5.0 out of 5 stars Armchair time-travelling at its best, 18 Dec 2009
Mish (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
What a wonderful book! Anyone with even the remotest interest in the history of Birmingham will be fascinated by this collection of maps, images and easy-to-read descriptions. Starting with Joseph Hill's conjectural plan of Birmingham dated 1553, the reader can time-travel across the centuries and see Birmingham's growth from market town to second city through the medium of the cartographer's art, augmented by many contemporary illustrations and a fast-paced narrative that informs but never tires. The maps have been reproduced both in their entirety, as well as in enlarged segments to enable ease of study. Colours have been attractively added to the black-and-white originals providing a sense of reality and depth as well as making map study far easier on the eyes. All in all, a much-enjoyed read and a book I suspect I will return to often.

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable mapping present to myself, 6 Jan 2010
Mr. David C. Murrian (england) - See all my reviews
excellent series of historical maps, with detailed enlargements, of the city. Found things which I had not previously been aware of. Often makes the need for magnifying glass redundant and would recommend the book to anyone interested in the historical development of Birmimgham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help with information on Birmingham for my family tree!, 16 April 2010
Following on from Census data I was able to find where my relations lived on the maps and by reading the text found historical information about Birmingham that helped but it all in context. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham History, 9 July 2011
A fascinating book - brought as a gift for friend who left Birmingham in the late 1950's, couldn't hand the present over till I had read it myself though. The book gives a insight in to the years gone by. My friend has read and reread the book and was delighted and still makes comment of how the maps took him back to youth and the memories that came back.

5.0 out of 5 stars History of Birmingham in Maps, 22 May 2012
This review is from: Birmingham: A History in Maps (Paperback)
Anyone interested in the history of Birmingham will be fascinated by this excellent collection of maps about England's second city. Many of the maps brought to life things I had previously known about Birmingham, but had never seen. It also helped me to see the backdrop against which much of Birmingham's existing structures would have previously stood against.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful facsimiles, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Birmingham: A History in Maps (Paperback)
Lovely, easy to open, easy to view book. Clear printing. This book gives me the resource to continue my storytelling of Birinham in the early years. I'm tracking my family's progress from farm labourers to brass tack makers and beyond. Lovely book

ARRAY(0xab56f594)

Birmingham: A History in Maps
Birmingham: A History in Maps by Paul Leslie Line (Paperback - 1 Nov 2011)
11.55