E. Gordon (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A 1980s Childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits (Paperback)
Excellent nostalgia and has brought back long forgotten memories of the 1980s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like reading my own life story, 5 Jun 2014
For people of a certain age this book will hammer home some truly great memories, for the younger generations out there just read it and be envious of just how great our childhood was compared to yours!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Days!, 27 May 2014
Chez (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
It's amazing what I've forgotten and this book reminds me of! An easy read to pick up anytime, ideal to spark a conversation amongst those of a similar age, or those with children who were born in the 80's. Well set out, in chapters relating to toys, fashion, television, music etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: A 1980s Childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits (Paperback)
I managed to read this in a few days, I just couldn't put it down ! Took me right back to my childhood in the 80s. I will read it again and again

4.0 out of 5 stars Smile - it's the 80s, 10 Mar 2014
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you remember the 1980s then this will be a little trip down memory lane. There were some things in here I didn't remember until I read this and it jogged my memory.
Full of fun, interesting little bits of 80s trivia, this will help you remember those distant childhood 80s days.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 14 Feb 2014
Loved this book as it simply allowed me to recover all the wonderful memories of being young. Highly recommend this !

A 1980s Childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits
A 1980s Childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits by Michael A Johnson (Paperback - 1 Sep 2012)
7.73